Deadliest Catch (spoilers)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 42,620, Level: 63
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 330
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    ca4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North Central IA
    Posts
    1,644
    Points
    42,620
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 43

    Deadliest Catch (spoilers)

    Who watched last night? I thought it was a great first episode for the season. As much as I've liked the show, I got a little bored last season but this one has me sucked right back in. Jonathan calling Keith on the carpet for talking to his crew was cool, although I thought the "why don't you go and try to kill your brother again" comment was kind of a low blow.

    The "Jake swap" will make things interesting on the NW and CM. Of course now knowing that this was Capt. Phil's last red crab season, I wish Jake Harris could have spent the whole season on the CM. Deadliest Catch is the only kind of "reality" tv I can stomach.



  2. #2
    Legend
    Points: 170,205, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    The_Architect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Focus Town
    Posts
    11,882
    Points
    170,205
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 490
    Given: 2,073

    re: Deadliest Catch (spoilers)

    Crap I don't think my DVR caught this last night. Thanks for the reminder.


    While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 174,460, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    GeronimusClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    8,249
    Points
    174,460
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    re: Deadliest Catch (spoilers)

    Quote Originally Posted by ca4cy View Post
    Who watched last night? I thought it was a great first episode for the season. As much as I've liked the show, I got a little bored last season but this one has me sucked right back in. Jonathan calling Keith on the carpet for talking to his crew was cool, although I thought the "why don't you go and try to kill your brother again" comment was kind of a low blow.

    The "Jake swap" will make things interesting on the NW and CM. Of course now knowing that this was Capt. Phil's last red crab season, I wish Jake Harris could have spent the whole season on the CM. Deadliest Catch is the only kind of "reality" tv I can stomach.
    If I was Jake from the Northwestern, I'd be ******. That kid has busted his *** for them and done everything he could. I think Edgar was not amused with the move.
    Hilstrand saying that about the brother was chicken **** and pushing a guy who wasn't making any move toward you like that was chicken **** too. My opinion of that guy changed quickly.
    It's a business world out there. If that guy could have legitimately made twice what he was on the Time Bandit at the Wizard, he should go. I think Hilstrand was just mad that he was exposed for under paying his men.
    I think his anger really comes from getting a bad haircut.
    Also, I love any show that is this type of "reality" TV. It's not a gameshow, it's not forced reality - it's the real deal with cameras just there to catch it.


    Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    The only answer to "who/what is GeronimusClone?" is in fact "GeronimousClone". You're like The Todd on Scrubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    This is why you're my favorite

    Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    GC, he's obviously all man. And I don't think Ellen would go *****, even for GC...

  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 223,167, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cyclonedave25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    15,028
    Points
    223,167
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 833
    Given: 389

    Re: Deadliest Catch (spoilers)

    I'm excited for this season. Should be a good one with lots of interesting things taking place. I, too, feel kind of bad for Jake from the CM that he didn't get to fish with his dad one last season before he passes away, but if you think of it in another way it's was a good move by Phil, because he just wanted his son to succeed and gain more/different experience.
    This is one of my favorite "reality" shows, along with AxMen on the History Channel.


    When Prepared, Fear No One.

  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 174,460, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    GeronimusClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    8,249
    Points
    174,460
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Deadliest Catch (spoilers)

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclonedave25 View Post
    I'm excited for this season. Should be a good one with lots of interesting things taking place. I, too, feel kind of bad for Jake from the CM that he didn't get to fish with his dad one last season before he passes away, but if you think of it in another way it's was a good move by Phil, because he just wanted his son to succeed and gain more/different experience.
    This is one of my favorite "reality" shows, along with AxMen on the History Channel.
    AxMen is bad ***. Love Pawn Shop, American Pickers and First 48.
    Did anyone watch the construction intervention show after Deadliest?


    Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    The only answer to "who/what is GeronimusClone?" is in fact "GeronimousClone". You're like The Todd on Scrubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    This is why you're my favorite

    Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    GC, he's obviously all man. And I don't think Ellen would go *****, even for GC...

