Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Thoughts on the Taylor "lynch mob mentality"

First I'm not saying what Mike did was right. I think it is incredibly stupid and irresponsible. I also think that if Coach Mac were to let him go I could understand Mac's choice to do so.

However, I have been struggling with why others on here are so quick to dismiss him and have a generally angry tone to their posts on the topic with a very vocal "don't let the door hit you in the @ss on the way out." People are questioning his character, saying he will end up in an orange jumpsuit, etc.

Yet, when you look at each incident (perhaps with exception of DUI which should be treated very seriously) they are just not that serious.

So, why the 'violent' reaction. I think it is simple. The Berryman situation is just still too fresh in the Cyclone community. People are upset in all kinds of ways for that whole situation, but must of us are just downright ****** that a kid with some much potential, so many opportunities would just throw it all away by not following a set of guidelines that just shouldn't have been that hard to live with. We get upset with the wasted potential. We get frustrated that the kid involved just 'doesn't get it.' We identify with Coach DMac who pretty much put it on the line for this kid and the kid betrayed him. In general no matter how you look at the whole drama it is just upsetting and it still is.

There are a couple of things that come to mind her that seem like analogies of what I'm driving at. First, a phrase uttered in an isolated setting that is considered completely harmless, but in a context where hurt/emotion is high and the same words are spoken it can really set people off. The person saying it can be villified in an instant. For example, what if you were at Virginia Tech yesterday and said something like "don't shoot the messenger" or "is that a gun in your pocket or you just happy to see me." Those phrases in that setting would really get you in some trouble but the same phrases uttered in Iowa today wouldn't even raise an eyebrow.
    Additionally, gestures and figures of speech, etc. that are cultural can be harmless in one country/social setting and completely inappropriate in another.

Coming back to the current Taylor situation. I think had this occurred a few years from now after a period of "healing" with no incidents or even a few years back there we be a much higher tolerance for this activity in the Cyclone community. Many/most would still be upset or irritated by it and I think we all would expect disciplinary actions. I just don't think we would have so many people "calling for his head" and wanting him kicked off the team so quickly.

If you follow my line of thinking here, I wonder if GMac has to factor this in to his handling of Taylor. As I posted on another thread, in no way do I think this is as cut and dry as people want to make it out to be. I would not want to be coach GMac and I resent Mike even putting coach and himself in this spot to begin with. Whatever GMac decides to do I'll support him and until Mike is officially dismissed from the team, HE IS STILL A CYCLONE. I think many of you need to realize that.

Just had to get that off my chest.

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 633
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: Thoughts on the Taylor "lynch mob mentality"

he had a cold

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

If he goes, I don't care if the door hits him or not...just as long as he doesn't steal or vandalize the door.

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 633
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

i was being funny arathorn, no pun intended

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I did see a couple bon fires around Ames tonight, but I would hardly call that a "lynch mob." I mean, they were stationary, and not once did I see a pitchfork!

"Seven minutes to glory."

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Nicely expressed, Arathorn Clone. I'm very disappointed in MT's actions, but I also trust GMac's judgement. What I don't know is Taylor's attitude concerning the incidents and what has been spoken between GMac and Taylor. If GMac told Taylor when he came to ISU that he was on a short leash because of the DUI, then it would be understandable if he kicked him off the team. But if GMac knows that Taylor is embarassed and sorry for his actions, then perhaps it's best to give Taylor a suspension and allow him to keep his scholarship and give him the opportunity to earn a college degree. So although I'm angry about the recent incidents and my first inclination is let MT go, I'm going to trust Gmac's judgement whatever he decides.

"THE SKIES SHALL RAIN BLOOD AND ALL THE WORLD SHALL QUAKE IN THE SHADOW OF THE CARDINAL AND GOLD!"

Rookie Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

From what has been released to the public so far you can place me on the mob side. It has nothing to do with the Berryman incident for me. Any member of the Cyclone family that steals from the community is not worth keeping around. If my son were to steal from someone I would take away his privileges. Mike has one year left and his privilege should be taken away in my opinion. Now if the court does not find him guilty, and G-Mac decides to keep him I will cheer for him on the court. But for now, with what I understand the situation to be, I have written Mike Taylor off.

Cy Created by MC Doder

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 100
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jparker22 View Post
    From what has been released to the public so far you can place me on the mob side. It has nothing to do with the Berryman incident for me. Any member of the Cyclone family that steals from the community is not worth keeping around. If my son were to steal from someone I would take away his privileges. Mike has one year left and his privilege should be taken away in my opinion. Now if the court does not find him guilty, and G-Mac decides to keep him I will cheer for him on the court. But for now, with what I understand the situation to be, I have written Mike Taylor off.
    Well you live by a very high and strict moral code then. I personally believe there is a reason why there are "degrees" of theft. Stealing a car or stealing $100,000 is not on the same level as $11 cold medicine in my judicial book. Yes, they are all acts of stealing and theft is a crime but as the saying goes, the punishment should fit the crime.

