Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100
    Given: 13

House Meetings...

Okay so my girlfriend lives in a house where the CA always says every meeting is mandatory and that attendance will be taken and action will be taken against you if you don't go. Her and her roommate never go to meetings and went last week when the CA said it starts at 9:00 sharp and didn't show up till 9:30 herself, and has called another meeting this week to talk about the same stuff, not to mention she meetings usually go for two hours or so and the CA claims they never go over a half hour.

I told them not to go because there is nothing they can really do against you especially at this point in the year and if they want to complain about it to e-mail the department of residence to voice their concerns. I know of at least one person on here that is a CA so I was wondering is there anything that can actually be done if you don't go to a "mandatory" meeting? Did any of you attend these meetings regularly?

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 655
    Given: 321

Re: House Meetings...

i dont think i went to half of those 'mandatory' meetings, even if i was in the room that night.

Legend
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 713
    Given: 332

wow, sounds a bit too much for me.
    I only went to house meetings when there was free food. I believe the very first meeting, where everybody shows up, they said that they were mandatory, but nobody ever went after that unless there was food.

When Prepared, Fear No One.

Addict
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 914
    Given: 10

Two hour house meetings? I think she's cheating on you, man

st8

I think the only major action that the CA can take is removing your girlfriend from her World of Warcraft guild. I know this seems a bit extreme, but CA's aren't going to be pushed around anymore.

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan32 View Post
    Yeah, I call BS on 2-hour house meetings. That would never happen even with the most long-winded CA and cabinet. Most houses consider 30 minutes to be fairly long. I've lived in the res halls for five years, and have never seen nor heard of any house meetings that even broke 90 minutes, much less two hours.

That said, this CA sounds ridiculous. No, there's nothing they can do if you don't attend meetings, except for the last meeting of the year- in that case, they can require you to meet with the hall director before you can check out. You'll get the same information as given at the meeting, but you'll have to explain why you weren't there, and probably answer some other questions. Not a big deal at all, but it's easier to just go to the meeting. They only ask you to be there once a semester; it's not that hard.

True and Valiant

I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 499
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100
    Given: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan32 View Post
    haha if she is cheating on me with 50 other women then I'm not sure if that's good for me or if I am just sol...

All-Star
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 505
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

This was a few years ago, but the longest meeting we ever had was 20 minutes...sometimes we'd hang out for 2 hours, but never had a meeting that long. My CAs (had a switch at semester) were awesome and knew that we had other lives that we'd rather be living than sitting in a boring meeting.

Pro
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 521
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93
    Given: 156

my opinion is that if you dont want to live with other peoples rules, move out into your own place. or change houses.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,159
    Given: 822

Quote Originally Posted by Tedcyclone View Post
    my opinion is that if you dont want to live with other peoples rules, move out into your own place. or change houses.
    You mean rules that the RA/CA, even though they made them, are unenforceable? The RA/CA is NOT a parent or a babysitter. They are simply there to enforce University policy (as in making sure the incense that is being burned isn't hippie-lettuce scented), be the point of contact in the case of emergency (like someone poking their eye out), or to be there to dispense advice to house members if it is needed. They are not there to be militant Nazis forcing house members to sit through 2 hour meetings, and every single person from the DOR in charge of RAs/CAs that I ever knew would take serious issue with this kind of behavior.

And while I was never an RA/CA myself, I interviewed for it one semester and the job was mine if I wanted it, and I probably would have taken it had I not already signed my apartment lease.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 272
    Given: 103

Ha, that is too funny. Yeah, I spent a couple years in the dorms, and I actually made it a point to not attend house meetings. Other than the first and last meeting of the year, there really isn't much need to be there.

Addict
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 446
    Given: 972

I was a CA, and no... there is nothing you can really do if people don't show up. The only meetings that are truely "mandatory" are the beginning and end of semesters, when people are moving in and out and are new to the floor.

I only had a few meetings per semester, and they usually involved free pokey stix and were MAYBE 20 minutes max.

Asst. Regional Manager
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 965
    Given: 861

2 hours? Hell. I went to two meetings before school started and that was it.

There is absolutely NOTHING they can do. Can they pull your grades? no. Can they fine you? no. Can they kick you out? no. In no where in your housing contract does it say you have to go to meetings.

@RandomGeoFacts

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,731
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 8

I'd like to know what kind of "action" the CA can take if they miss the meeting? I was a RA about 10 years ago and there was no such thing as mandatory floor meetings unless the hall director themself called the meeting and gave notice to the residents prior to the meeting. We only had that happen once because we had idiots damaging our floor every weekend so the only way the floor residents got excused from that meeting was to go talk to the hall director prior to the meeting and give their reason why they have to miss.

Of all the floors I lived on I think our floor meetings ranged anywhere from 10 minutes to maybe 30 at most if it got long winded and we were goofing around which usually was because there was lengthy debate for the weekly s-head of the week award.

As a RA the only way I knew people would come is if my floor officers organized it on 2 for 1 pokey sticks night so everyone would pitch in for the order and it gave everyone a reason to be in 1 place for 10 minutes so they'd get some food and any info that needed passed along. Even then you'd never get everyone but it helped attendance. First meeting of every semester I'd give my famous "I don't write people up because I'm a jerk, I write you up for being stupid" speech. That line made my RA job real easy because I basically laid down what being stupid meant which was if it's against the rules and I can see it you will be written up. If I don't see it you have nothing to worry about because I was not going to proactively look to write people up. I was pretty lax on quiet hours, you'd get a warning to quiet down but my main rule was if you woke me up in the middle of the night there would be no warning. Never once had one of my own residents upset at me when they got written up, most of them knew they deserved it and even appologized for "being stupid." Not always with the case with people on other floors that I had to write up though...

Go Cubs Go!

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by aeroclone View Post
    Ha, that is too funny. Yeah, I spent a couple years in the dorms, and I actually made it a point to not attend house meetings. Other than the first and last meeting of the year, there really isn't much need to be there.
    I disagree with that quite strongly. If you're looking to be a total shut-in, then sure, there's no reason for you to come. For everyone else who wants to be involved in what's going on around them, house meetings are a great place to do it. People that regularly attend those meetings are far more likely to wind up in leadership positions, both inside and outside the residence halls. A majority of students eventually look for some sort of leadership experience, and that's a great way to get started.

Additionally, it's also a great way to find out what's going on around campus. People will share events that they've heard about or are involved in; a lot of the time, those are things the average resident wouldn't have heard about otherwise. Plus you get the bonus of immediately knowing that there are other people interested in going, so you don't have to attend alone.

Is every minute of every house meeting in the history of mankind a treasure trove of useful knowledge? Of course not. Neither are the US government's meetings, but we consider those pretty important, overall. In my experience, there's more than enough good stuff that can't be found elsewhere to justify attending house meetings.

True and Valiant

I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.