Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 504
    Given: 120

Re: Paul Shirley & the journalism forum

Just read this...Former ISU basketball star unapologetic for remarks that cost him ESPN job | Ames News Online

I think his comments were definitely not timed well, but I still agree with him 100%.

Pro
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 398
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 11

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    Just read this...Former ISU basketball star unapologetic for remarks that cost him ESPN job | Ames News Online

I think his comments were definitely not timed well, but I still agree with him 100%.
    The question begs, then, if you believe (and he believes) he said the right thing, why does it matter when he says it?

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrocks View Post
    The question begs, then, if you believe (and he believes) he said the right thing, why does it matter when he says it?
    General public perception.

Obviously his blog is going to receive ALOT of negative feedback when posted a week after the disaster. If he would have posted last week, it would not have received near the attention, and I'm willing to bet he still has a job with ESPN.

Pro
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 398
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 11

Obviously his blog is going to receive ALOT of negative feedback when posted a week after the disaster. If he would have posted last week, it would not have received near the attention, and I'm willing to bet he still has a job with ESPN.
    I don't disagree with you. Just wanting to debate someone for some reason.

Pro
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 908
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 5

If you wait until no one will be offended, there's not much point in even writing anything.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Ms3r4ISU View Post
    If you wait until no one will be offended, there's not much point in even writing anything.
    I don't disagree, but my point remains the same. The article means the same thing no matter when you blog it. However, how it is perceived by the general public most definitely changes with time.

Asst. Regional Manager
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 381
    Given: 301

Nothing wrong with what he said, its just Haiti didn't need someone to tell them why they are the way they are. They just need help.

@RandomGeoFacts

Pro
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,900
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 79
    Given: 93

Well, I just got done reading the whole column for the first time, and while I agreed with it in part and disagreed with it in part, I didn't find it particularly offensive except for this;

Dear Haitians –
    First of all, kudos on developing the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere. Your commitment to human rights, infrastructure, and birth control should be applauded.
    As we prepare to assist you in this difficult time, a polite request: If it’s possible, could you not re-build your island home in the image of its predecessor? Could you not resort to the creation of flimsy shanty- and shack-towns? And could some of you maybe use a condom once in a while?
    Sincerely,
    The Rest of the World

If Paul had written everything else besides that section word for word, I don't think the reaction would have been nearly as negative as it was. I think that section was a bit unnecessary and needlessly provocative.

As for Paul, well, I'm sure that some diehard Cyclone fans that post here who feel we are supposed to love our former student-athletes unconditionally will slam me, but the guy just strikes me as being a first-class *********. He is certainly highly intelligent, but he strikes me as being exceptionally arrogant and just not a very pleasant person all-around. I really can't feel much more for him than pure neutrality, if he gets back into basketball and can actually stay with a team, good for him I suppose. If he gets back into writing and has a best-seller, good for him. If he ends up in poverty like most of the population of Haiti, oh well.....

Last edited by ISUChippewa; 04-08-2010 at 01:55 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,020
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by ISUChippewa View Post
    Well, I just got done reading the whole column for the first time, and while I agreed with it in part and disagreed with it in part, I didn't find it particularly offensive except for this;

Dear Haitians
    First of all, kudos on developing the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere. Your commitment to human rights, infrastructure, and birth control should be applauded.
    As we prepare to assist you in this difficult time, a polite request: If its possible, could you not re-build your island home in the image of its predecessor? Could you not resort to the creation of flimsy shanty- and shack-towns? And could some of you maybe use a condom once in a while?
    Sincerely,
    The Rest of the World

If Paul had written everything else besides that section word for word, I don't think the reaction would have been nearly as negative as it was. I think that section was a bit unnecessary and needlessly provocative.

As for Paul, well, I'm sure that some diehard Cyclone fans that post here who feel we are supposed to love our former student-athletes unconditionally will slam me, but the guy just strikes me as being a first-class *********. He is certainly highly intelligent, but he strikes me as being exceptionally arrogant and just not a very pleasant person all-around. I really can't feel much more for him than pure neutrality, if he gets back into basketball and can actually stay with him, good for him I suppose. If he gets back into writing and has a best-seller, good for him. If he ends up in poverty like most of the population of Haiti, oh well.....

I still like Paul. He writes what he feels. It's called freedom of speech and I am tired of our society censoring every thing so it is PC. Yeah he made some comments that a lot of people don't agree with. Yes he took a shot at Haiti in a time of disaster. News flash for you. Lots of countries out there take shots at the United States. When I studied in Australia, I saw anti US flyers and publications. I admire people who say what they mean and mean what they say.

Walk On
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 262
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Well, Shirley has a poor sense of history if he thinks the Haitians are the reason Haiti sucks.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 737
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 393
    Given: 96

Why wasn't the crybaby blogging about Haiti weeks/months/years before the earthquake? Had he ever mentioned Haiti in any of his blogs leading up to that one?

You're right on the timing. He chose to write it to get people to read it. Sounds like a guy that thinks he's a lot smarter than he actually is.

Pro
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,900
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 79
    Given: 93

Yes he took a shot at Haiti in a time of disaster. News flash for you. Lots of countries out there take shots at the United States. When I studied in Australia, I saw anti US flyers and publications. I admire people who say what they mean and mean what they say.

Apples and oranges here man. We got support from all over the world after 9/11. And besides, when we have an earthquake that kills 250,000 people (God forbid), let's talk then and see what kind of international support we may or may not get.

So you saw some anti-US flyers abroad? Okay? And your point is?

Addict
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,020
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by ISUChippewa View Post
    Yes he took a shot at Haiti in a time of disaster. News flash for you. Lots of countries out there take shots at the United States. When I studied in Australia, I saw anti US flyers and publications. I admire people who say what they mean and mean what they say.

Apples and oranges here man. We got support from all over the world after 9/11. And besides, when we have an earthquake that kills 250,000 people (God forbid), let's talk then and see what kind of international support we may or may not get.

So you saw some anti-US flyers abroad? Okay? And your point is?

My point is everyone has their own opinions about other people, and nations. Whose job is it to say whose opinion is right?

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by ribsnwhiskey View Post
    Why wasn't the crybaby blogging about Haiti weeks/months/years before the earthquake? Had he ever mentioned Haiti in any of his blogs leading up to that one?

You're right on the timing. He chose to write it to get people to read it. Sounds like a guy that thinks he's a lot smarter than he actually is.
    It was plain old exploiting a situation to gain popularity. The shock and awe. He ranks right up there with the likes of Howard Stern as far as "journalists" go. The guy has always been an ***.

Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    The only answer to "who/what is GeronimusClone?" is in fact "GeronimousClone". You're like The Todd on Scrubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    This is why you're my favorite

Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    GC, he's obviously all man. And I don't think Ellen would go *****, even for GC...