Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Victory song?

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 307
    Given: 86

Victory song?

I was talking about this with some guys, and thought CF would be a good place to get some more input/possibly get the ball rolling.

ISU is admittedly lacking in game day traditions. One thing I've always loved is when schools have a victory song like Alabama/"Sweet Home Alabama", West Virginia/"Country Roads Take me Home", Tennessee/"Rocky Top" and even (yes I admit I'm jealous as hell of this) Iowa/"In Heaven There is no Beer".

We've started doing the "Sweet Caroline" thing, but I think it's kind of fad. A lot of other schools do it, and it's right up there with "Livin' on a Prayer" as a cheesy song it's become cool/funny to like over recent years.

I know it's probably a bit of a cheesy song, but I think it's a great fit for ISU, given the school's ag programs and the fact that a lot of students/alumni/fans have connections to rural Iowa, but I think "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" would be a great ISU victory song. Other songs that guys threw out there were "Roll out the Barrel" (Brewers song) and the official State song of Iowa ("that's where the tall corn grows"). Any thoughts or song suggestions?

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 442
    Given: 295

Re: Victory song?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-jOEAufDQ4]YouTube - Psychostick - BEER![/ame]

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 612
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

How about Cyclone by Baby Bash? I can't really think of anything off the top of my head at the moment that would be a good song

Go Cubs Go!

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CYdTracked View Post
    How about Cyclone by Baby Bash? I can't really think of anything off the top of my head at the moment that would be a good song
    You really see a full stadium singing this? What about a marching band adaptation? Rap doesn't lend itself here at all.

If you look at the schools who do it, there's never a reference to their mascot. It's usually a reference to the state (Country Roads, Sweet Home), or just something funny/festive (In Heaven there is no Beer).

Speechless
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 442
    Given: 295

Quote Originally Posted by CYdTracked View Post
    Just because the lyrics include the word "Cyclone" in it doesn't save it from being one of the worst songs ever to disgrace this planet...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Given: 41

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    I was talking about this with some guys, and thought CF would be a good place to get some more input/possibly get the ball rolling.

ISU is admittedly lacking in game day traditions. One thing I've always loved is when schools have a victory song like Alabama/"Sweet Home Alabama", West Virginia/"Country Roads Take me Home", Tennessee/"Rocky Top" and even (yes I admit I'm jealous as hell of this) Iowa/"In Heaven There is no Beer".

We've started doing the "Sweet Caroline" thing, but I think it's kind of fad. A lot of other schools do it, and it's right up there with "Livin' on a Prayer" as a cheesy song it's become cool/funny to like over recent years.

I know it's probably a bit of a cheesy song, but I think it's a great fit for ISU, given the school's ag programs and the fact that a lot of students/alumni/fans have connections to rural Iowa, but I think "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" would be a great ISU victory song. Other songs that guys threw out there were "Roll out the Barrel" (Brewers song) and the official State song of Iowa ("that's where the tall corn grows"). Any thoughts or song suggestions?
    yes please. A few people on here have commented about how they enjoyed the polka version of the fight song.

Addict
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 361
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Not a victory song; the UT band plays it like 50 times a game.

Bonus points for who can name the Ohio State victory song.

Legend
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 164
    Given: 537

Love this idea. I have absolutely no idea what would be a great song for ISU but I really like the idea. ISU needs to build traditions and now with CPR at the helm, is a great time to get started.

Starter
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 41
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

Don't know about what would be the best ISU victory song.
    However, I do wish that before every start of the game, they would blast "You're Going Down" by Sick Puppies. Love that song. Always gets me fired up.

Pro
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,821
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by TarHeelHawk View Post

Yeah, but they play it after they win too.

"Karl Malone love making up jokes. Karl Malone always say, 'laughter is the best Mexican.' "

-Jimmy Kimmel impersonating Karl Malone

Starter
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 13

Along those same lines, why is the "victory bell" located outside the stadium? And why does it ring only if some 8 year old grabs the handle on the way out of the stadium? Bring that sucker in and mount it over by the Honor Before Victory pillar. After a win, get one of the cheer dudes over there to ring it as the team is heading back up the ramp to the locker room.

Sometimes I think we don't even try to establish traditions worth keeping. It would be easy to do something like this, but it's as if it doesn't even cross the minds of some of the event/gameday people in the athletics department.

Then again, we've completely butchered the pregame for a number of years, so we shouldn't be surprised. If there were actual fans of college football in these event/gameday planning positions, we'd probably get better results. They don't know what gets a crowd going. They don't know tradition.

Pro
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,821
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 3

I do like when the band does the rendition of Roll Out the Barrel, even though the dirty, low-life, stinking Brewers do it as well.

"Karl Malone love making up jokes. Karl Malone always say, 'laughter is the best Mexican.' "

-Jimmy Kimmel impersonating Karl Malone

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cybyassociation View Post
    yes please. A few people on here have commented about how they enjoyed the polka version of the fight song.
    The only problem with this one for me, is that I'm pretty sure UW plays it either as a victory song or during the games. I don't want to pick something that another college uses, like Sweet Caroline, or JP's ill fated attempt to steal Jump Around.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by psychlone99 View Post
    Along those same lines, why is the "victory bell" located outside the stadium? And why does it ring only if some 8 year old grabs the handle on the way out of the stadium? Bring that sucker in and mount it over by the Honor Before Victory pillar. After a win, get one of the cheer dudes over there to ring it as the team is heading back up the ramp to the locker room.

Sometimes I think we don't even try to establish traditions worth keeping. It would be easy to do something like this, but it's as if it doesn't even cross the minds of some of the event/gameday people in the athletics department.

Then again, we've completely butchered the pregame for a number of years, so we shouldn't be surprised. If there were actual fans of college football in these event/gameday planning positions, we'd probably get better results. They don't know what gets a crowd going. They don't know tradition.
    Getting the Victory Bell back into the stadium and actually using it is a great idea.

There have been many times where I've wondered if the people in the ISU Athletic Dept even like sports (the entire BVD era).

Addict
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 140
    Given: 49

Quote Originally Posted by TarHeelHawk View Post

I don't know if it is their victory song or not, but doesn't Ohio State have a tradition of singing Hang on Sloopy or something like that?