SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Question 2008 holes to fill

Written by: Chris B.
    Contact Chris at chrisb@cyclonefanatic.com

Obviously it is too early to tell at this point, but I thought it would be as good of a time as any with the Spring Game still fresh in our minds.

When looking at our current team, and with the projected progress of the incoming players, what positions do you think are going to be the key holes to fill with another recruiting class under Chizik's belt. Obviously the O-line will still need the help, but will it be the biggest downfall next year? Meyer, Blythe, Bowen, and Banks will all be gone. Do any of these positions cause concern?

I really feel that WR will be a concern. Blythe is gone and there hasn't been anyone to step up to fill that role at this point. It's a pretty big hole to fill, but one that is definitely needed. Sumrall was noted as looking pretty sharp during the spring game, and Hamilton is high on the coaches list, but do either of them have what it takes to fill the role? Of course there is Wallace Franklin coming in to add great speed, but he lacks the size that made Blythe dynamic at the position. Now there may also be some scout player ready to shine, but some how I doubt that.

LB's seems to be another to consider. This year should be as good of a year as any as long as Jesse Smith makes the transition with ease. Although, if he doesnt, and with Bowen no longer beside him, what will stop the running game? This raises red flags as a fan, and makes me nervous for future success. This would be a positoin to have someone we are all confident in to make an impact.

Now in no way am I down playing the abilities of the current players. In fact, I only wish great success for them all, but of course we all know that doesn't always happen. I am really high on Smith, Sumrall, and Hamilton. I really like what these guys can bring. A new attitude, a new look, and hopefully new success.

Sound off on what you think.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Rookie
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 437
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Re: 2008 holes to fill

My mind is in the gutter tonight and I am laughing to tears. That's all I have for now. Sorry I didn't add any value, but had to comment on the title.

Cy Created by MC Doder

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 633
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

hope your not thinking of filling his hole

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

-I'm not so much worried about the WR. I think Sumrall will be very good this year. If Franklin gets so campus, he will be good from all i heard. He is 6-3, thats still pretty big.
    -I am confident that Arnaud can step in. Hopefully Bates is as good as people say.
    -O-line will need help, no doubt
    -Banks hasn't proven anything to me yet. Ace Bowen will definately be tough to replace.
    -We don't have a single CB this year that has proven anything, so I next year we will probably need to fill a hold there.
    -I guess what i should be saying is I could go on and on, we have a lot of holes to fill....

CF Founder
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 355
    Given: 251

Wow, good insight guys

I think WR is a worry just because we really don't have a lot of history of success there BUT that could be said with all the areas of weakness so I digress... If we can get a few decent JUCOs next year to compliment what we'll have coming in for freshman, I think we can help build a solid foundation for the following year's recruiting class.

To be honest, I really don't see us having a decently deep roster for about 3-4 years but that's the problem with being mediocre for so long and having the other schools with a big advantage over us already for the next recruiting class or two.

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 633
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I think recruting will pick up at WR as soon as Todd Blythe is gone..
    However, RJ Sumrall, Marquis Hamilton, hopefully Wallace Franklin, Derron Mongomery... We have a good stock of WRs, and i think WR is a postion where a star can most quickly arise.

Starter
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I think DB will become a position of strength after this year with so many young players who will see time this year. Singleton started all of last year, then you've got sophomores in Allen Bell, Drenard Williams, Steve Johnson, James Smith, and frosh like Devin McDowell and Zac Sandvig all fighting for PT.

Addict
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 300
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

CB is another that I didn't think of, but is a valid postion to consider as well. Actually, like stated above, I think all positions are sort of holes until the staff hopefully builds a strong foundation to compliment their system of running things.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Recruit
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 49
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by guitarchitect7 View Post
    Written by: Chris B.
    Contact Chris at chrisb@cyclonefanatic.com

Obviously it is too early to tell at this point, but I thought it would be as good of a time as any with the Spring Game still fresh in our minds.

When looking at our current team, and with the projected progress of the incoming players, what positions do you think are going to be the key holes to fill with another recruiting class under Chizik's belt. Obviously the O-line will still need the help, but will it be the biggest downfall next year? Meyer, Blythe, Bowen, and Banks will all be gone. Do any of these positions cause concern?

I really feel that WR will be a concern. Blythe is gone and there hasn't been anyone to step up to fill that role at this point. It's a pretty big hole to fill, but one that is definitely needed. Sumrall was noted as looking pretty sharp during the spring game, and Hamilton is high on the coaches list, but do either of them have what it takes to fill the role? Of course there is Wallace Franklin coming in to add great speed, but he lacks the size that made Blythe dynamic at the position. Now there may also be some scout player ready to shine, but some how I doubt that.

LB's seems to be another to consider. This year should be as good of a year as any as long as Jesse Smith makes the transition with ease. Although, if he doesnt, and with Bowen no longer beside him, what will stop the running game? This raises red flags as a fan, and makes me nervous for future success. This would be a positoin to have someone we are all confident in to make an impact.

Now in no way am I down playing the abilities of the current players. In fact, I only wish great success for them all, but of course we all know that doesn't always happen. I am really high on Smith, Sumrall, and Hamilton. I really like what these guys can bring. A new attitude, a new look, and hopefully new success.

Sound off on what you think.
    I believe Fred Garrin passed Smith on the mlb depth chart.

We need LINEMEN. Both on offense and defense. There is no doubt that games are won in the trenches.

Other than that, I want a couple good running backs. I mean STUDS. That would be nice.

Pro
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 845
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

go to pearl river juco college in mississippi and recruit their offensive and defensive lines.their offensive and defensive lines would probably start on the cyclone lines.pearl rivers athletes look like an animal house-big and tough.

doc

Prospect
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 299
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I think that chizik and staff need to just keep recruiting the high schools and not try to get the quick fix to fill holes in 2008. I hope the jucos this year pan out to be good players but the juco ranks are to much of a risk. Just get quality high school players who can develop and have 3-4 years of playing time. There will be holes but I think that ISU football is definetly on the rise

Honor Before Victory

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 132
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 68

Defensive line, DL, and DL.. Whenever we've had successful teams, we've had decent defensive lines. Through the years, successful seasons have always had one thing in common. Guys like Leaders (plural), Hayward, Carstens, Reed, Stensrud, Krakau...

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 702
    Given: 528

LOL, sounds like my summers at ISU! hahaha 2008 of em. Just kidding. I got nothing. OT im sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by jparker22 View Post
    My mind is in the gutter tonight and I am laughing to tears. That's all I have for now. Sorry I didn't add any value, but had to comment on the title.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 548
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

We need a good stable of young running backs.

Actually, I can't think of position that where we're deep in both veterans and heir apparents. We need to get a little of everything.

Last edited by Whitey; 04-19-2007 at 03:55 PM.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

I think that Chizik will need to find some more JUCOs, but not as many. We'll need a JC LB to help replace Bowen, a hard hitting SS, one more OL for competition, a TE and a WR. So here's my total haul:

QB: 1 HS - you need one every year. If the staff isn't completely sold on Arnaud and Bates, you could see a JC here too.

RB: 2 HS - The depth chart will have three SR's in it, so getting a couple of HS RBs in the fold is imperative.

WR: 2 HS, 1 JC - Blythe and Moses are gone after this year, Sumrall and (hopefully) Franklin will be seniors next year.

TE: 2 HS, 1 JC - This position will be decimated by graduation. Who knows how good this year's transfer will be. One of the HS kids could be more of an H-Back.

OL: 3 HS, 1 JC - The staff went heavy on the OL last year, so I think they'll tone it down just a little this year.

DE: 2HS - Just keeping up the numbers.

DL: 2HS - More numbers for the rotation (both this and the DE position could easily change if Tate, Weir or Lyle dont show up or are busts).

LB: 3HS, 1JC - Time to replenish the ranks.

CB: 2HS - not really losing anyone, but they'll need guys down the line.

S: 2HS, 1JC - They need help here.

That's 25 scholarships. It wouldn't surprise me if they went after a kicker too if they can't trust Greibahn and Mahoski.

XXXX Master Shake is under gag order XXXX