Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Re: Hokie Hope (Orange and Maroon Effect) Please Read

I feel guilty saying this but I really don't agree with how everyone is making Virginia Tech, the institution, the victim here. Granted it happened on the campus, and it is obviously what all of the real victims had in common, but all of this "help and pray for Virginia Tech" instead of the actual victims rubs me the wrong way.

I remember the day it happened I went to a VT sports forum just for curiousity. Everyone was telling that sports board sorry. I know its the best a lot of people could do to send condolences... but what did this have to do with sports? I mean you are basically apologizing to random people and an overwhelming majority probably were not truely affected by this anymore than the average person in Iowa. Worse yet to me was the VT fans who were actually saying things like "thanks it means alot, we really appreciate it". Sympathy should be reserved for victims, their families and everyone DIRECTLY affected from the tragedy.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 206
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 61

Quote Originally Posted by ISUboi12 View Post
    I feel guilty saying this but I really don't agree with how everyone is making Virginia Tech, the institution, the victim here. Granted it happened on the campus, and it is obviously what all of the real victims had in common, but all of this "help and pray for Virginia Tech" instead of the actual victims rubs me the wrong way.

I remember the day it happened I went to a VT sports forum just for curiousity. Everyone was telling that sports board sorry. I know its the best a lot of people could do to send condolences... but what did this have to do with sports? I mean you are basically apologizing to random people and an overwhelming majority probably were not truely affected by this anymore than the average person in Iowa. Worse yet to me was the VT fans who were actually saying things like "thanks it means alot, we really appreciate it". Sympathy should be reserved for victims, their families and everyone DIRECTLY affected from the tragedy.
    I hear what you're saying. I'm kind of in agreement. I don't see a real point or good in wearing the schools' athletic colors. I'm sure it doesn't lessen the pain or help in any way to the grieving families.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 338
    Given: 239

I'll bet if ya spent a day on the VT campus, you'd think differently. From some of the articles I'm hearing, many students are still afraid to leave their dorms/apartments.

No, the athletic department was no the victim. Yet the entire VT campus/college is. Sports is a part of that..so...

All-Star
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,141
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

The first victims were in the dorms, it wouldnt be on my list of safe places...

I wasn't trying to take anything away from the school... It just reminded me alot of 9/11 when alot of people were reacting to it like it happened in their backyard and everyone in those buildings were their neighbors.

When Abel Bolanos (sp?) died I remember speaking with a kid in my class about it. To make a long story short he was really upset about it, you would have thought he was the kids best friend, people started telling him they were sorry and stuff and he was thanking them, but when people started asking things about Abel it turned out the kid only had known of him because they lived in the same dorm at one time.. He didn't know the kids last name, and the only reason he knew that it was the kid he lived with was because one of his friends was an acquaintance with Abel and he had told him. Some people just really enjoy the attention.

Case in point... If I asked anyone on this board what school it took place 100% of them would give the right answer. If I asked anyone the name of one person who was shot and killed... Then how many?

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Alright, from the way that I saw it, is that when I heard about it, being a college student, my heart went out to that community. Blacksburg is roughly the same size as Ames and ISU, similar demographics as well. Monday I didn't really feel too safe on campus, realizing something like that could happen anywhere. No, I did not know anybody killed from VT, but I also didn't know anyone who was killed on 9-11-01. Does that mean that we shouldn't honor their memories just because we didn't know them? That seems a bit cold-shouldered and closed-minded.

"Seven minutes to glory."

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 338
    Given: 239

Why must all the focus be detracted from what happened to controversial things like - who messed up, are people grieving in the right way, are the right people grieving, etc?

ISUboi12... I'm going to just end this discussion with you as...

I completely disagree and will not "debate" it with you further.

Last edited by ISUFan22; 04-19-2007 at 08:53 PM.

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up

ISUFan22: Are you talking to me, or ISUBoi?

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I don't think I said we shouldnt honor their memory.. I think my argument is that we should honor the individuals, not the institution.. I had the same emotions, except I wasn't scared, I guess...
    9/11 is different than this, totally. It wasn't even fair for me to make the comparison. But how long until the new "NYFD" hat is the VT hokie hat.. While the university sees a boost in revenue for people who want to support the tragedy, how much of that money will go to those students families and students who took bullets?

I see all these people joining facebook groups called "I support Virginia Tech." Well how exactly are you supporting them? By joining a group? What exactly is this support for, which goal? Sometimes people are quick to slap a "we remember" magnet on their car because its popular and then call it good. I think everyone should focus more on the victims and less on the institution... I guess I am closed minded....

ISUFan, I don't care if you disagree with me, in fact I don't care what you think at all. But I didn't mean to make you angry, sorry.

Last edited by ISUboi12; 04-19-2007 at 09:04 PM.

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I see all these people joining facebook groups called "I support Virginia Tech." Well how exactly are you supporting them? By joining a group? What exactly is this support for, which goal? Sometimes people are quick to slap a "we remember" magnet on their car because its popular and then forget about the whole thing. I think everyone should focus more on the victims and less on the institution... I guess I am closed minded....
    That makes it a little more clear as to what your intention was/is. But the way that I see it, is that I, nor anyone I know, is going to go out and buy some VT stuff because of this.

Sympathy should be reserved for victims, their families and everyone DIRECTLY affected from the tragedy.
    Also, with how much heat the VT Institution, campus police, and VT President are taking from this entire incident, I think it's a little more beneficial to support the institution as a whole in spirit, than just singling out the 32 individuals. Yes, they are the most important in the light of everything, but with how much people are trying to place blame on the institution that really couldn't have been prevented no matter what, I believe that deserve some support from this whole thing as well. There was an entire community that was attacked, not just those hit with the bullets. Everyone on that campus/town/community was effected.

Last edited by Cyclone62; 04-19-2007 at 09:12 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 43

You make a good point ISUboi.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I havent paid attention to the media coverage so I didn't know they were blaming the institution. I understand the "in spirit" point of view you are taking.

Of course there will always be individuals passionate about something like this no matter where you are, and sometimes joining a facebook group is all you can do... Maybe I have an issue always seeing things from the perspective that people are trying to turn a quick buck/gain undeserved attention or sympathy/ or digging for a personal connection with an event that is known throughout the world. When I see something that seems that way it REALLY bugs me.

By the way, I know someone who went out and bought a VT hat because of this. I think you will be suprised as to where you will start to see VT merchandise popping up.

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I understand what you're saying ISUBoi12, and I agree that we shouldn't give "donations" to the Institution, but that should be reserved for the students who were killed. I just think that we all should be with the VT community in spirit, especially if we can't physically help console those who survived those who passed on.

Rookie
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 437
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

ISUboi12, & Drive.

Just read the flyer, it's not about selling VT apparel. Wear orange and maroon if you want to. If you don’t then don't. I will wear a maroon shirt with an orange tie as a quiet tribute to the victims of a tragedy. You do not have to nor should you if you don't feel that it is a worthwhile gesture. Go about your day as usual. No one will notice the difference just as no one will notice anything different about me.

Cy Created by MC Doder

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jparker22 View Post
    ISUboi12, & Drive.

Just read the flyer, it's not about selling VT apparel. Wear orange and maroon if you want to. If you donít then don't. I will wear a maroon shirt with an orange tie as a quiet tribute to the victims of a tragedy. You do not have to nor should you if you don't feel that it is a worthwhile gesture. Go about your day as usual. No one will notice the difference just as no one will notice anything different about me.
    Exactly, honor their memory in your own way. No one has the right/wrong way to grieve or feel for these people. I did it my way iwith my sig. If that would offend someone, then too bad IMO.