Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 30
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

There are some reasons to not flip out...

1. DG has improved every year and will be a senior.
    2. Scotty was a heck of a shooter last year, even while playing through mono.
    3. Dendy showed some serious flashes of being a stud.
    4. JVB does cause match up problems with his ability to shoot.
    5. Marvin Ejim and DeMarcus Phillips. A focus on spring recruting might have some forgetting that we have already signed a couple of guys who can be difference makers. Some of the defections will actually help get these guys on the floor more and that is likely a very good thing. I can't wait to see them in Cardinal and Gold.
    6. I am not trashing anyone who was here, but having three guys who were almost certainly playing to improve their individual standing for the NBA or german pro league at least to a small degree, and one guy who walked out on his teammates and coaches, means there was a lot of individualism. I am hopeful that this year's group can be much more team oriented.
    7. The Big 12 will not be as tough next year.
    8. It sounds like Nurse will be an assistant, and I have heard that his strength may be keeping guys on track and happy.
    9. If we had problems between assistant coaches and the players, hopefully MAC was behind getting the right assistants to leave!
    10. CHARLES BOOZER.....Do you remember how he was really just starting to make a huge difference just before his injury? He has said publicly that he will make a difference next year, and will lead our guys in working to get back to where we should be. I admire that.....his attitude alone would have probably got us to the NIT if not injured this past year, so I believe he can make a difference this year too.
    11. Mac is an Iowan, and when things don't go well for Iowans, we buck up, work harder, work smarter, and improve. Dan McCarney was the perfect example of that. Although some have the ending to this story already written, any one of us Iowa kids is born and bred to be an underdog who is able to turn it up a notch when our back is against the wall. I expect to see Mac will have done that over this off season.

In summary, I am just sayin' that DGarrett, SChristopherson, DPhillips, CBoozer, MEjim, JVanderBeeken, and LDendy and especially if we pick up one more big guy who is ok, is a group that in developing good chemistry, might actually perform better than a more talented group that didn't have a team outlook.

Although we might not be where we want to be, there are still a few reasons to be optimistic and to look forward to the season. I plan to be there supporting the Cyclones.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 358
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: There are some reasons to not flip out...

Quote Originally Posted by Iowast8isgr8 View Post
    5. Marvin Ejim and DeMarcus Phillips. A focus on spring recruting might have some forgetting that we have already signed a couple of guys who can be difference makers. Some of the defections will actually help get these guys on the floor more and that is likely a very good thing. I can't wait to see them in Cardinal and Gold.
    6. I am not trashing anyone who was here, but having three guys who were almost certainly playing to improve their individual standing for the NBA or german pro league at least to a small degree, and one guy who walked out on his teammates and coaches, means there was a lot of individualism. I am hopeful that this year's group can be much more team oriented.
    8. It sounds like Nurse will be an assistant, and I have heard that his strength may be keeping guys on track and happy.
    9. If we had problems between assistant coaches and the players, hopefully MAC was behind getting the right assistants to leave!
    10. CHARLES BOOZER.....Do you remember how he was really just starting to make a huge difference just before his injury? He has said publicly that he will make a difference next year, and will lead our guys in working to get back to where we should be. I admire that.....his attitude alone would have probably got us to the NIT if not injured this past year, so I believe he can make a difference this year too.
    11. Mac is an Iowan, and when things don't go well for Iowans, we buck up, work harder, work smarter, and improve. Dan McCarney was the perfect example of that. Although some have the ending to this story already written, any one of us Iowa kids is born and bred to be an underdog who is able to turn it up a notch when our back is against the wall. I expect to see Mac will have done that over this off season.

In summary, I am just sayin' that DGarrett, SChristopherson, DPhillips, CBoozer, MEjim, JVanderBeeken, and LDendy and especially if we pick up one more big guy who is ok, is a group that in developing good chemistry, might actually perform better than a more talented group that didn't have a team outlook.

Although we might not be where we want to be, there are still a few reasons to be optimistic and to look forward to the season. I plan to be there supporting the Cyclones.
    you must either be related to greg or someone on the staff... this is all *********, this team WILL BE the worst team in Iowa State basketball history. PERIOD. END OF STORY

Prospect
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 246
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

I can appreciate someone trying to find some, if any, good in a very, very bad situation. Im usually a very optimistic person by nature, but even I am having a hard time with this. I dont want to be one who completely takes the opposite stance as you in all your reasons not to flip out, but I find most of them just a complete stretch. I see very few bright spots for next year.

