Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 238
    Given: 164

Larry Bird in todays game

I doubt anyone else would care about this, however I was reading a thread in my other favorite board that had to do with Larry Bird and how he was great. The thread turned into how Larry Bird was good for back then but wouldnt be top 5 player today. These people are rediculous, I thought some of you would like to read some of the most ignorant sports related things Ive heard in my life.

Not sure if this Larry Bird vid has been posted... but damn - Bodybuilding.com Forums

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 741
    Given: 92

Re: Larry Bird in todays game

Mmm, depends. If he trained and was developed like these guys maybe. I just don't think he was athletic enough the way he was then to do it today. I cannot see him ever touching a LeBron, Melo or Kobe. Now, if he could grow up under the same conditions with the technology, supplements, knowledge we have now, then I think he would make it.

It's all snark from here on out

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    Mmm, depends. If he trained and was developed like these guys maybe. I just don't think he was athletic enough the way he was then to do it today. I cannot see him ever touching a LeBron, Melo or Kobe. Now, if he could grow up under the same conditions with the technology, supplements, knowledge we have now, then I think he would make it.
    Whaaaaa? He wasnt athletic compared to players back then and he finished as a top 3 player of all time! I would have to say that he would easily do the same today. There isnt one player in the L today that is as good as him. Not one. I agree being to slow to guard a Kobe or Lamebron which is why he wouldnt guard them. This is coming from a Magic Johnson fan, I really hate Bird but come on!

Addict
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,319
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 43

He'd be in the same category as a guy like Dirk IMO. Not a top 5 player but definitely an elite player. Bird had too much skill not to be successful in any era. The guys were plenty athletic in his day, too.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bringmagicback View Post
    Whaaaaa? He wasnt athletic compared to players back then and he finished as a top 3 player of all time! I would have to say that he would easily do the same today. There isnt one player in the L today that is as good as him. Not one. I agree being to slow to guard a Kobe or Lamebron which is why he wouldnt guard them. This is coming from a Magic Johnson fan, I really hate Bird but come on!
    Who are you going to have him guard then? You honestly think that he is a top 5 player today? There weren't a bunch of guys in the league as good as LeBron, Kobe, Melo, Durant. Like I said, the training and the attitude were different. Back then kids weren't the same. These guys have played ball and only focused on it for their entire lives. It wasn't the same then. LeBron and Kobe would take him to the shed. I don't think he is top 5 if he plays today.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Drive4cy View Post
    He'd be in the same category as a guy like Dirk IMO. Not a top 5 player but definitely an elite player. Bird had too much skill not to be successful in any era. The guys were plenty athletic in his day, too.
    There you go. He would be good, but the game is more about athleticism today than it used to be.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Who are you going to have him guard then? You honestly think that he is a top 5 player today? There weren't a bunch of guys in the league as good as LeBron, Kobe, Melo, Durant. Like I said, the training and the attitude were different. Back then kids weren't the same. These guys have played ball and only focused on it for their entire lives. It wasn't the same then. LeBron and Kobe would take him to the shed. I don't think he is top 5 if he plays today.
    If they were playing the Lakers? He would guard Artest or really anyone other than Kobe. If the cavs? Any of their hack players other than LJ. Kobe was the best dfensive player on the lakers before Artest came yet didnt guard the best player, he plays a free safety roll. Plus if hes guarding a post player, the likelyhood of them being super athletic isnot 100% . I would say hes as athletic as 50% of post players today. Its not like he was bad at D. He would be as good or better than anyone on offense in the L today, plus he was a pretty damn good rebounder. Also, I dont think Melo or Durant would have much success in the 80's early 90s. Kobe and Lebron might even have some trouble w/ the phisical side of things bacvk then, however they would still be very successful. So your saying thatLarry Bird didnt focus on BBall his entire life? I would go out on a limb and say Bird spent more time in a gym than Kobe or LJ. I will say for a fact that Bird is lightyears ahead of where LJ is offensively right now. Bird was better or as good as Jordan his whole career until he hurt his back. Do not put Durant on the same level as Bird, wtf? serious? The comparisons to Dirk are not even close other than they are tall and white. If Dirk was black you wouldnt even think of them the same way. Dirk is great but he isnt near a Larry freaking Bird are you kidden me?

