Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Unhappy BASEBALL - Still Missing

Another season without a team. I can't believe the school I chose in 1970 to play baseball and basketball no longer can support a team. I stayed for two years and played both. Then went on to play professionally for 10 years. We won a Big 8 Championship and had a few players sign pro contracts those two years . A great time. Now I have 2 sons the oldest is an ISU grad and the youngest went for a year and transferred to a baseball playing school.
    The money for coaches and facilities are great, but you miss the point, our school should give talented young people the chance to persue an opportunity in baseball.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 185
    Given: 434

Re: BASEBALL - Still Missing

Baseball is not missing. The Cubs won just an hour or so ago ;)

All-Star
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,141
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Quote Originally Posted by jeff cy View Post
    Another season without a team. I can't believe the school I chose in 1970 to play baseball and basketball no longer can support a team. I stayed for two years and played both. Then went on to play professionally for 10 years. We won a Big 8 Championship and had a few players sign pro contracts those two years . A great time. Now I have 2 sons the oldest is an ISU grad and the youngest went for a year and transferred to a baseball playing school.
    The money for coaches and facilities are great, but you miss the point, our school should give talented young people the chance to persue an opportunity in baseball.

Here, here! The support is there Jeff, hopefully ISU can field a team within the next 5 years. Even if I live in Germany I think I would buy season baseball tickets just to support the team.

Addict
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 127
    Given: 20

What are the chances of ISU fielding a baseball team in the near future? I would love to see them back on the diamond - plus, it was fun to watch the Iowa - Iowa State baseball games.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 264
    Given: 95

as a longtime player and fan of the sport I too would love to see it make its return at ISU, but I just don't see it soon. From what I have heard attendance was pretty lousy, and admission was free! In addition, we really need to build a better facility. All that makes baseball a big fiscal responsibility for the athletic department, a department without much cash to spare.

All we can do is hope that Pollard really builds the athletic program up quickly and then baseball can return sooner rather than later. The most we can do to help baseball return is to push all of our friends and fellow fans to join the NCC and buy season tickets to other sports.

And go Cubs!

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernHawk View Post
    What are the chances of ISU fielding a baseball team in the near future? I would love to see them back on the diamond - plus, it was fun to watch the Iowa - Iowa State baseball games.
    That's one of JP's goals for the next 5 years at ISU. Well, technically it says "bring back a discontinued program" but we all know it's baseball. TitleIX really screwed us with the baseball program. It's a great intent, but they went about it all wrong. Like most things the government does with schools.... ::cough cough:: NCLB ::cough cough::

"Seven minutes to glory."

All-Star
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,141
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

I think its ironic that two of the mens sports who hold a championship closest to Ames are in programs ISU doesn't have. Hockey usually isn't too far away, but baseball is literally a two hour drive away. If you want to know where and how you can be successful just look at where the championships are held. Look how well Creighton and Neb. do.

Wrestling - pretty close - self explanitory how well we do
    Basketball - Sometimes in St Louis, not the closest location but not that far away. We have been less successful than in wrestling but...
    Football - always far, far away.. almost no success

With the right marketing I think ISU baseball can be very successful. Its what farmers love, isn't it?

All-Star
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,012
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 46

What are the chances of ISU fielding a baseball team in the near future? I would love to see them back on the diamond
    But would you pay to see them on the field? Fan attendance was god-awful and there were more players on the field than people in the stands more times than not. I hope we never bring it back, I'd rather see rugby elevated to a varsity status and I know for a fact that won't happen either. Bringing back baseball for the sake of having a baseball team is not economically feasible or logical.

Legend
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 254
    Given: 147

Quote Originally Posted by jeff cy View Post
    Another season without a team. I can't believe the school I chose in 1970 to play baseball and basketball no longer can support a team. I stayed for two years and played both. Then went on to play professionally for 10 years. We won a Big 8 Championship and had a few players sign pro contracts those two years .
    No, no, no, no, no, no, no...what you say can't possibly be true. I have been assured over and over again by several posters on this website as well as the one I particiapted in before this one that ISU, as a northern school, could never be competitive in baseball. The weather is too bad, the playing season is too short, etc.

