Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Publisher
    Points: 773,509, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    ChrisMWilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    15,820
    Points
    773,509
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 515
    Given: 146

    Williams Blog: The battle to back up A-Rob


  2. #2
    All-Star
    Points: 26,984, Level: 50
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 566
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,230
    Points
    26,984
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Williams Blog: The battle to back up A-Rob

    According to the poll, you guys are putting a lot of faith into someone who has never played yet. I know the coaches rave about him. I'm not sure when a coach doesn't rave about a newcomer. However, we have a real competition going on for the 2 deeps, and no coach is going to throw that away the moment an 18 year old kid walks in the door.

    Last time I checked, it's not like he was a 5 star recruit.



  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 28,175, Level: 51
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 475
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    homeless
    Posts
    1,844
    Points
    28,175
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Williams Blog: The battle to back up A-Rob

    Quote Originally Posted by BooneCy View Post
    According to the poll, you guys are putting a lot of faith into someone who has never played yet. I know the coaches rave about him. I'm not sure when a coach doesn't rave about a newcomer. However, we have a real competition going on for the 2 deeps, and no coach is going to throw that away the moment an 18 year old kid walks in the door.

    Last time I checked, it's not like he was a 5 star recruit.
    What is your point?


    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Accept the truth

  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 44,255, Level: 65
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,295
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    zach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Subs
    Posts
    1,554
    Points
    44,255
    Level
    65
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Williams Blog: The battle to back up A-Rob

    Quote Originally Posted by GoShow97 View Post
    What is your point?

    I think his point is, unless the kid can get ahold of the offense during the summer, can identify where the blitz is coming from and can actually block the blitz or which hole to run through, how to read the D, he is at a major disadvantage starting ahead of the kids that are here learning the O and system. If it is a matter of just giving a kid the ball and run like Forrest Gump, I think we have a running back already that can run like a machine. Highly unlikely for a freshman running back, but I am not a coach.

    Z


    The grass always looks greener, on the other side of the fence, but the dog over there might be meaner, on the other side of the fence… Stay in your own yard, play in your own yard!

  5. #5
    Publisher
    Points: 773,509, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    ChrisMWilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    15,820
    Points
    773,509
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 515
    Given: 146

    Re: Williams Blog: The battle to back up A-Rob

    Quote Originally Posted by zach View Post
    I think his point is, unless the kid can get ahold of the offense during the summer, can identify where the blitz is coming from and can actually block the blitz or which hole to run through, how to read the D, he is at a major disadvantage starting ahead of the kids that are here learning the O and system. If it is a matter of just giving a kid the ball and run like Forrest Gump, I think we have a running back already that can run like a machine. Highly unlikely for a freshman running back, but I am not a coach.

    Z
    The thing is, he isn't going to be asked to do those things. If he plays, the coaches will set Shontrelle up to succeed. They'll use his athleticism to their advantage and not ask for too much. He won't have to do everything that you listed above in year number one because of A-Rob.



  6. #6
    All-Star
    Points: 44,255, Level: 65
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,295
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    zach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Subs
    Posts
    1,554
    Points
    44,255
    Level
    65
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Williams Blog: The battle to back up A-Rob

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    The thing is, he isn't going to be asked to do those things. If he plays, the coaches will set Shontrelle up to succeed. They'll use his athleticism to their advantage and not ask for too much. He won't have to do everything that you listed above in year number one because of A-Rob.
    I hope your right. If it is a matter of just handing the ball off, why hasn't Bo played. Haven't they tried to provide a road of success to him?

    Z


    The grass always looks greener, on the other side of the fence, but the dog over there might be meaner, on the other side of the fence… Stay in your own yard, play in your own yard!

  7. #7
    Publisher
    Points: 773,509, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    ChrisMWilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    15,820
    Points
    773,509
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 515
    Given: 146

    Re: Williams Blog: The battle to back up A-Rob

    Quote Originally Posted by zach View Post
    I hope your right. If it is a matter of just handing the ball off, why hasn't Bo played. Haven't they tried to provide a road of success to him?

    Z
    No clue. But it is pretty obvious to me that our staff doesn't feel like Bo Williams is a Big 12 running back.



  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 113,081, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Tornado man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    7,747
    Points
    113,081
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 54

    Re: Williams Blog: The battle to back up A-Rob

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    No clue. But it is pretty obvious to me that our staff doesn't feel like Bo Williams is a Big 12 running back.
    Without going into detail and repeating conversations, not intended to be public, at the coaches clinic last weekend, I will say you are correct.



  9. #9
    Starter
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    742
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Williams Blog: The battle to back up A-Rob

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    The thing is, he isn't going to be asked to do those things. If he plays, the coaches will set Shontrelle up to succeed. They'll use his athleticism to their advantage and not ask for too much. He won't have to do everything that you listed above in year number one because of A-Rob.
    Pardon me sir, but what you just said makes no sense as to the number two RB. If he can't pass block or understand the offense and his role, how in fact can he be the number two back



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 172,852, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    clonedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,438
    Points
    172,852
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124
    Given: 0

    Re: Williams Blog: The battle to back up A-Rob

    Quote Originally Posted by randallhatfield View Post
    Pardon me sir, but what you just said makes no sense as to the number two RB. If he can't pass block or understand the offense and his role, how in fact can he be the number two back
    Completely agree with you randallhatfield. If Shontrelle can't pass block or understand the offense, there is NO way in the world he will be the number two back. That statement made no sense whatsoever.

    You cannot put Shontrelle in there and hand it off to him every time he's in there because he can't pass block... the defense will know that. And if he doesn't understand the offense, then how in the world can Rhoads trust him to be in the right place?