  6. #6
    All-Star
    Points: 42,620, Level: 63
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 330
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    ca4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North Central IA
    Posts
    1,644
    Points
    42,620
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 43

    Re: Deadliest Catch (spoilers)

    Quote Originally Posted by GeronimusClone View Post
    If I was Jake from the Northwestern, I'd be ******. That kid has busted his *** for them and done everything he could. I think Edgar was not amused with the move.
    Hilstrand saying that about the brother was chicken **** and pushing a guy who wasn't making any move toward you like that was chicken **** too. My opinion of that guy changed quickly.
    It's a business world out there. If that guy could have legitimately made twice what he was on the Time Bandit at the Wizard, he should go. I think Hilstrand was just mad that he was exposed for under paying his men.
    I think his anger really comes from getting a bad haircut.
    Also, I love any show that is this type of "reality" TV. It's not a gameshow, it's not forced reality - it's the real deal with cameras just there to catch it.
    I've never liked Keith so I've got some bias, but I thought he needed to be brought down a peg. I think the reason Jonathan was so ****** was that Keith said something to Scotty Hilstrand about jumping ships as well. Talking to random crew members would be one thing. Talking to family would be entirely another. I've always assumed the guys made less on the Time Bandit because they had a smaller quota, but I could be wrong on that. IIRC, it's a lot smaller boat.

    I think the change will be good for Jake Anderson. He works hard, but has some growing up to do. Him asking about running the wheelhouse probably was over the top. Also, him wishing Edgar dead last season really seemed to **** Sig off, even if it was in the heat of the moment. If Jake handles it the right way, he'll be better for it. I think the Hansen's like him and that's the reason they did it. If they didn't like him, he would have been run off during one of his tantrums last year.



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 174,460, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    GeronimusClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    8,249
    Points
    174,460
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Deadliest Catch (spoilers)

    Quote Originally Posted by ca4cy View Post
    I've never liked Keith so I've got some bias, but I thought he needed to be brought down a peg. I think the reason Jonathan was so ****** was that Keith said something to Scotty Hilstrand about jumping ships as well. Talking to random crew members would be one thing. Talking to family would be entirely another. I've always assumed the guys made less on the Time Bandit because they had a smaller quota, but I could be wrong on that. IIRC, it's a lot smaller boat.

    I think the change will be good for Jake Anderson. He works hard, but has some growing up to do. Him asking about running the wheelhouse probably was over the top. Also, him wishing Edgar dead last season really seemed to **** Sig off, even if it was in the heat of the moment. If Jake handles it the right way, he'll be better for it. I think the Hansen's like him and that's the reason they did it. If they didn't like him, he would have been run off during one of his tantrums last year.
    What's the over/under on the number of times we see Norm Hansen on camera this year?
    Last year I think it was two.
    He's like Sloth, they hide him in the basement.


    Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    The only answer to "who/what is GeronimusClone?" is in fact "GeronimousClone". You're like The Todd on Scrubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    This is why you're my favorite

    Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    GC, he's obviously all man. And I don't think Ellen would go *****, even for GC...

  8. #8
    Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    DaddyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    14,375
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Deadliest Catch (spoilers)

    Quote Originally Posted by GeronimusClone View Post
    If I was Jake from the Northwestern, I'd be ******. That kid has busted his *** for them and done everything he could. I think Edgar was not amused with the move.
    Hilstrand saying that about the brother was chicken **** and pushing a guy who wasn't making any move toward you like that was chicken **** too. My opinion of that guy changed quickly.
    It's a business world out there. If that guy could have legitimately made twice what he was on the Time Bandit at the Wizard, he should go. I think Hilstrand was just mad that he was exposed for under paying his men.
    I think his anger really comes from getting a bad haircut.
    Also, I love any show that is this type of "reality" TV. It's not a gameshow, it's not forced reality - it's the real deal with cameras just there to catch it.
    Agree with most all of this.