No, no, no, no, no, no, no...you must be wrong. There's no possible way that ISU, as a northern school, could have ever won a conference championship or played in the college world series.

No, no, no, no, no, no, no...you must have been smokin' some of that good hippie weed back then, or perhaps even having LSD hallucinations to even suggest that such a thing could ever happen...

/sarcasm off

Legend
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 34

Attendance was bad but definately not because of the product on the field... Had there been an actual 'stadium' and closer to campus then I am sure it would have been a bigger product. ISU baseball has been to the College World Series, has had more pros than any other sport and WAS the oldest sport at the school. From the last team two went on to be all americans at there next school and another three all conference. With just a small commitment I have no doubt Iowa State can compete in the big 12 in baseball.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 127
    Given: 20

Quote Originally Posted by burn587 View Post
    But would you pay to see them on the field? Fan attendance was god-awful and there were more players on the field than people in the stands more times than not. I hope we never bring it back, I'd rather see rugby elevated to a varsity status and I know for a fact that won't happen either. Bringing back baseball for the sake of having a baseball team is not economically feasible or logical.
    Actually, you have no idea of my college baseball obsession. I have traveled to Iowa baseball games at least half a dozen times each season, paying their HUGE fee ($3.00 for a ticket, lol), and I usually follow BigTen games on some sort of gametracker - when I have time.

If ISU were to field a baseball team, I would be in the stands.

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    Attendance was bad but definately not because of the product on the field... Had there been an actual 'stadium' and closer to campus then I am sure it would have been a bigger product. ISU baseball has been to the College World Series, has had more pros than any other sport and WAS the oldest sport at the school. From the last team two went on to be all americans at there next school and another three all conference. With just a small commitment I have no doubt Iowa State can compete in the big 12 in baseball.
    The problem was with the marketing of the team, not the location. Although a good place to watch the game would help as well, I didn't even know of the ISU baseball team until after it was shut down because of Title IX. Marketing is the first thing, and JP is amazing at that. I would love to see an ISU baseball team started back up under his wing.

Legend
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 34

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone62 View Post
    The problem was with the marketing of the team, not the location. Although a good place to watch the game would help as well, I didn't even know of the ISU baseball team until after it was shut down because of Title IX. Marketing is the first thing, and JP is amazing at that. I would love to see an ISU baseball team started back up under his wing.
    We always thought that there would be a ton of people at games if they had a stadium in the intramural fields over by Maple-Willow-Larch. Not only would it be a better fit for the program but on a nice day, people could see a game going on from Lincoln way and the dorms and stop in and watch. The location of Cap Timm was terrible, I even got lost on the first day of practice. Nobody knew where the field was, no to mention the low rent facility it was. Kansas and Missouri have recently made modest commitments to baseball recently and it has paid off more than they could ever expect. Last year the final three in the Big 12 tournament was Kansas, Missouri and Nebraska... I guanrantee nobody thought that possible when the big 12 was created.

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up

No, I agree Cybsball20. By location, I originally meant the stadium. You said something about building a better stadium. However, even with the location, better marketing would make it easier to sell.

Starter
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 209
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Am I the only one who actually liked Cap Timm Field? Granted, I lived right next to it for most of my time in Ames, so I might be a little biased. But I thought it was a great place to watch a game. I know it wasn't much more than a few rows of metal bleachers and a backstop, but I thought the setting was great -- right next to the Arboretum, with plenty of trees around.

My fondness for Cap Timm Field notwithstanding, I would love to see ISU bring back baseball. If building the team a new stadium at a different campus location would help the sport to succeed, I'm all for it. ISU has had a pretty respectable tradition in baseball. I know there have been conference championships and College World Series appearances in our past, though finding any information about it is virtually impossible now that the team has been disbanded. I agree, Cyclone62, a little JP marketing magic might be just the thing to make baseball a success at Iowa State once again.