Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Gordon Hayward

This kid has a babyface but he is a player!

He has excellent range with a very nice stroke. He has good handles. He has some very nice mid-range-and-in moves in his repertoire. He is stronger on defense and rebounding than his body would lead you to believe.

If he could pass a little better he might be the second coming of Larry Bird.

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

All-Star
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 396
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Gordon Hayward

He is really good. And only a sophmore. Until recently, I wasn't aware of how big he actually is. I think he is listed at like 6'8.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 377
    Given: 178

Worst mustache ever.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 781
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 11

Quote Originally Posted by CloneIce View Post
    Worst mustache ever.
    I think you are referring to Howard. His mustache is awful!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 19

He looks a little funny because he has a man's body, but the head of a 12 year old boy.

Good player however.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 377
    Given: 178

Quote Originally Posted by Ficklone02 View Post
    I think you are referring to Howard. His mustache is awful!
    Yeah I guess he's the one. So long, so scraggly, so ugly.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,043
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 4

Hayward is really an outstanding player, I personally think the most complete player in the tournament. Other will disagree and that's fine. 6'8 can put it on the floor, rebound, shoot it from anywhere, go inside when need be and is an excellent defender. Interesting he was a 3 star, 6'8 185 coming out of high school, skinny as a bean pole. Picked Butler over IUPUI and Purdue.

Howard was a pretty big recruit it looks like, 4 star player, picked Butler over Purdue, Indiana, Dayton and Xavier.

Pro
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,900
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 79
    Given: 93

He has excellent range with a very nice stroke. He has good handles. He has some very nice mid-range-and-in moves in his repertoire. He is stronger on defense and rebounding than his body would lead you to believe.

Wow, I'm impressed....strong words coming from you since in your previous posts in different threads you have seemed to hate mid-majors and don't even think they should be allowed to play basketball at all.

I agree with you. I think he is the best individual player with the biggest NBA upside left in the tournament.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUChippewa View Post

Wow, I'm impressed....strong words coming from you since in your previous posts in different threads you have seemed to hate mid-majors and don't even think they should be allowed to play basketball at all.

I agree with you. I think he is the best individual player with the biggest NBA upside left in the tournament.
    I don't hate mid-majors...I just call BS on anyone that tries to imply that the level of play in the mid-major conferences is anywhere near the level of play in the power conferences...because it is not.

You look at the teams from mid-major conferences that have made it to the finals...Indiana State, UNLV in the 90s, Memphis in the 00s, and now Butler and you see they are the exception rather than the rule.

What is interesting is there are a couple of common threads to these mid-majors that get this far...very talented (NBA good) players that spurned schools in the power conferences and went to the mid-major...and absolute total domination (no losses and often no one even giving a stiff challenge) of their mid-major conference both during the season and in the post season tournament.

What will be interesting is to see if Butler will be like Indiana State where the success was a total aberration or if they will be like UNLV of the 90s or Memphis of the 00s where they are able to maintain their level of success and gain the respect nationally to the point that they are not even really considered a mid-major in the eyes of most. To do that you have to keep that quality player pipeline flowing and you have to run the table in your league 2-3 years in a row and then make deep runs in the NCAAs every year.

Somehow, I get the impression that Butler will be more like Indiana State than UNLV or Memphis...but I could be wrong.

At any rate...Hayward is a fantastic player as I said before.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,043
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonenum1 View Post
    I don't hate mid-majors...I just call BS on anyone that tries to imply that the level of play in the mid-major conferences is anywhere near the level of play in the power conferences...because it is not.

You look at the teams from mid-major conferences that have made it to the finals...Indiana State, UNLV in the 90s, Memphis in the 00s, and now Butler and you see they are the exception rather than the rule.

What is interesting is there are a couple of common threads to these mid-majors that get this far...very talented (NBA good) players that spurned schools in the power conferences and went to the mid-major...and absolute total domination (no losses and often no one even giving a stiff challenge) of their mid-major conference both during the season and in the post season tournament.

What will be interesting is to see if Butler will be like Indiana State where the success was a total aberration or if they will be like UNLV of the 90s or Memphis of the 00s where they are able to maintain their level of success and gain the respect nationally to the point that they are not even really considered a mid-major in the eyes of most. To do that you have to keep that quality player pipeline flowing and you have to run the table in your league 2-3 years in a row and then make deep runs in the NCAAs every year.

Somehow, I get the impression that Butler will be more like Indiana State than UNLV or Memphis...but I could be wrong.

At any rate...Hayward is a fantastic player as I said before.
    All good points. I would argue Butler has been playing at a high level for a long time already, not national championship good, but they have been to the tourney 7 times since 2000. Also, they return 4 starters next year I believe, they will be very very good gain next year, probably ranked top 5 if I had to guess. (Hell they were top 10 at the begginning of this year.)

Addict
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 331
    Given: 3

I am making a prediction tonight, that Hayward scores maybe 10 and has 4 boards. I think Lance Thomas is going to eat his lunch....which I hate to say because I can't stand Duke.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 307
    Given: 86

He looks like the guy from Dodgeball that ends up with the nasty Eastern European woman. Regardless, the guy can seriously ball. He has a bright future.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Pro
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,821
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 3

Before we get too carried away on Hayward being a great outside shooter, it should be pointed out that he's only a 29% shooter from three point land this season. Granted, last year he took about the same number of threes and was a 44% shooter, but he has struggled from outside this year, even though he's knocked down a couple bigs ones in the tournament.

"Karl Malone love making up jokes. Karl Malone always say, 'laughter is the best Mexican.' "

-Jimmy Kimmel impersonating Karl Malone

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyatheart View Post
    All good points. I would argue Butler has been playing at a high level for a long time already, not national championship good, but they have been to the tourney 7 times since 2000. Also, they return 4 starters next year I believe, they will be very very good gain next year, probably ranked top 5 if I had to guess. (Hell they were top 10 at the begginning of this year.)

You know, I forgot about Utah in the 90s under Majerus.

They got to the finals with Keith Van Horn and Andre Miller. Kind of similar to Hayward and Mack of Butler.

Anyway, Utah was something in between Indiana State (one hit wonder on the national stage) and UNLV/Memphis (recognized as a perrenial power for a period of time on the national stage).

Maybe that will be where Butler ends up as well.

All-Star
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 528
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonenum1 View Post
    You know, I forgot about Utah in the 90s under Majerus.

They got to the finals with Keith Van Horn and Andre Miller. Kind of similar to Hayward and Mack of Butler.

Anyway, Utah was something in between Indiana State (one hit wonder on the national stage) and UNLV/Memphis (recognized as a perrenial power for a period of time on the national stage).

Maybe that will be where Butler ends up as well.

Not to be too picky but Utah made the finals with only Miller - Van Horn went pro the year before.....