Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Prospect Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Embarrassment of Riches

I think the total dominance of UConn, Stanford, et al is truly bad for the sport. Has there ever been talk of reducing the number of schollies to match the men? It seems that BF rarely has a full roster of scholarship players in a perennial top 25 program, meanwhile Geno has McD AA's riding the pine. There seems to be a lot more parity in the men's game, and that would be a good thing.

All-Star
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 518
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Re: Embarrassment of Riches

UCONN will lose eventually. I do not know much about the players on their team, but they probably have an amazing core group of girls that are driving that program. Once they graduate, they will be back to the level of other top programs (they are playing like a pro team right now).

Addict
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 1,006
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 115
    Given: 44

They had an analyst on before the game (or was it at halftime?) trying to argue that UCONN was good for the game. She said that people who don't watch WBB are tuning in to watch them. I don't know if she was towing the company line or what, but I can't see it. Who tunes in to watch a team blow everyone out by 40? I like to watch good, competitive games. The only time I actually enjoy a blowout in any sport is if ISU is doing the blowing out or if it is a team I really despise getting blown out. No way I waste my time watching any of UCONN's remaining games. I'm sure UCONN fans have a blast watching that team, but most everyone else doesn't care to see it. I'd bet that the ratings for their championship game will be pretty low.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,135
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 9

Honestly, I wouldn't even watch UCONN's games if I was a UCONN fan. Most of the time, I have to sacrifice some other social engagement in other to go to games. If I know the team will win (and win by a lot) every game, I would go to less games.

***King of Diplomacy***

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 690
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 372

Would Title IX allow that?

I don't know the answer to that question, but imagine that it would be a consideration.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 326
    Given: 135

Quote Originally Posted by fccy View Post
    Would Title IX allow that?

I don't know the answer to that question, but imagine that it would be a consideration.
    Yeah, i would think thatd be an issue.. you'd either have to add those schollys somewhere else or remove them from the mens side.

Legend
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 420
    Given: 293

Quote Originally Posted by SCNCY View Post
    UCONN will lose eventually. I do not know much about the players on their team, but they probably have an amazing core group of girls that are driving that program. Once they graduate, they will be back to the level of other top programs (they are playing like a pro team right now).
    Pretty sure I heard the announcer say, and I'd believe it, that the UConn bench would be a top 15 team. That to me does not signal a team that's going to level out with the rest of the country once the seniors graduate.

I AM SO PROUD....
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I think we need a Final Four stimulus!!

All-Star
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 518
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Quote Originally Posted by alarson View Post
    Yeah, i would think thatd be an issue.. you'd either have to add those schollys somewhere else or remove them from the mens side.
    You cannot move scholarships from one sport to another as there is a limit on all sports for the amount of scholarship players you can have.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,487
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36

Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    They had an analyst on before the game (or was it at halftime?) trying to argue that UCONN was good for the game. She said that people who don't watch WBB are tuning in to watch them. I don't know if she was towing the company line or what, but I can't see it. Who tunes in to watch a team blow everyone out by 40? I like to watch good, competitive games. The only time I actually enjoy a blowout in any sport is if ISU is doing the blowing out or if it is a team I really despise getting blown out. No way I waste my time watching any of UCONN's remaining games. I'm sure UCONN fans have a blast watching that team, but most everyone else doesn't care to see it. I'd bet that the ratings for their championship game will be pretty low.
    I know of a few people who've never watched a women's BB game tune in just to see what the fuss is all about. The didn't watch an entire game and I'm not sure if they'll watch more games, but UCONN doing what they are doing has increased exsposure.

Do you really watch a lot of non-ISU women's basketball anyway?

All-Star
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 633
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 7

I think you'd find that any coach that doesn't have a perenial top 10 team would tell you that reducing the number of scholarships would improve the parity in wbb, and they would be supportive of it. That's why you see the excitement of the men's tourney eclipse that of the women's tourney. The limit of scholarships is an NCAA rule subject to there change at any time. Title IX would not prohibit them from doing it but what it would likely do is have ramifications on the comparator sports, thus causing the elimination of scholarship opportunities on the men's side, not necessarily driven by a reduction in the allowable scholarships by the NCAA but by schools scrambling to be Title IX compliant. Alternatively some schools would be able to add scholarships to other sports that aren't fully funded with the maximum allotment of scholarships.

"95% of all quotes posted on Facebook are either made up or mistakenly attributed to someone famous." - Albert Einstien

All-Star
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 277
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 6

It may be good for the game from the standpoint of drawing attention to it, long term domination will not be good. Sure the east coast media loves it. Its like having the Yankees and Red Sox in another sport. All the best players end up with one or two teams (UConn and Stanford) in WBB right now.

Now it there's a strong chance that two of the best players to ever come out of Iowa join this insanity. While competitors want to win, I would hope they would like competitive games. These two teams just line up their McDAA's all along the bench. Just give BF a couple of them like Stokes and Greenfield and watch this program become one of the elite. So do the local girls want to be competitors that make their own program, or do they just want to follow along and maintain a very boring kind of women's basketball? But hey, they get to win for sure.

All-Star
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 891
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 21

A lot of players want the instant gratification of a national championship, or final four and will give up playing for telling people "I was on a national championship team in 20xx." Many of the bench players for UCONN play very little, it may be they didn't pan out when they got to campus, or better players come along after they were recruited. As I player, I would want to go somewhere and get the chance to play in a game vs. being on the scout team in practice.

Addict
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 126

Quote Originally Posted by Royalclone View Post

Now it there's a strong chance that two of the best players to ever come out of Iowa join this insanity. While competitors want to win, I would hope they would like competitive games. These two teams just line up their McDAA's all along the bench. Just give BF a couple of them like Stokes and Greenfield and watch this program become one of the elite.
    UConn has offered a schollie to Greenfield? Where did you hear this?

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 88
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 59
    Given: 63

You can also argue that these McD AAs actually want to compete instead of just riding on a bench. You can choose whether you want to be a big fish in a small pond or try to move to the bigger pond and see whether they can still be a big fish.

Plus, Stanford and UConn are good schools, especially Stanford. You have to fight hard to compete with the prestige and location.