Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 332

Re: Deace this morning...

Quote Originally Posted by KingClone View Post
    Deace wanted GMc fired before the season ended.

Deace is a very stubborn man.

Deace is going to use his pulpit to advocate his position until it happens.

Deace will take personal credit for "Saving ISU MBB".

The only thing left to do is keep pumping the Sheeple to follow the Pious Piper.
    If you haven't noticed.... there is a large portion of the fanbase that would like to have GMAC shown the door.... today, yesterday, last year.... Deace isn't leading the charge. He is just following the growing sentiment of a portion of the fanbase.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 282
    Given: 185

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonestate78 View Post
    If you haven't noticed.... there is a large portion of the fanbase that would like to have GMAC shown the door.... today, yesterday, last year.... Deace isn't leading the charge. He is just following the growing sentiment of a portion of the fanbase.
    Well, when you're too busy following a "real" team, following a growing sentiment is about all one has time for...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

This might be accurate today...however, one year ago the large portion was firmly in the 'have patience' and 'give it time' camp regarding our MBB program.

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

Quote Originally Posted by swarthmoreCY View Post
    Football needs to be our primary money maker as there is a lot more potential money from football. Thus if we need to starve the other programs for a few years to help move the football program forward, I am fine with it.
    Of course, the more net revenue from basketball, the better....and there is some amount of spending on MBB that is optimum to the football program. Hopefully JP has a rough idea of where that is.
    Me too. Just let me know before season ticket renewals come out.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 153
    Given: 124

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    Maybe the Hawks and ISU should go together for doubleheaders taking turns in Ames and IC to get the arenas filled the next couple of years.

At some point, a wball game may outdraw one of the men's games...

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 57

Quote Originally Posted by GeronimusClone View Post
    It's amazing how Jamie has allowed one coach to change his opinion of ISU as a basketball school. What does Greg have on Jamie?
    Exaclty.

Wow, things sure have changed since JP fired Morgan after one bad season (and paid a $2M buyout) and stated that "ISU Men's Basketball is the Flagship Program of our Athletic Dept."

Legend
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    You saying that a win over Creighton in WFC may be the High Point of the Season?
    We won't beat Creighton.

Pro
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 990
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CloneIce View Post
    Exaclty.

Wow, things sure have changed since JP fired Morgan after one bad season (and paid a $2M buyout) and stated that "ISU Men's Basketball is the Flagship Program of our Athletic Dept."
    This is the problem. He never should have made that statement. Now he looks like a liar if he values money over our "flagship program", because why fire Morgan in the first place if you are trying to save money for football?

Legend
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 207

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    Ha ha.
    More seriously, when does the cycle end? The ISU AD cannot afford to give all programs the money they need (which largely falls on the fans), thus taking some $$ from some programs to give to football in attempt to best utilize the little money they do have. The fans response is to give even less money?
    Contrary to what their opinions on CF suggest, I guess most fans view themselves as consumers. The question is, if that is the case, where does JP and ISU get the money to improve the product?

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 592
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 27

Quote Originally Posted by Cyforce View Post
    He had lunch with JP and was told MBB is only 6% of the athletic department's revenue, Miller simplifies it meaning
    to FB is 94% of the budget and MBB doesn't matter in the big picture. It's a twisting of the gross and net. Basically MBB is down and only showing a marginal profit. The point they are missing is we can't afford to be a one sport revenue generator.
    Why is JP having lunch with Deace? Does he provide him with information about state of basketball program that he can't share with the public? I doubt if Mr Deace donates or buys tickets.