    Except slightly on the last part. I LOVE this show. Religious follower since the beginning. But I think it's quickly becoming apparent that perhaps the producers are starting to "direct" a bit. Meeting in that wreck was contrived. Back when they just met at the bar, placed the bets, did some toasts... that was real. Bet none of those guys saw that ship before that night.

    And most of the "conflicts" seem less than genuine. Particularly on the Time Bandit. Of course, every one of those guys ham it up for the camera every chance they get ... so not really surprising.

    This is what happened to American Chopper as well. After a few seasons, it got away from the bikes, the creativity, the work - and just spent 45 minutes of every hour with Jr and Sr screaming at each other. It gets old fast. Kinda thought the same thing last night.

    And I wonder if there's ever been a "crew-member swap" in the history of the fleet? Seemed contrived for TV as well.

    It's going to be interesting to see how they handle Phil and the Cornelia Marie what that goes down. He seemed to be front and center in the opening roller.


    Last edited by DaddyMac; 04-14-2010 at 12:34 PM.

  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 174,460, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    GeronimusClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    8,249
    Points
    174,460
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Deadliest Catch (spoilers)

    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    Agree with most all of this.

    Except slightly on the last part. I LOVE this show. Religious follower since the beginning. But I think it's quickly becoming apparent that perhaps the producers are starting to "direct" a bit. Meeting in that wreck was contrived. Back when they just met at the bar, placed the bets, did some toasts... that was real. Bet none of those guys saw that ship before that night.

    This is what happened to American Chopper as well. After a few season, it got away from the bikes, the creativity, the work - and just spent 45 minutes of every hour with Jr and Sr screaming at each other. It gets old fast. Kinda thought the same thing last night.

    And I wonder if there's ever been a "crew-member swap" in the history of the fleet? Seemed contrived for TV as well.
    I don't mind the meetings, etc. outside of the boat. It's the actual work and what goes on out on the water that I enjoy. Can't stage that.


    Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    The only answer to "who/what is GeronimusClone?" is in fact "GeronimousClone". You're like The Todd on Scrubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    This is why you're my favorite

    Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    GC, he's obviously all man. And I don't think Ellen would go *****, even for GC...

  10. #10
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 85,253, Level: 90
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 297
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    4,708
    Points
    85,253
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Deadliest Catch (spoilers)

    Quote Originally Posted by GeronimusClone View Post
    If I was Jake from the Northwestern, I'd be ******. That kid has busted his *** for them and done everything he could. I think Edgar was not amused with the move.
    Hilstrand saying that about the brother was chicken **** and pushing a guy who wasn't making any move toward you like that was chicken **** too. My opinion of that guy changed quickly.
    It's a business world out there. If that guy could have legitimately made twice what he was on the Time Bandit at the Wizard, he should go. I think Hilstrand was just mad that he was exposed for under paying his men.
    I think his anger really comes from getting a bad haircut.
    Also, I love any show that is this type of "reality" TV. It's not a gameshow, it's not forced reality - it's the real deal with cameras just there to catch it.
    The brother comment was crapola. But Keith was getting in his face. I think that the Time Bandit is a smaller boat and that = less money. I don't think it has anything to do with underpaying. Ever notice how the Wizard always has "greenhorns?" If Keith makes more money and he has experienced guys standing at the dock waiting to work for him then why is he constantly hiring greenhorns? Just doesn't add up and my conclusion is Keith is an idiot that no one wants to work for even if it means more money. None of the other boats have as much turnover as Keith.


    "Not at the table Carlos."

  11. #11
    Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    DaddyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    14,375
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Deadliest Catch (spoilers)

    Quote Originally Posted by GeronimusClone View Post
    I don't mind the meetings, etc. outside of the boat. It's the actual work and what goes on out on the water that I enjoy. Can't stage that.
    My thoughts too. Just seems that the time share of one is going up, the other going down ... not in a good way. Guess you have to find ways to keep it fresh. Once they get to the fisihing all will be well.

    Anyone else think that rescue was a bit goofy? I mean the interviews with the crew? Not sure how to describe it. Just seemed like they were saying "I have no idea what happened" and nodding in agreement, with a real "we really f'd that up" kind of expression.