    I think we all need to RELAX a LOT about Shontrelle. I'm as happy as can be that we got this kid, but c'mon... what kind of expectations have we already set up for him? Not many true freshman can come in and play running back at the Big 12 level. And Shontrelle was a 3 star recruit folks... not a 4 or 5. His offer list wasn't crazy good. In fact, he once committed to Northwestern. Northwestern is ok, but they aren't great by any means. Florida and FSU were interested in him as a d-back, not a running back. So let's all calm down a bit here.

    I hope he's as great as everyone thinks he already is, but my money would be on the guys already in the system in Beau, White, and Woody at this point to be the number two guy.

    How many times have we crowned the newcomers as the savior? Jason Scales was going to be the next Troy Davis. Josh Johnson was similar to LaDanian Tomlinson according to some. And we all know how Bo Williams was going to run for 2000 yds in the Big 12 last year since he was recruited by Florida, right?

    It's not fair to Beau, James White, Woody.... or Shontrelle to put these kinds of expectations on him. It's just not. The Big 12 is a whole new ball game from high school. Why don't we just assume that he'll be redshirted unless he proves otherwise?



  11. #11
    Publisher
    Points: 773,509, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    ChrisMWilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    15,820
    Points
    773,509
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 515
    Given: 146

    Re: Williams Blog: The battle to back up A-Rob

    Quote Originally Posted by randallhatfield View Post
    Pardon me sir, but what you just said makes no sense as to the number two RB. If he can't pass block or understand the offense and his role, how in fact can he be the number two back
    Valid points...I get what you're saying. I guess I look at it as he'll get the second most playing time.

    If AROB goes down, then yeah, plug one of the other guys in.

    I think we're on the same page.



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 172,852, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    clonedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,438
    Points
    172,852
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124
    Given: 0

    Re: Williams Blog: The battle to back up A-Rob

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    Valid points...I get what you're saying. I guess I look at it as he'll get the second most playing time.

    If AROB goes down, then yeah, plug one of the other guys in.

    I think we're on the same page.
    How do you figure he'll get the second most playing time? Have you seen Shontrelle play football in person? Or just his highlight reel? All players have great highlight reels.... all of them. Jeff Woody probably had an awesome highlight reel I'm guessing?

    What tells you at this point in time that you believe Shontrelle Johnson is any better than the other guys? I think Beau and James White were also 3 star guys, correct? As is Hollis.

    In fact, just based on highlight videos, I'd say that the best runner of all our recruits was Gary's video... and he's going to be a WR.

    I'm guessing you're going to come back with... "well the coaches are all high on him." How many times have we heard that before?

    Chances are.. Beau, White, and Woody will all be light years ahead of Shontrelle when he steps foot on campus this summer. They will most likely be in a lot better shape physically for football AND will already have an entire year learning this system. There will be a LOT for Shontrelle to overcome, just to see the field at all in his first year. I hope he does, but I'm not planning on it... that's for sure.



  13. #13
    Publisher
    Points: 773,509, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    ChrisMWilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    15,820
    Points
    773,509
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 515
    Given: 146

    Re: Williams Blog: The battle to back up A-Rob

    Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    How do you figure he'll get the second most playing time? Have you seen Shontrelle play football in person? Or just his highlight reel? All players have great highlight reels.... all of them. Jeff Woody probably had an awesome highlight reel I'm guessing?

    What tells you at this point in time that you believe Shontrelle Johnson is any better than the other guys? I think Beau and James White were also 3 star guys, correct? As is Hollis.

    In fact, just based on highlight videos, I'd say that the best runner of all our recruits was Gary's video... and he's going to be a WR.

    I'm guessing you're going to come back with... "well the coaches are all high on him." How many times have we heard that before?

    Chances are.. Beau, White, and Woody will all be light years ahead of Shontrelle when he steps foot on campus this summer. They will most likely be in a lot better shape physically for football AND will already have an entire year learning this system. There will be a LOT for Shontrelle to overcome, just to see the field at all in his first year. I hope he does, but I'm not planning on it... that's for sure.
    It has nothing to do with stars. Stars are wrong all of the time. It has to do with conversations I have had. That's it. Take it for what it is worth.



  14. #14
    Legend
    Points: 150,842, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Here nor there
    Posts
    10,520
    Points
    150,842
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 246
    Given: 265

    Re: Williams Blog: The battle to back up A-Rob

    Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    How do you figure he'll get the second most playing time? Have you seen Shontrelle play football in person? Or just his highlight reel? All players have great highlight reels.... all of them. Jeff Woody probably had an awesome highlight reel I'm guessing?

    What tells you at this point in time that you believe Shontrelle Johnson is any better than the other guys? I think Beau and James White were also 3 star guys, correct? As is Hollis.

    In fact, just based on highlight videos, I'd say that the best runner of all our recruits was Gary's video... and he's going to be a WR.

    I'm guessing you're going to come back with... "well the coaches are all high on him." How many times have we heard that before?

    Chances are.. Beau, White, and Woody will all be light years ahead of Shontrelle when he steps foot on campus this summer. They will most likely be in a lot better shape physically for football AND will already have an entire year learning this system. There will be a LOT for Shontrelle to overcome, just to see the field at all in his first year. I hope he does, but I'm not planning on it... that's for sure.
    Discussion on starters and two-deeps will be pretty quiet this off-season if we are limited to projecting only those that we have seen on a college field.
    Aren't all discussions for an up-coming based on speculation? It is all subjective at this point.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM