Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 114
    Given: 3

Sad State of Program

I just have to get this off my chest.

Here it is the day before the Spring signing period for MBB begins, and look at the discussions on this board about the ISU MBB program.

Are we talking anxiously about what recruits might sign tomorrow? Who is a lock for ISU? How good they are? They're ratings? What the team will look like with these players in the fold? Who will be the starters? Who will redshirt? Who will come off the bench first? NO!

What is being discussed is the latest player defections, what players are still likely to leave, and the latest departure (and continued departures) of the coaching assistants. We even have comments (apparently) from the father of one of the departed players talking about the head coach at ISU.

I will not be surprised to see Colvin leave at all. What has he to gain by sticking around? Dendy I fear will just not come back. Hell, he had to be coaxed back apparently twice DURING THE FRICKING SEASON! What makes anyone think he will want to come back after a summer at home? Get real.

It is truly sad how this program has been run into the ground, and how, unfortunately, and despite all the good he has done for ISU, that JP has allowed this to happen. I know he was your hire JP and all that......but you have to see what he is doing to this program, and to the fan base.

Next year is lost. No one believes that ISU will be any good next year, no matter what recruits are brought in. This team this past year had the most talent of any that McDermott has had at ISU, and how did that turn out? To just get back to that same level of talent is going to take 2 or 3 years minimum of outstanding recruiting. Does anyone (besides GMac's relatives} really think that is going to happen? If you do, then I'm sorry, but you are truly delusional. There is not one positive thing that can be said about the state of the ISU MBB program. Not one.

JP.....you have done a lot of good things for ISU. I will say that even though I do not agree with everything you have done. But, you have to make a change here. You hang on to GMac, and you are going to set the ISU MBB program back another half a decade. There is no hope. He was the wrong hire, and you have ample proof of that. Too bad he won't just do the best thing and step down, but it is obvious that is not going to happen.

Find the money somehow and get rid of him. Hiring a new coach, even this late in the season will not set the program back any further than it already is. Next year is lost anyway. At least a new coach might put a few more butts in the seat next year.

I have followed and supported ISU athletics, and especially MBB since the 1960's. What is sad for me right now, is that I do not find myself excited about anything relating to that program now under the direction of McDermott. No matter what recruits he gets in, I know he will not be able to coach them, and he is incapable of winning in the Big 12.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,226
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 109

Re: Sad State of Program

Please interview:

Mark Montgomery, Assistant Coach - Michigan State.

Player Bio: Mark Montgomery - MICHIGAN STATE OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE

Bring in Some ISU blood as well: Jeff Grayer

All-Star
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 867
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 6

I'll take him until Izzo retires and he heads back to MSU.

Kyle S. Flander

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 331
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 6

aint gonna happen but I would be on board with this guy...

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 575
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 37

That's the worst part happening now: apathy, instead of enthusiasm

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Dryburn View Post
    I just have to get this off my chest.

Here it is the day before the Spring signing period for MBB begins, and look at the discussions on this board about the ISU MBB program.

Are we talking anxiously about what recruits might sign tomorrow? Who is a lock for ISU? How good they are? They're ratings? What the team will look like with these players in the fold? Who will be the starters? Who will redshirt? Who will come off the bench first? NO!

What is being discussed is the latest player defections, what players are still likely to leave, and the latest departure (and continued departures) of the coaching assistants. We even have comments (apparently) from the father of one of the departed players talking about the head coach at ISU.

I will not be surprised to see Colvin leave at all. What has he to gain by sticking around? Dendy I fear will just not come back. Hell, he had to be coaxed back apparently twice DURING THE FRICKING SEASON! What makes anyone think he will want to come back after a summer at home? Get real.

It is truly sad how this program has been run into the ground, and how, unfortunately, and despite all the good he has done for ISU, that JP has allowed this to happen. I know he was your hire JP and all that......but you have to see what he is doing to this program, and to the fan base.

Next year is lost. No one believes that ISU will be any good next year, no matter what recruits are brought in. This team this past year had the most talent of any that McDermott has had at ISU, and how did that turn out? To just get back to that same level of talent is going to take 2 or 3 years minimum of outstanding recruiting. Does anyone (besides GMac's relatives} really think that is going to happen? If you do, then I'm sorry, but you are truly delusional. There is not one positive thing that can be said about the state of the ISU MBB program. Not one.

JP.....you have done a lot of good things for ISU. I will say that even though I do not agree with everything you have done. But, you have to make a change here. You hang on to GMac, and you are going to set the ISU MBB program back another half a decade. There is no hope. He was the wrong hire, and you have ample proof of that. Too bad he won't just do the best thing and step down, but it is obvious that is not going to happen.

Find the money somehow and get rid of him. Hiring a new coach, even this late in the season will not set the program back any further than it already is. Next year is lost anyway. At least a new coach might put a few more butts in the seat next year.

I have followed and supported ISU athletics, and especially MBB since the 1960's. What is sad for me right now, is that I do not find myself excited about anything relating to that program now under the direction of McDermott. No matter what recruits he gets in, I know he will not be able to coach them, and he is incapable of winning in the Big 12.
    Oh, come on...this is all just a string of bad luck...poor GM...the guy is a good guy and he just can't catch a break.

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 315
    Given: 260

Hey, next year is just another Year One.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Addict
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 402
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone13 View Post
    Just look at the difference in players leaving. When WJ or Lucca left, there was absolute outrage. When Hamilton left, many said "Well' I don't blame him"

Addict
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 169
    Given: 56

10 Years ago we were winning back to back Big 12 titles. A Big 12 tourney. An elite 8 appearance. We had top 10 rankings. LE was winning national coach of the year awards.

5 years ago we had gone to an NCAA second round and an NIT final four. We recruited and retained athletes that played an uptempo game. We had many upsets of ranked teams.

Today, I think I can make a strong argument that we will be the worst bball team in a BCS conference, and I think if we hired Coach K or Tom Izzo tomorrow, it would still take at least 3 years to get back to the dance. We are lower than low right now, and we keep digging each and every day. It is disgusting.

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 575
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 37

Quote Originally Posted by aeroclone View Post
    and I think if we hired Coach K or Tom Izzo tomorrow, it would still take at least 3 years to get back to the dance. We are lower than low right now, and we keep digging each and every day. It is disgusting.
    Beg to disagree, if we get Coach K or Tom Izzo, top recruits want to play for us, probably we'll be back to the dance in 2 years :)

Pro
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 900
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Beg to disagree, if we get Coach K or Tom Izzo, top recruits want to play for us, probably we'll be back to the dance in 2 years :)
    Kentucky being the sample. Elite Eight in a year.

Addict
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 1,190
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 238
    Given: 38

Quote Originally Posted by azn4cy View Post
    Kentucky being the sample. Elite Eight in a year.
    It's a little different trying to rebuild ISU than it is Kentucky. 3 year minimum to get to the tourney with a VERY good coach.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 166
    Given: 27

And that right there is what did in Dan, and now it will do in Greg.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Pro
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 900
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by acgclone View Post
    It's a little different trying to rebuild ISU than it is Kentucky. 3 year minimum to get to the tourney with a VERY good coach.
    I agree, but Kentucky went from NIT to Elite Eight. I don't think that's expected at ISU. just nothing to NCAA (96 team field) in yr 2. It's possible with a great coach.

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 475
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Carefull using that term lest you want to be told how you really feel and what the true definition means and how it relates to your own feelings towards the program. Be carefull.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Accept the truth