Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 45
  1. #1
    Legend
    Points: 218,941, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    10,374
    Points
    218,941
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 269
    Given: 356

    What should I do?

    I have a kid on my 9-10 year old baseball team. She really has no business playing baseball. She can't catch the ball. She can't throw the ball. She can't hit. She ask me the other day where second base was (this is after a full month and a half of practice). I am affraid she is going to get hurt. She does not want to be there at all. She asks me if she has to play. I have to play her 2 innings a game. Her father almosts acts clueless to the whole situation. He said she looks improved. There is really nothing I can do to make her better. She still can't figure out how to catch and she honestly has no idea what is going on around her. She ask me if she won the last game. I am confused that her father can't see that this is killing his daughters self confidence in herself. The other kids on the team are getting more upset with her as the season goes on.
    My question is this. Should I tell her dad the I think he should pull her from the team and practice the rest of the summer playing softball and get her ready for next year?
    Should I just leave it alone and pray that she don't get drilled in the face with a baseball. My other coach is concerened as well.


    Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 113,763, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    JP4CY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sommerset
    Posts
    6,405
    Points
    113,763
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 387
    Given: 172

    Re: What should I do?

    Tell pops to yank her. Tell him maybe she'd be better at swimming, something that takes up time in the summer.



  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 42,721, Level: 63
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 229
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    TheHelgo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    2,762
    Points
    42,721
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: What should I do?

    sounds like she is being forced to play. i would approach the father and diplomatically let him know that his daughter has expressed a desire not wanting to play anymore.



  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 42,721, Level: 63
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 229
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    TheHelgo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    2,762
    Points
    42,721
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: What should I do?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheHelgo View Post
    sounds like she is being forced to play. i would approach the father and diplomatically let him know that his daughter has expressed a desire not wanting to play anymore.
    As a side note, my wife was strong-armed into playing softball and soccer as a youth against her wishes - she really wanted to take ballet and stuff like that. She has never really gotten over it and holds a bit of a grudge against her parents for it.



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 165,394, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Stewo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    7,087
    Points
    165,394
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 299
    Given: 82

    Re: What should I do?

    Isn't there a softball league for young ladies in your area? It seems a bit odd to have a female playing baseball?



  6. #6
    Legend
    Points: 218,941, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    10,374
    Points
    218,941
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 269
    Given: 356

    Re: What should I do?

    I don't even have a problem with a girl playing baseball. However there are softball places she should be playing. We used to have this girl that was on a different team when I was younger. She could hold her own.


    Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 39,647, Level: 61
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 703
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    3,013
    Points
    39,647
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 23

    Re: What should I do?

    What do you know about her and her family? Or, what can you find out? If she's actually asking what you indicated, it seems that perhaps there's more than just a physical inability here. That alone needs individual attention.



  8. #8
    Legend
    Points: 218,941, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    10,374
    Points
    218,941
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 269
    Given: 356

    Re: What should I do?

    Yeah I am just a coach. Last game we played we had the bases load with 1 out. She was on 3rd because she won't swing the bat and the kid walked her. Our guy hit the ball to the fence and she stopped before she touched home plate and just stood there. The kid on second rounded 3rd and ran around her because she would not touch home. So basically they both were out. Cost our team the game. She said she did not know why she did not touch home plate. Her dad walked up to me after the game and said he thought his daughter had touched home plate. I clearly saw her not step on home. I did not even argue with the ump about it. It's really frustrating for our other players. It's frustrating for our coaches and other parents. It made her cry and I felt bad for her.


    Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

  9. #9
    Legend
    Points: 265,088, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Cyclonestate78's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    11,528
    Points
    265,088
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 259
    Given: 696

    Re: What should I do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    Yeah I am just a coach. Last game we played we had the bases load with 1 out. She was on 3rd because she won't swing the bat and the kid walked her. Our guy hit the ball to the fence and she stopped before she touched home plate and just stood there. The kid on second rounded 3rd and ran around her because she would not touch home. So basically they both were out. Cost our team the game. She said she did not know why she did not touch home plate. Her dad walked up to me after the game and said he thought his daughter had touched home plate. I clearly saw her not step on home. I did not even argue with the ump about it. It's really frustrating for our other players. It's frustrating for our coaches and other parents. It made her cry and I felt bad for her.
    This is a situation that has to be addressed. Youth sports are excellent for building character, self esteem, decision making skills, and they keep kids active. The game only has those great benefits when the kids involved want to be there and they understand the game they are playing. How can she be having any fun when she doesn't seem to know anything about baseball or have the basic skills to play the game? It is time to have a little meeting with the father and explain to him that you love having her on the team but she just lacks the fundamental abilities and the desire to enjoy the game at this point in time. See if you can find some information on a local clinic or something to offer him as an opportunity to help her learn the game before she comes back out.



  10. #10
    Pro
    Points: 25,475, Level: 48
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 75
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    southern iowa
    Posts
    2,655
    Points
    25,475
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 61
    Given: 166

    Re: What should I do?

    I would recommend to her parents that you are concerned about her safety. Tell them to consider placing her in a softball league, it has been my experience that girls at that age aren't quite as developed skill wise when it comes to playing ball. Explain that she might have a better time and enjoy herself if she were playing with girls her own age.


    Go Cyclones!!

  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 29,464, Level: 52
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 286
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    2,157
    Points
    29,464
    Level
    52
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: What should I do?

    the joys of youth sports and why I want nothing to do with it.



  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 25,969, Level: 49
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 581
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,038
    Points
    25,969
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 20

    Re: What should I do?

    If she truly doesn't want to be there, then she shouldn't be forced and you should talk to her Father so he can probe to find out her wishes. If she does want to be there, it's your job to find ways to teach her. Youth sports is about having fun and learning the fundamentals. Coaching youth sports is about making sure the kids are enjoying themselves and learning something, regardless of their skill or knowledge level.



  13. #13
    Speechless
    Points: 736,725, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 89.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    47,985
    Points
    736,725
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,559
    Given: 750

    Re: What should I do?

    Has she indicated whether she wants to play or not? Some kids are clueless, but still have a ball doing it. I would address it to the parents from a safety standpoint, because if she isn't aware of her surroundings, she could certainly get hurt.

    Perhaps the parents could work on her awareness and where she should be focusing, assuming that she really wants to play?



  14. #14
    Legend
    Points: 218,941, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    10,374
    Points
    218,941
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 269
    Given: 356

    Re: What should I do?

    If she truly doesn't want to be there, then she shouldn't be forced and you should talk to her Father so he can probe to find out her wishes. If she does want to be there, it's your job to find ways to teach her. Youth sports is about having fun and learning the fundamentals. Coaching youth sports is about making sure the kids are enjoying themselves and learning something, regardless of their skill or knowledge level.
    Teaching her baseball would be like teaching me rocket science. It's impossible. We worked with her for 2 weeks trying to teach her how to catch a ball. She still can't do it. I have to teach my team basic double play's and situation baseball. I can't concentrate on teaching her how to catch a baseball. At this point in the season it's teaching them how double plays, flyballs and such. Not how to catch. I am trying to get them to do normal baseball things. I can't ignore the whole team to teach absolute basics. I have to teach the team how to play and baseball awareness on what to do if a kid is on third and first and what base I want the ball thrown to.
    I think I am going to have a talk with the dad. Who as you would know happens to be a *****. He also told me on the phone when I told him she was going to be on my team that her daughter could hang with any boy in that league. Even though we watched her in tryouts and she was the last draft choice.


    Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 400,940, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    59,372
    Points
    400,940
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 623
    Given: 391

    Re: What should I do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    I have a kid on my 9-10 year old baseball team. She really has no business playing baseball. She can't catch the ball. She can't throw the ball. She can't hit. She ask me the other day where second base was (this is after a full month and a half of practice). I am affraid she is going to get hurt. She does not want to be there at all. She asks me if she has to play. I have to play her 2 innings a game. Her father almosts acts clueless to the whole situation. He said she looks improved. There is really nothing I can do to make her better. She still can't figure out how to catch and she honestly has no idea what is going on around her. She ask me if she won the last game. I am confused that her father can't see that this is killing his daughters self confidence in herself. The other kids on the team are getting more upset with her as the season goes on.
    My question is this. Should I tell her dad the I think he should pull her from the team and practice the rest of the summer playing softball and get her ready for next year?
    Should I just leave it alone and pray that she don't get drilled in the face with a baseball. My other coach is concerened as well.
    Make her an assistant coach. She can be third base coach.


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 07:00 PM