All-Star
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 106
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 24

Quote Originally Posted by Drive4cy View Post
    I gotta disagree with you on that.. maybe you just have a much higher opinion of Dirk than I do.. while he is good, his skills with the ball are no where even close to Bird.. While not as athletic as todays players, he wouldnt have to be to do what he did with the ball.. I think he would still dominate.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULvo7__wwBU&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Larry Bird the best ever[/ame]#!

Watch this video, granted highlight video but its not like Bird was in a wheelchair, pretty athletic looking to me.

BRB, time traveling to get Bird and bringing him back to watch him intentional foul LJ and then knocking his teeth down his throat and laughing at him while he crys.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

If they were playing the Lakers? He would guard Artest or really anyone other than Kobe. If the cavs? Any of their hack players other than LJ. Kobe was the best dfensive player on the lakers before Artest came yet didnt guard the best player, he plays a free safety roll. Plus if hes guarding a post player, the likelyhood of them being super athletic isnot 100% . I would say hes as athletic as 50% of post players today. Its not like he was bad at D. He would be as good or better than anyone on offense in the L today, plus he was a pretty damn good rebounder. Also, I dont think Melo or Durant would have much success in the 80's early 90s. Kobe and Lebron might even have some trouble w/ the phisical side of things bacvk then, however they would still be very successful. So your saying thatLarry Bird didnt focus on BBall his entire life? I would go out on a limb and say Bird spent more time in a gym than Kobe or LJ. I will say for a fact that Bird is lightyears ahead of where LJ is offensively right now. Bird was better or as good as Jordan his whole career until he hurt his back. Do not put Durant on the same level as Bird, wtf? serious? The comparisons to Dirk are not even close other than they are tall and white. If Dirk was black you wouldnt even think of them the same way. Dirk is great but he isnt near a Larry freaking Bird are you kidden me?
    Time in the gym doesn't mean much. A lot of poeple spend a bunch of time in the gym. Larry Bird did not have the opportunity to play a lot of competetive structured basketball. There are way more opportunities as far as AAu and things like that now then there were then. You make the race argument for Dirk. Could the same argument be made for Larry? Maybe. He hasn't scored even closely to how LeBron and Kobe have scored. LB was also nowhere near Micheal Jordan.

What do you consider a post player? Is Kevin Durant? Is Rashard Lewis? Dirk? Odom?

You do know Kevin Durant goes to the line more than anyone right? It seems to me he is looking for contact. LeBron is in the same catergory. I will be consistent in this argument in every sport. As we evolve we become more athletic and better at sports in general. That is how the world works.

Bird is light years ahead of LeBron? Come on. The numbers really aren't even close and LJ came straight from high school.

You will have your opinion and Iwill have mine, but mine is that Bird isn't a Top 5 player in today's game. Mine would be, in no particular order, LJ, KB, KD, Brandon Roy, healthy Chris Paul, all for different reasons. Derek Rose will also be there. The athleticism in a guys like Rose is the epitome of my argument. How many point guards had that size and could do what he does? magic could. Magic, IMO is the second best to ever play the game. Magic would be a top 5 guy, IMO because he had the size and athleticism.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,347
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 119
    Given: 15

Time in the gym doesn't mean much. A lot of poeple spend a bunch of time in the gym. Larry Bird did not have the opportunity to play a lot of competetive structured basketball. There are way more opportunities as far as AAu and things like that now then there were then. You make the race argument for Dirk. Could the same argument be made for Larry? Maybe. He hasn't scored even closely to how LeBron and Kobe have scored. LB was also nowhere near Micheal Jordan.

What do you consider a post player? Is Kevin Durant? Is Rashard Lewis? Dirk? Odom?