I know many folks do have moral "laws" that in their belief system is cut and dry. like murder for example or abortion, but I think you'd be hardpressed to find someone that thinks the punishment for stealing a pack of gum should be the same as stealing a shipment of TV's for example.

To use your "if my son..." line, if my son was caught stealing cough medicine there would be discipline and he would lose some privileges - for a time, not forever. Also, I would not kick him out of the house.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 3

To use your "if my son..." line, if my son was caught stealing cough medicine there would be discipline and he would lose some privileges - for a time, not forever. Also, I would not kick him out of the house
    I have Known Coach Mac for almost 20 years, this one is going to be hard to call. Greg is a man with alot of integrity and prides himself on doing the right thing.

Trouble is, Is Mike Taylor worth it? Mike struggled all year long with his Basketball IQ on the Floor and did not fit into Mac's system, add the repeated problems off the court, academics, alcohol, destructive behavior, and now theft (while already suspended mind you).....

Mike only has 1 more year left, and ISU does not need him, with the recruits coming in his playing time would diminish unless he could adapt to Mac's way....

But as Greg said to me the other day, I need to think about this one, Mike Taylor needs us, more than we need him. I do also believe that Mac knows he can not save everyone, and has to protect ISU and himself...

My guess is Mike Taylor will be let go, the bad unforunately out weighs the good in this one, and I believe Greg will try and get him help......sad deal

Last edited by coachdags; 04-25-2007 at 09:09 PM.

Starter
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 11

Questions-----Do we need MT? Will MT improve? Will MT not get caught in the next 11 months? I now have no reason to believe MT will walk the straight and narrow line, he will probably just be more careful so as not to get caught. That is my view of human nature. He can stay or go I have no problem with either direction, because GMac will have an easy choice next time, if there is a next time.

All-Star
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 867
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone62 View Post
    I did see a couple bon fires around Ames tonight, but I would hardly call that a "lynch mob." I mean, they were stationary, and not once did I see a pitchfork!
    that is normal this time of the year it is VEISHEA week. Not becasue of Taylor.

Kyle S. Flander

Speechless
    Overall activity: 83.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,066
    Given: 567

Quote Originally Posted by coachdags View Post

Trouble is, Is Mike Taylor worth it? Mike struggled all year long with his Basketball IQ on the Floor and did not fit into Mac's system, add the repeated problems off the court, academics, alcohol, destructive behavior, and now theft (while already suspended mind you).....

Mike only has 1 more year left, and ISU does not need him, with the recruits coming in his playing time would diminish unless he could adapt to Mac's way....
    I really don't think that Mike Taylor being "worth it" has anything to do with this decision, and I don't think it should. I would hope that the last player off the bench would get the same treatment as the star. I am sure it doesn't always work out like that, but it should.

As to the original post, I'm in the middle on this one. Kids make mistakes all the time. I made them when I was his age. You can't condemn a kid for life for screwing up a few times. And I believe in second chances. But at the same time, he has to understand that everything he does reflects directly on the team, his coach, and Iowa State University. He has brought embarrassment upon himself and the people around him.

Walk On
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 461
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

In my opinion, what this comes down to is that Taylor is representing Iowa State University. I have heard many people saying that the value of the item stolen was "only" $11 and that he really didn't cause too much damage in the apartment that he vandalized, etc. In a way, people are making excuses for him that these things were not that big of a deal. They may not have been from a monitary standpoint, but the actions are what concerns me.

In general, I don't want a person who has multiple arrests representing ISU. That person obviously doesn't get it and it makes the school look bad.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82

I for one thing Taylor is essential to the team's success next year. He has a lot of problems while on the court but we'd be forced to have a rotation of ZERO guys who have played Big 12 basketball again.

That being said I don't think that should factor into the decision at all. I don't think it will either.

I understand what you're saying Arathorn, but those posts you are talking about are in the minority. People are upset with Mike to be sure, but I don't think anybody has some sort of Vendetta against him.

Legend
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 214
    Given: 829

Quote Originally Posted by ISUguy View Post
    In my opinion, what this comes down to is that Taylor is representing Iowa State University. I have heard many people saying that the value of the item stolen was "only" $11 and that he really didn't cause too much damage in the apartment that he vandalized, etc. In a way, people are making excuses for him that these things were not that big of a deal. They may not have been from a monitary standpoint, but the actions are what concerns me.

In general, I don't want a person who has multiple arrests representing ISU. That person obviously doesn't get it and it makes the school look bad.
    Exactly.