Legend
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by swarthmoreCY View Post
    Ha ha.
    More seriously, when does the cycle end? The ISU AD cannot afford to give all programs the money they need (which largely falls on the fans), thus taking some $$ from some programs to give to football in attempt to best utilize the little money they do have. The fans response is to give even less money?
    Contrary to what their opinions on CF suggest, I guess most fans view themselves as consumers. The question is, if that is the case, where does JP and ISU get the money to improve the product?
    The thing that gets lost in the mix is the long term effects this will have on future generations of Cyclone fans. When I grew up I was raised on Cyclone basketball. That was the only thing we had going for us because the football team was awful. What team do you think that the vast majority of young people in Iowa are going to choose to follow at this point in time? Iowa football because of their success. It's really simple... if ISU basketball is allowed to sink further into the current nuclear winter it is in then you can count on the numbers of the Cyclone Nation to not only stop growing but to start regressing. This can't be allowed to happen. ISU is competing for every dollar that they can get... Our football team is doing better but they are fighting an uphill battle against the hawks for the fans in this state. If basketball is allowed to continue failing then we will lose future fans, donations, and ticket sales.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 524
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I mildly disagree.. Fans are generated by several scenarios.. and growing up at a time or perceived great success for one sport or another is but one. I grew up isolated from major college sports, and frankly in an era when major college sports were more pure sports and not hyper inflated money games. Not saying that is bad nor good (there is some of both), but it is what has happened. I became an ISU fan as a student and as an alumnus.. and will always be one.

On another note, it is understandable that some posters here and in other places have the liberty to both start and jump on bandwagons under the veil of anonymity. That is the nature of such things today. But I try to remember for posts that I vehemently agree with and also that I vehemently disagree with (and ones I am neuatral to as well) to take things with a grain of salt. Context is important sometimes. As an example (and only as a example) it is easy to get riled up about Justin Hamilton's dad's comments in the thread recently. However I didnt hear him say it and dont know the full context of the comments if he did. And that is not to accuse the originating poster of being wrong. I just think I deserve to reserve some judgement and not automatically run with that. Another also-- people especially parents--have a right to have opinions and though they may be informed in different ways from the general fan base, they are also speaking from the emotional biases they have from their personal issues at hand that can color thoughts.

A final point: please remember that the sentiment of the CF posting community may or may not be the general conensus of the greater Cyclone fanbase in total. I think CF is for the most part a fun and pretty good forum, but with any community there are idiot posts and inciteful posts. It is how life is. To close then, Go Cyclones!

Pro
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 925
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 23

Quote Originally Posted by Cyforce View Post
    I listened to his "Lost" comparison to the Bible for about 30 seconds and switched stations.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one. I know there are a lot of LOST fans on here, but I absolutely hate this segment. I tune in for local sports talk, not that ****.

I did however learn the AFC East got a whole lot more interesting when I switched over this morning. Gonna be interesting with Revis and Marshall going at it twice this year.

Legend
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 207

The thing that gets lost in the mix is the long term effects this will have on future generations of Cyclone fans. When I grew up I was raised on Cyclone basketball. That was the only thing we had going for us because the football team was awful. What team do you think that the vast majority of young people in Iowa are going to choose to follow at this point in time? Iowa football because of their success. It's really simple... if ISU basketball is allowed to sink further into the current nuclear winter it is in then you can count on the numbers of the Cyclone Nation to not only stop growing but to start regressing. This can't be allowed to happen. ISU is competing for every dollar that they can get... Our football team is doing better but they are fighting an uphill battle against the hawks for the fans in this state. If basketball is allowed to continue failing then we will lose future fans, donations, and ticket sales.
    The information in your post is exactly why we need to put as much money into football as possible. Having "fans" is nice, but what we really need is occupied seats. Say all of the fans of ISU football are only fans because of ISU BB, will they go watch a football program coming off years of inept play? Data suggests otherwise. Business wise, it is best to trade 4000 basketball tickets for 30,000 FB tickets.

There is an optimum investment in basketball concerning helping ISU FB, which is really saying, helping the ISU AD maximize its revenue. Clearly this amount is not zero, but it is also not relatively high either (for example, it would not be wise to have the basketball budget be on par with the football budget). This optimum also maximizes the objective of long-term growth (or in your words, minimizes long-term costs) while be bound by the constraints of short-term costs.
    One short-term cost is you cannot spend money you do not have. Some fans (who see themselves as only consumers) would like JP to take away $$ from a money making product (FB), and place it into a product that has marginal return potential (short or long) when compared to FB. Some will even stop buying the BB product in-order to make this happen. If this happens, where does JP get the money to improve the product(s)?

Last edited by swarthmoreCY; 04-14-2010 at 11:28 AM.

Rookie
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I love Deace BECAUSE of his political views. IB