Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 0

Thompson vs. CJ, I Don't Get It

As a sophomore at Iowa, Thompson shot 31% from the field, 33% from the line and averaged 2.0 points.
    As a freshman at ISU, Cory Johnson shot 53% from the field, 62% from the line and averaged 4.2 points.
    Yet some people seem to think that Thompson is a sure bet as a starter next year and GMac is supposed to run CJ off because he isn't a Big 12 caliber player. Like I said, I don't get it.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 265
    Given: 37

Re: Thompson vs. CJ, I Don't Get It

it is a what have you done lately world...No one can remember how AT did his first year at Iowa. All anyone remembers from him is that one game winner.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

All-Star
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 401
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 1

Alex Thompson hit a game winner??? I think Alex has to be the 8th or 9th guy off the bench, no way he gets more than 15 minutes a game. If he does, I wouldn't blame CJ if he transferred

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 618
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 52

Quote Originally Posted by CyCy View Post
    As a sophomore at Iowa, Thompson shot 31% from the field, 33% from the line and averaged 2.0 points.
    As a freshman at ISU, Cory Johnson shot 53% from the field, 62% from the line and averaged 4.2 points.
    Yet some people seem to think that Thompson is a sure bet as a starter next year and GMac is supposed to run CJ off because he isn't a Big 12 caliber player. Like I said, I don't get it.
    Don't try to understand some people, they really don't have a lot of basketball knowledge. CJ is good player and and an asset to have on our team. He was only a freshman last year. Not that Hubalek is a great comparison, but CJ will be better than Jiri some day.

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,098
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 1

I don't think anybody wants Cory Johnson run off of the team, and obviously Thompson will have to prove he is worth all of the hype he is getting...but one thing to remember about his stats at Iowa, is that Alford was using him at the three, which is not his normal position...he is much more comfortable at the four...and McDermott has been saying that he was our most consistent post player last year in practice....obviously he'll have to do the same when it counts now, but I can about guarantee you he'll get more than 15-20 minutes a game.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 349

The A Train will disprove the doubting Thomases by next dec. No, he will shooty better than 33% at free throw line. He will bang on bodies. He is quicker than Ross. No, he is not Superman. He is more like the fourth option.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    Don't try to understand some people, they really don't have a lot of basketball knowledge. CJ is good player and and an asset to have on our team. He was only a freshman last year. Not that Hubalek is a great comparison, but CJ will be better than Jiri some day.
    I just want to know how he compares to the "almighty" Grant Stout. That seems to be the benchmark many on this site have for an excellent inside player.

You are right about one thing...a lot of people on this site don't have a lot of basketball knowledge.

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 576
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyCy View Post
    I agree with you completely. Here is another comparison someone made on this board around this time last year:
    • As a freshman, Ross Marsden played 23 minutes/game, shot 53% from the field and 54% from the line, averaged 2.7 points and pulled down 2.7 rebounds/game.
    • As a sophomore, Jiri Hubalek played 20 minutes/game, shot 52% from the field and 73% from the line, averaged 8.6 points and pulled down 3.9 rebounds/game.
    Yet it seemed like 8 out of 10 fans on here preferred Marsden over Hubalek going into the 06-07 season. This despite the fact that Hubalek contributed far more with less playing time.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 750
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 72

CJ is sort of in the middle: not big enough to play the post, a little slow for a swing forward, not really a power forward either. I am sure GMac will find a place for him. I really think CJ should have been on a RS this year, but with the short numbers Gmac had to work with he had little choice.

Also, I have not seen a lot of guys giving huge praise to AT. GMac did say he was the teams most consistant post player, but the other guys that did play were not that impressive.

Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

AT is not as bad as some think...who really cares about one's stats.. I will guarentee that Thompson will be better than Ross Marsden, Jessan Gray, Paul Shirley, etc..just to name a few...

AT will have to prove himself and I think C. Johnson is good, but i don't know why so many down Thompson, he is a better than most think.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The biggest difference between AT and CJ is size right now. AT has the size to play post in the Big XII and CJ doesn't. Not to say that he won't at some point, but as far as next season goes we will see way more of AT than CJ.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 461
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by clone205 View Post
    AT is not as bad as some think...who really cares about one's stats.. I will guarentee that Thompson will be better than Ross Marsden, Jessan Gray, Paul Shirley, etc..just to name a few...

AT will have to prove himself and I think C. Johnson is good, but i don't know why so many down Thompson, he is a better than most think.
    comparing Paul Shirley to Thompson, Marsden, and Gray is idiotic! Paul played in the NBA and has 2 Big 12 titles by his name. If AT is going to be better than Shirley was then your saying that he'll get a taste in the NBA? I doubt it!

Last edited by lomashad; 04-15-2007 at 07:57 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,310
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 155

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    The biggest difference between AT and CJ is size right now. AT has the size to play post in the Big XII and CJ doesn't. Not to say that he won't at some point, but as far as next season goes we will see way more of AT than CJ.
    I remember CJ playing great defense against a certain 7 foot/40 year old freshman this last year. He can really score around the basket as well. I dont think size really matters in college basketball. I just dont think he really had much of a chance. He was one of our last scoring options. And if he made a stupid frosh mistake on D, he was pulled immediately.
    Anyone remember Kenny Pratt? He was a 6'3" PF. And he played pretty well for us. To quote some under endowed men, "its not the size... its what you do with it" He just needs more experience and playing time.

#BEATIOWA

Starter
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 412
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone#1 View Post
    I just want to know how he compares to the "almighty" Grant Stout. That seems to be the benchmark many on this site have for an excellent inside player.

You are right about one thing...a lot of people on this site don't have a lot of basketball knowledge.
    It could be argued that one of those without a lot of basketball knowledge is cyclone#1. He seems to let his negative attitude interfere with his judgment.

Rookie Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Thompson might not have the stats, but when I hear from someone who works with the team that he is one of the hardest working guys out there and doesn't even know if he is going to be on scholarship it takes away the doubt, he might not be great but at least he is working his butt off to be better, Cory Johnson will be a great player because he has the attitude he just needs to find a spot, Thompson might play more than him next year, but Cory will see his time and might end up being the best out of Thompson, Hubalek and him.

Big Shawn, Super Clone!