View Poll Results: How many teams do you want in the NCAA Tournament?

Voters
191. You may not vote on this poll
  • 96 teams

    27 14.14%
  • 64 teams

    164 85.86%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 109
  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 79,028, Level: 87
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 1,122
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    SC Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    2,307
    Points
    79,028
    Level
    87
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 74

    64 or 96 NCAA Tournament teams

    Not even close. I hate the prospect of 96 teams.



  2. #2
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 38,227, Level: 60
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 823
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    cloneu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    4,122
    Points
    38,227
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 11

    Re: 64 or 96 NCAA Tournament teams

    68, one play in game to go against each of the number 1 seeds. That way a couple more decent teams can get into the tournament. But in no way 96 teams.


    Step 1: Cut a hole in the box.

  3. #3
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 70,335, Level: 82
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,115
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    isufbcurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    4,296
    Points
    70,335
    Level
    82
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 300
    Given: 622

    Re: 64 or 96 NCAA Tournament teams

    64 with no play in games.

    but the NCAA will expand because it means more money for them. I personally think this will make the tournament less exciting.



  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 135,716, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    clones_jer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    IA
    Posts
    8,337
    Points
    135,716
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Re: 64 or 96 NCAA Tournament teams

    over half of the eligible teams get bowl games - at least this is tournament style and still nowhere near 50%.



  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 857,279, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    55,075
    Points
    857,279
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,297
    Given: 1,129

    Re: 64 or 96 NCAA Tournament teams

    Quote Originally Posted by isufbcurt View Post
    64 with no play in games.

    but the NCAA will expand because it means more money for them. I personally think this will make the tournament less exciting.
    Unless the play-in game involves two at-large teams from major conferences that actually did have their shot and couldn't get it done. I hate having teams that took the time to qualify for the tournament get stuck playing each other in this play-in game.

    96 teams would be horrible.


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  6. #6
    Rookie CardinalAndGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    426
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: 64 or 96 NCAA Tournament teams

    Unfortunately it is looking like this might actually happen. I hate it and so do all of my friends. Who cares about picking the winner of Oral Roberts vs. San Diego State in the opening round?



  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 79,028, Level: 87
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 1,122
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    SC Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    2,307
    Points
    79,028
    Level
    87
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 74

    Re: 64 or 96 NCAA Tournament teams

    Quote Originally Posted by clones_jer View Post
    over half of the eligible teams get bowl games - at least this is tournament style and still nowhere near 50%.
    No, as it is now every team is in the tournament. The conference tournaments make it so every team has a shot. You can go 0-16 in the Big 12 and still have a chance at the dance.



  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 135,716, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    clones_jer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    IA
    Posts
    8,337
    Points
    135,716
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Re: 64 or 96 NCAA Tournament teams

    Quote Originally Posted by CardinalAndGold View Post
    Unfortunately it is looking like this might actually happen. I hate it and so do all of my friends. Who cares about picking the winner of Oral Roberts vs. San Diego State in the opening round?
    I'll bet you anything 2-3 yrs after the change it will still be the "big dance" and everybody will still love it.



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 210,403, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    16,181
    Points
    210,403
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 424
    Given: 213

    Re: 64 or 96 NCAA Tournament teams

    I'll take 96, just because I'd like to see Iowa State back in it again as soon as possible.



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 135,716, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    clones_jer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    IA
    Posts
    8,337
    Points
    135,716
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Re: 64 or 96 NCAA Tournament teams

    Quote Originally Posted by SC Cy View Post
    No, as it is now every team is in the tournament. The conference tournaments make it so every team has a shot. You can go 0-16 in the Big 12 and still have a chance at the dance.
    ok ... so every team is in the NC hunt for football too - whats your point?

    It's not a true tourney for all the teams as they are seeded by conferences and not by percieved strengh (as the 65 teams currently are).



  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 135,716, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    clones_jer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    IA
    Posts
    8,337
    Points
    135,716
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Re: 64 or 96 NCAA Tournament teams

    Quote Originally Posted by CloneIce View Post
    I'll take 96, just because I'd like to see Iowa State back in it again as soon as possible.
    96 won't get us in ... but we probably get an NIT.



  12. #12
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 57,726, Level: 74
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 824
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Clone5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    3,546
    Points
    57,726
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: 64 or 96 NCAA Tournament teams


  13. #13
    Pro
    Points: 47,393, Level: 67
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 957
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    3,493
    Points
    47,393
    Level
    67
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 2

    Re: 64 or 96 NCAA Tournament teams

    The only reason I would like it is because of mid major teams like UNI and butler (mainly UNI) that would not make the tournament if they did not win their conference tournament. Other than that the only reason I would want it to expand is more basketball.



  14. #14
    Legend
    Points: 263,000, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Cyclonestate78's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    11,433
    Points
    263,000
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 168
    Given: 559

    Re: 64 or 96 NCAA Tournament teams

    I say stick with the 65 team field. In any given year there are really only 1 or 2 teams that have a legitimate gripe as to why they were left out of the field anyway. Expanding the field to 96 will only water down the competition overall and will also give the top seeded teams a chance to rest and scout their opponents which I feel gives them an unfair advantage. Do we really want to see the power leagues getting an extra 20 at large bids so the teams in those leagues that finished in the bottom half of the standings make the tournament?

    This will also take away the relevance of strength of schedule and RPI rankings. Should Virginia Tech who had over 20 wins make the tournament with a non conference RPI in the 300's? Do they deserve to be rewarded for playing one of the weakest non conference schedules in the country? Expand the tournament and there will be no reason for power conference schools to play any non conference games against quality mid major schools or any other quality power conference schools.

    Did anyone miss watching UNC play in the NCAA tournament? They had an awful season but most certainly would have gotten a bid in an expanded field. That would have been a total disgrace.



  15. #15
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 59,308, Level: 75
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Kyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,075
    Points
    59,308
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: 64 or 96 NCAA Tournament teams

    Expanding to 96 is ridiculous. The tournament already includes every team that has a legitimate chance at winning it. Other decent teams are able to play in tournaments like the NIT. The only possible reason to expand is money, which of course means that it will probably happen.


    Seneca Wallace.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM