Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 56

Ho Hum? UConnís latest title spawns smaller party

Article linked -- fans reaction to UCONN's success may be underwhelming.

I can't help but thinking what the first National Championship would be like for us.

Ho Hum? UConn's latest title spawns smaller party - College Women's Basketball - Rivals.com

WINDSOR LOCKS, Conn. (AP)óA crowd greeted the champs at the airport and another waited inside the home arena of a UConn womenís basketball team that hasnít lost a game in more than two years.
    But this was no delirious victory rallyó90 percent of the seats were empty.
    UConn officials estimated about 1,000 fans were inside Gampel Pavilion on Wednesday to celebrate with the Huskies a day after UConn defeated Stanford for its 78th straight win and back-to-back national championships.
    In an arena that seats just under 10,200, the atmosphere was something less than electric...

---

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 655
    Given: 321

Re: Ho Hum? UConnís latest title spawns smaller party

I think someone also posted their attendance trend has been down throughout the streak. Their domination isnt good for WBB.. it isnt even good for *their* wbb program it seems, at least in terms of attracting an audience..

All-Star
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 223
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 85

I lived outside of Bridgeport for a year and would say support for UCONN athletics is not that great. It is a pro-sports fanbase for the most part, except for the few alumns. UCONN is not that big of a school.

All-Star
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 650
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 56

Quote Originally Posted by alarson View Post
    I think someone also posted their attendance trend has been down throughout the streak. Their domination isnt good for WBB.. it isnt even good for *their* wbb program it seems, at least in terms of attracting an audience..
    I have a question for a highly recruited player.

Is it more important to be part of the UCONN winning machine, and maybe just another player there, OR would you want to be part of a team that beat the machine? (Especially seeing the diminishing homecomings for the recurring champs.)

I may think differently than a teenage BB star, but I love the idea of the latter. For a WBB pro-level-player not playing for UCONN will not hurt your chances in a profession career. She is likely to be drafted if playing for any of the top 30 or so teams. Chances for a pay-off being good, but not great money, in a WNBA position may be unhindered. So why wouldn't you consider the possibility of the aforementioned goal of beating the machine?

UCONN is challenging itself in 2010-11 with an ambitious schedule with an away schedule that is daunting. Without Charles it will be the year for UCONN to take some punches. Also, Baylor's Frosh laden team with Griner may be stronger than the team that gave UCONN a decent run late in post-season play: a team to watch!