1. DG has improved every year and will be a senior. Its sad when DG is our #1 "reason" and is the biggest "bright spot" for next year.
    2. Scotty was a heck of a shooter last year, even while playing through mono. I do respect his toughness to play through pain and sickness. But he needs MAJOR improvements before next year in every other aspect of his offensive game.
    3. Dendy showed some serious flashes of being a stud. The other 85% of the time looked like garbage.
    4. JVB does cause match up problems with his ability to shoot. Agreed.
    5. Marvin Ejim and DeMarcus Phillips. A focus on spring recruting might have some forgetting that we have already signed a couple of guys who can be difference makers. Some of the defections will actually help get these guys on the floor more and that is likely a very good thing. I can't wait to see them in Cardinal and Gold. We have no idea how these two will pan out at the D1 level. Im not banking on another Gilstrap-type first year for them.
    6. I am not trashing anyone who was here, but having three guys who were almost certainly playing to improve their individual standing for the NBA or german pro league at least to a small degree, and one guy who walked out on his teammates and coaches, means there was a lot of individualism. I am hopeful that this year's group can be much more team oriented. - They better be team oriented because individually we have 0 studs -- maybe 0 guys who could even actually start for another B12 team.
    7. The Big 12 will not be as tough next year. And yet I'm afraid we'll be holding up the rear.
    8. It sounds like Nurse will be an assistant, and I have heard that his strength may be keeping guys on track and happy. - I dont even know what this really means.
    10. CHARLES BOOZER.....Do you remember how he was really just starting to make a huge difference just before his injury? He has said publicly that he will make a difference next year, and will lead our guys in working to get back to where we should be. I admire that.....his attitude alone would have probably got us to the NIT if not injured this past year, so I believe he can make a difference this year too. I agree about Boozer--we definitely need his work ethic and leadership this year. Lets hope his positive influence can rub off on the new guys.

Last edited by LoyalSon; 04-16-2010 at 07:17 AM.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 80.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 982
    Given: 523

I agree on all counts with the general spirit of the original post. I really do like all of those players, and hopefully the increased playing time will accelerate the learning curve of the young guys. It would still be surprising to see them succeed at a level that would take the heat off coaching. I've never seen a hotter seat for a coach.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,764
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 17

I'd like to welcome Doug McDermott to Cyclonefanatic.com.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,165
    Given: 1,023

I think Ejim will be a very good one in a year or two, but I don't see any freshman as a difference maker right away.

I know we're hearing about Boozer's good recovery, but it still remains to be seen how that is going to parlay into the court.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

All-Star
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    I agree on all counts with the general spirit of the original post. I really do like all of those players, and hopefully the increased playing time will accelerate the learning curve of the young guys. It would still be surprising to see them succeed at a level that would take the heat off coaching. I've never seen a hotter seat for a coach.
    That's one of the things that's so puzzling. Listening to his boss, it doesn't sound like his seat is real hot. Jamie's body of work at ISU has been effective, but the MBB part of it is a disaster. It's like that thing on Sesame Street - "which of these things doesn't belong?"

Early commit - fall 2024

Starter
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 168
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

One thing that keeps confusing me is how JVB is going to cause matchup problems. If he is our 4-man, I would be willing to be that just about every other team in the Big 12 outside of a Nebraska has a 4-man that is more athletic than JVB and could easily matchup with him on the outside, and in return cause JVB fits on defense. I really don't see JVB back as being that huge of a difference maker for us.

...Straight going donkey...

Speechless
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 442
    Given: 295

Isn't this chicken being counted before it's hatched? Weren't we discussing just recently whether LaRon Dendy will even be academically eligible to play?

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Pro
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 920
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 14

I like the majority of our returning players. I am concerned about filling the spots that the defected players left open. JVB is going to have to spend more time inside the paint and less around the 3-point line where he likes to shoot. I am not looking forward to the slow down style I am expecting due to our lack of bench but I'm not reading any further posts or articles about the players that have left.

I am looking forward to watching the players that are honoring their commitments. All these players get lost in the shuffle because of all the talk about transfers. The players sticking it out are the real heros on this team and are the ones that should be getting attention. They ARE OUR Cyclones, and I am proud of their continued commitment.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 370
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 25

the biggest problem is GMac has consistantly shown that he can do far less with much more than is going to be available next season.

Pro
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 221
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 1

You lost me with this one

Starter
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 670
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I think its sad that the people who support the basketball team now, just get harassed by everyone else. It is kind of ridiculous. The OP brings up some good points, is he 100% correct, maybe not. But don't kill him for wanting to have little as opposed to most of you who will be like the Hawkeye fans that we all trashed last year for not showing up to games...

Eternal Optimist

Speechless
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 19

Bump for a well thought out post.

+1

Addict
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,420
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

I mostly agree with the OP. Things aren't as bad as they seem. But things aren't peachy, either.