You do know Kevin Durant goes to the line more than anyone right? It seems to me he is looking for contact. LeBron is in the same catergory. I will be consistent in this argument in every sport. As we evolve we become more athletic and better at sports in general. That is how the world works.

Bird is light years ahead of LeBron? Come on. The numbers really aren't even close and LJ came straight from high school.

You will have your opinion and Iwill have mine, but mine is that Bird isn't a Top 5 player in today's game. Mine would be, in no particular order, LJ, KB, KD, Brandon Roy, healthy Chris Paul, all for different reasons. Derek Rose will also be there. The athleticism in a guys like Rose is the epitome of my argument. How many point guards had that size and could do what he does? magic could. Magic, IMO is the second best to ever play the game. Magic would be a top 5 guy, IMO because he had the size and athleticism.
    I read a recent SI article about how the BB players who went straight to the NBA are actually not going to be playing much longer at a high level than those who waited. Their bodies, even though they are freaks physically, are still not able to handle the rigors of professional basketball just because they are a few years younger. Kobe has made some transitions to his game looking for less contact and more finesse. If Lebron and the other reckless players (Wade among them) don't start taking care of their bodies, we might not be able to watch them for much longer. While the young players might be more physical nowadays, it is because they can get away with it due to their youth. Once they age a little, they will either have to develop their game to be less physically demanding or get used to being injured a lot and retire.

***King of Diplomacy***

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

YouTube - Larry Bird the best ever#!

Watch this video, granted highlight video but its not like Bird was in a wheelchair, pretty athletic looking to me.

BRB, time traveling to get Bird and bringing him back to watch him intentional foul LJ and then knocking his teeth down his throat and laughing at him while he crys.
    That's awesome, he got in some scuffles. That really elevates his basketball ability. I would like to see him go after Ron Artest. He would get his **** rocked.

Do I really need to go find highlight videos? Good lord, a highlight video of an NBA star that is impressive. I am shocked. I am positive none of those exist for players in todays game. I could just throw up Kobe dropping 82, that is sort of impressive.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneWanderer View Post
    I read a recent SI article about how the BB players who went straight to the NBA are actually not going to be playing much longer at a high level than those who waited. Their bodies, even though they are freaks physically, are still not able to handle the rigors of professional basketball just because they are a few years younger. Kobe has made some transitions to his game looking for less contact and more finesse. If Lebron and the other reckless players (Wade among them) don't start taking care of their bodies, we might not be able to watch them for much longer. While the young players might be more physical nowadays, it is because they can get away with it due to their youth. Once they age a little, they will either have to develop their game to be less physically demanding or get used to being injured a lot and retire.
    I was referring to their starting points in the NBA, not how long they will play. I agree with what you are saying, hell even Jordan redefined his game when he came back. They have to. I was just saying that these guys come straight into the league as 18 year old kids without the four year period to gradually move to the higher level.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,347
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 119
    Given: 15

That's awesome, he got in some scuffles. That really elevates his basketball ability. I would like to see him go after Ron Artest. He would get his **** rocked.

Do I really need to go find highlight videos? Good lord, a highlight video of an NBA star that is impressive. I am shocked. I am positive none of those exist for players in todays game. I could just throw up Kobe dropping 82, that is sort of impressive.
    I think Bird also played in a time when they called travelling for impersonating a runningback going to the hoop . . . I could be wrong though, but didn't the NBA just rewrite the traveling to be less strict after years of telling officials to be lenient on it?

***King of Diplomacy***

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 638

Bird was awesome then, and would be awesome today. For any athletic shortcomings, he is one of the 5 highest basketball IQ players of the last couple generations. Not only that, but he could pass like mad and shoot lights out. Hustled all over the court.

Those 80s teams of the Lakers and the Celtics would absolutely school today's NBA teams in their primes. Teamwork pays off, big time.Those teams would set picks and screens and always find the open man, who would make the shot. Unlike today's "your turn" offense of most NBA teams where the guy with the ball tries to drive it to the hoop every single time.

"Dog Eat Dog"
    Read the news
    Someone win,
    Someone lose