Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 461
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Re: Who is the best college basketball coach right now?

Quote Originally Posted by UNIGuy4Cy View Post
    Was wondering what everyone thought. If ISU offered any coach in college basketball, I would take Tom Izzo or Calipari. I think Scott Drew is the best up and comer.
    Greg McDermott

Just Win Baby
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by kucyclone View Post
    You guys will agree with me on the Pastner pick 3 years from now.
    maybe but right now all he is the recruiting flavor of the month. I actually think next year is his year to shine and then leave for a better school as he can't recruit blue chippers to Memphis long

Addict
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 2

One name I haven't seen on here yet is Jamie Dixon. He has made Pitt darn good and a Big East and national contender every year. He lost tons coming into this year and still has his team competiting for a Big East title.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 198
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 4

Izzo's wins in the tournament have been hardly impressive considering Michigan State's margins of victory.

Beat 12 New Mexico St. by 3
    Beat 4 Maryland by 1
    Beat 9 UNI by 7
    Beat 6 Tennessee by 1

Had the ball bounced the other way a couple times, Michigan State would be out of the tournament right now. They've had scares from New Mexico St. and UNI, Korie Lucious made a buzzer beater against Maryland, and Tennessee missed their buzzer beater, so right now Michigan State is very fortunate to be in the position they are right now.

Duke on the other hand is dominating their opponents. Coach K's wins have all been impressive by beating everyone by double digits except Baylor, who Duke shut down during crunch time when it counted most. Coach K definitely gets my vote for best college coach, seeing what he's done in the tournament and how fundamentally sound his teams play.

I can see why people are amazed by Izzo, he's a great coach don't get me wrong, but he has been very, very lucky.

Last edited by cyclonez7; 03-29-2010 at 09:42 PM.
    Droppin' 3's like my name is Scotty C.

Philippians 4:13

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 684
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonez7 View Post
    Izzo's wins in the tournament have been hardly impressive considering Michigan State's margins of victory.

Beat 4 Maryland by 1
    Beat 9 UNI by 7
    Beat 6 Tennessee by 1

Had the ball bounced the other way a couple times, Michigan State would be out of the tournament right now. They've had scares from New Mexico St. and UNI, Korie Lucious made a buzzer beater against Maryland, and Tennessee missed their buzzer beater, so right now Michigan State is very fortunate to be in the position they are right now.

Duke on the other hand is dominating their opponents. Coach K's wins have all been impressive by beating everyone by double digits except Baylor, who Duke shut down during crunch time when it counted most. Coach K definitely gets my vote for best college coach, seeing what he's done in the tournament and how fundamentally sound his teams play.

I can see why people are amazed by Izzo, but he has been very, very lucky.
    yeah not very impressed by Izzo either. 6 final fours and a national championship. You have to win by at least 10ppg to get credit in my book!

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    Good god, my list would be about the same as this. Don't forget that Howland, Calhoun, Pitino, and Self have won everywhere they've been, even with less talent at mid-majors. They weren't just handed their present jobs.
    See, 85', when you're not so negative, I am able to agree with you.
    I think Self might be a little too high, IMO isn't as good as Izzo, Wright, etc. X's and O's wise.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    Coach Calipari. He is a cheater but he cheats better than anyone.
    Yeah, he does well, but he usually has better players that Izzo. Izzo consistently had overachieving teams. He does it when it matters and that is in March and April.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125

Beat 4 Maryland by 1
    Beat 9 UNI by 7
    Beat 6 Tennessee by 1

I can see why people are amazed by Izzo, he's a great coach don't get me wrong, but he has been very, very lucky.
    You don't simply get lucky in college basketball.

Luck is when preparation meets opportunity.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by deadeyededric View Post
    yeah not very impressed by Izzo either. 6 final fours and a national championship. You have to win by at least 10ppg to get credit in my book!
    I sense sarcasm here. I didn't say he was not an impressive coach, I just said that Coach K was better. He's got 11 Final Fours and 3 National Titles which is definitely more impressive than what Izzo's done.

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 684
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    You don't simply get lucky in college basketball.

Luck is when preparation meets opportunity.
    Kinda like Gmac. We are never prepared, and that gives us no opportunity to win games.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Beat 4 Maryland by 1
    Beat 9 UNI by 7
    Beat 6 Tennessee by 1

Lucky this year? Maybe. Luck 6 out of 12 years? No way.

It's no coincidence that he has been so successful. Also, in any teams tournament run, any year, you have to chalk it up to a little luck. It is very rare for a team to get through the tournament without a very close game, and in any close game a bounce or call here or there makes the difference.

If anyone disagrees that Izzo is the best out there, look at the tape of the UNI game. They were held to 22 points in the first half, and they had scored 22 points in the second half about about the 12 minute mark. The guy knows basketball, and his guys play hard and execute for him.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan32 View Post
    Lucky this year? Maybe. Luck 6 out of 12 years? No way.

It's no coincidence that he has been so successful. Also, in any teams tournament run, any year, you have to chalk it up to a little luck. It is very rare for a team to get through the tournament without a very close game, and in any close game a bounce or call here or there makes the difference.

If anyone disagrees that Izzo is the best out there, look at the tape of the UNI game. They were held to 22 points in the first half, and they had scored 22 points in the second half about about the 12 minute mark. The guy knows basketball, and his guys play hard and execute for him.
    I'm just talking about this year because the title of the thread says best coach right now. Izzo definitely is one of the best, not THE best.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by kucyclone View Post
    I realize this point is moot, but if Korie Lucious misses a buzzer-beater three pointer in the second round, no one would have put Izzo in their top 5.

Regardless, 6 FFs in 12 years is incredible, absolutely phenomenal. The top 5 coaches I'd want coaching my team right now are Self, Izzo, Roy, Frank, and Pastner (and I do realize 40% of my list missed the tournament).
    Coach Pastner is going to have at op five team next year, especially if Williams comes back.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm just talking about this year because the title of the thread says best coach right now. Izzo definitely is one of the best, not THE best.
    Who is better? You have to look at the past to even make this argument relevant. Coach K has more wins and more titles, but has also coached in about twice as many games as Izzo. While other teams come and go, Michigan State is relevant every year, and is a contender every year.

Are you trying to downgrade his coaching ability, right now, because his team got lucky? I would even argue the "got lucky" point. They won some close games, that is not indicitave of luck, that is indicative of toughness.

All-Star
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 303
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

Beat 4 Maryland by 1
    Beat 9 UNI by 7
    Beat 6 Tennessee by 1

First.....I have to hand it to you.........it takes a pair for a Cyclone fan to say that about ANYONE, let alone Michigan State. And second...luck is the by product of being prepared for when an opprotunity presents itself. A good example is Izzo....a bad example is...well...you know. Good, well coached teams make their own luck. The other side of the coin talks about how much integrity they have.