  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 42,620, Level: 63
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 330
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    ca4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North Central IA
    Posts
    1,644
    Points
    42,620
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 43

    Re: Deadliest Catch (spoilers)

    Quote Originally Posted by GeronimusClone View Post
    What's the over/under on the number of times we see Norm Hansen on camera this year?
    Last year I think it was two.
    He's like Sloth, they hide him in the basement.
    So true. I think I've seen all the cameramen more that I've seen Norm. You forget how many are on the NW crew simply because Norm is a non entity. He must have made them sign some kind of agreement to edit him out of every scene. You'd think he be on camera by accident at least once in awhile.



  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 84,703, Level: 90
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 847
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    azepp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    3,964
    Points
    84,703
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 128

    Re: Deadliest Catch (spoilers)

    Quote Originally Posted by tazclone View Post
    The brother comment was crapola. But Keith was getting in his face. I think that the Time Bandit is a smaller boat and that = less money. I don't think it has anything to do with underpaying. Ever notice how the Wizard always has "greenhorns?" If Keith makes more money and he has experienced guys standing at the dock waiting to work for him then why is he constantly hiring greenhorns? Just doesn't add up and my conclusion is Keith is an idiot that no one wants to work for even if it means more money. None of the other boats have as much turnover as Keith.
    My thoughts exactly. Only thing I can think of is that he brings them on because he doesn't have to pay them as much. Or he's full of crap.



  14. #14
    Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    DaddyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    14,375
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Deadliest Catch (spoilers)

    Quote Originally Posted by tazclone View Post
    The brother comment was crapola. But Keith was getting in his face. I think that the Time Bandit is a smaller boat and that = less money. I don't think it has anything to do with underpaying. Ever notice how the Wizard always has "greenhorns?" If Keith makes more money and he has experienced guys standing at the dock waiting to work for him then why is he constantly hiring greenhorns? Just doesn't add up and my conclusion is Keith is an idiot that no one wants to work for even if it means more money. None of the other boats have as much turnover as Keith.
    I get the feeling the Hillstrands (all 4 or 5 of them) are keeping the lion share of the money. Wonder how much Jonathan pockets during Opie season when he's just riding along?

    Notice their expressions when the engineer was telling them how happy he was and "that he doesn't need to make a 100K a year, he's happy".

    Sort of a "holy ****, he'll pay them 100K?"

    Agree on Keith. Really don't care for him either. Favorites are probably the NW and CM, edge going to NW. And the TB and Wizard bring up the rear, TB for the whole crew, and the Wizard solely because of Keith. Liked the Maverick when they were around.

    That scene with the snapped line on the new boat was pretty intense.


    Last edited by DaddyMac; 04-14-2010 at 12:44 PM.

  15. #15
    All-Star
    Points: 42,620, Level: 63
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 330
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    ca4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North Central IA
    Posts
    1,644
    Points
    42,620
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 43

    Re: Deadliest Catch (spoilers)

    Quote Originally Posted by tazclone View Post
    The brother comment was crapola. But Keith was getting in his face. I think that the Time Bandit is a smaller boat and that = less money. I don't think it has anything to do with underpaying. Ever notice how the Wizard always has "greenhorns?" If Keith makes more money and he has experienced guys standing at the dock waiting to work for him then why is he constantly hiring greenhorns? Just doesn't add up and my conclusion is Keith is an idiot that no one wants to work for even if it means more money. None of the other boats have as much turnover as Keith.
    My thoughts exactly. Keith was moving toward Jonathan. He's lucky he didn't get punched. I also noticed that nobody besides Phil was stepping in. I think they wanted to see Keith get his *** kicked.

    Also agree on the deckhands. No way is Keith shelling through 2 greenhorns every season if he has experienced guys on the dock begging him to come on board. That ******* stunt he pulled last year with the tarp probably means he has to pay double to get anybody worth a crap to set foot on the Wizard.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.tv
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Mississippi Valley State
  • December 31, 2014
  • 06:00 PM