Cyclone42

60th Anniversary of the Forgotten War (Korea)

http://www.omaha.com/article/2010041...an-war-stories

My dad was a veteran of WW2, Korea, and Vietnam. He never talked much about WW2 at all, probably because the memories were too traumatic. But he did talk about Korea. He died almost 10 years ago, so many of his stories have faded in my memories. But here is one that I am thinking of e-mailing to Mr. Hansen.

My dad was a supply sergeant in Korea. He was basically in charge of a unit. This was from about the time that the Allies were pushing north, to pin the North Koreans against the Yalu River. One day, all these American vehicles started moving south, one after another. After watching a great many American vehicles go by, and having no idea why so many were doing so, my dad goes out to the road and flags down one of the trucks. My dad asks him what was going on, why so many American units were going south, apparently as fast as they could. The guy tells my dad "You'd better get your unit packed up and moving because as soon as the rest of us are past you, there will be nobody between you and the Chinese but God."

(For those who don't know Korean War history, a whole lot of Chinese troops had flooded over the Korea-China border to aid North Vietnam)

Needless to say, he got his unit packed up and going.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 462
    Given: 239

Re: 60th Anniversary of the Forgotten War (Korea)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone42 View Post
    Share Korean War stories - Omaha.com

My dad was a veteran of WW2, Korea, and Vietnam. He never talked much about WW2 at all, probably because the memories were too traumatic. But he did talk about Korea. He died almost 10 years ago, so many of his stories have faded in my memories. But here is one that I am thinking of e-mailing to Mr. Hansen.

My dad was a supply sergeant in Korea. He was basically in charge of a unit. This was from about the time that the Allies were pushing north, to pin the North Koreans against the Yalu River. One day, all these American vehicles started moving south, one after another. After watching a great many American vehicles go by, and having no idea why so many were doing so, my dad goes out to the road and flags down one of the trucks. My dad asks him what was going on, why so many American units were going south, apparently as fast as they could. The guy tells my dad "You'd better get your unit packed up and moving because as soon as the rest of us are past you, there will be nobody between you and the Chinese but God."

(For those who don't know Korean War history, a whole lot of Chinese troops had flooded over the Korea-China border to aid North Vietnam)

Needless to say, he got his unit packed up and going.
    There certainly isn't enough public knowledge of that war (or other conflicts for that matter). I'm sure every soldier who has faced combat has a story that would beat the best writing coming out of Hollywood today.

Prospect
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 362
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

My Dad spent 18 months on the front lines in Korea. He passed away 7 years ago but the last few years of his life he was able to put his memories down on paper. I also have copies of the letters he sent home to my Grandparents while he was in Korea. Dad was 20 when he was sent to Korea and 22 when he came home for good. His favorite saying was "the best years of my life were the worst years of my life". Dad always said that Korea never changed him , but his brothers say that Dad left home a cocky, optimistic young boy and came home a quiet, humble, man.
    Dad was very proud of his time spent in Korea and was never afraid to tell anyone (even complete strangers) that he served there. He spent 6 months toting a BAR
    around and the last year he spent as a medic. ( He always said he got lucky and and got an infected hand and the Dr. that was treating him needed another medic and chose him).

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 688
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Both of my grandpa's fought in Korea.

One was a Navy Corpsman with a Marine unit and I can only imagine some of the things he has seen. He has started to open up and tell stories of his time there. He said that Seoul was demolished down to rubble when their unit was moving through.

Spend the time to watch this recent documentary on North Korea and it will make you even more proud of what was prevented (for the people of the South*). This video is from 2009, it's shockingly scary how oppressed and mind washed the people of North Korea live today. If you are at all interested in this part of our history, it is well worth the viewing time. 3 parts-

Vice Guide to North Korea 1 of 3 - The Vice Guide to Travel | VBS.TV

Starter
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by fairviewfarmer View Post
    My Dad spent 18 months on the front lines in Korea. He passed away 7 years ago but the last few years of his life he was able to put his memories down on paper. I also have copies of the letters he sent home to my Grandparents while he was in Korea. Dad was 20 when he was sent to Korea and 22 when he came home for good. His favorite saying was "the best years of my life were the worst years of my life". Dad always said that Korea never changed him , but his brothers say that Dad left home a cocky, optimistic young boy and came home a quiet, humble, man.
    Dad was very proud of his time spent in Korea and was never afraid to tell anyone (even complete strangers) that he served there. He spent 6 months toting a BAR
    around and the last year he spent as a medic. ( He always said he got lucky and and got an infected hand and the Dr. that was treating him needed another medic and chose him).
    Did he get to keep the BAR, and if so, is it still in the family?

There certainly isn't enough public knowledge of that war (or other conflicts for that matter). I'm sure every soldier who has faced combat has a story that would beat the best writing coming out of Hollywood today.
    I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but didn't MASH bring about a lot of public knowledge of that war? I know it was probably not realistic, but it was at one time the most successful, and longest running TV series of all time. In terms of syndication, it may still be.

Lifetime Achievement- In on page 1 of a THujone MS Paint thread.