Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 240
    Given: 0

Unbelieveable

I'm shocked at the number of people coming on here and saying that Vette is not a high major player. I don't know if you guys realized this, but the front of our jersey's still say Iowa State. That's not to knock us, but we've had a lot of success with players like Vette. What's the difference in him as a prospect and Paul Shirley or Jared Homan? From all accounts he's already more polished offensivly than either of those two at this point in his career and he's a LOT heavier than they were at this point. Havne't you guys seen the photo of him dunking? He is freaking jacked!

Not every player we are going to sign is going to be heralded like Brackins. We need some bangers and grinders and hard working salt of the earth Iowans as well. I am pumped up over the signing of Vette. He steps on campus next year as the heaviest player on the team (245) and a proven winner and the first Iowa Mr. Basketball we've signed since Hoiberg. Plus it's important to get these guys because it causes people from around the state to lift their eyes up and take a look at the program that might not have.

A lot of people are also saying he's a "Grant Stout" type player like we're above that. I posted this in another thread but here are Stout's #'s against BCS schools the last 2 years:

ISU 7-15 17 pts 10 rebs
    Iowa 3-9 8 pts 10 rebs
    Washington 7-15 17 pts 10 rebs

ISU 4-6 10 pts 5 rebs
    Iowa 5-11 11 pts 9 rebs
    LSU (Big baby and tyrus thomas) 9-13 18 pts 9 rebs
    Georgetown (Height is never an advantage against Hibbert) 1-8 5 pts 8 rebs

So basically he's had 1 bad game in 7 (where he still got 8 rebs) against major conference opponents the last two years. In those two years he's shot 47.2% from the floor in those games and has averaged 11.57 pts and 8.28 rebounds which would have led our team this year.

I would hope that Clayton could match that because then he would have better numbers than Shirley or Homan ever had over the course of a year. We don't know what this kid can do yet on the basketball court but we've seen McD do great things with local Iowa talent? Why wouldn't he be able to mold a kid who's already physically mature enough to play in the Big 12? Honestly, coach is the guy making the big bucks for a reason. Vette is one of our own. I'm not saying you have to think he's going to be a first team all conference player, but not everybody you sign is going to do that. At the LEAST he can be a productive rebounding banger. We always need guys like that, especially from our home state.

Rant over.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 267
    Given: 809

Re: Unbelieveable

I'm with ya, I can't wait to see how good this guy can't get in a short time.... well I should say how much better. I'm very excited that we signed him and look forward to watching him become a force in the BigXII.

Addict
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 402
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 333
    Given: 221

Great pick up, you won't here anything bad about him from me, at least not before he's even played a game for ISU...anyone can guess who he is gonna be like...he could be jared homan or paul shirley or grant stout or he could be shawn taggert. OR he could just be Clayton Vette and we will be comparing recruits to him in 5-6 years. thing is:no one knows for sure.

What we do know is he is Mr. Basketball is the state of iowa, which has gotta count for something, and last time Mr. Basketball in iowa went to ISU - IT WORKED OUT PRETTY DARN WELL (hint: it was Fred Hoiberg)

Starter
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 96
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

Right on Bryce! I'd like to add my rant also. What do Grant Stout, Jared Homan and Greg Brunner have in common? They were all white guys, front court players from Iowa who were not highly regarded as HS seniors. And they all had successful careers. Add Loren Meyer, Jess Settles, and Paul Shirley to the mix. Only Meyer was consider top 100 talent, but they all had that midwestern work ethic. Clayton Vette will fit right in with these guys, and we will all be happy in 4 years.

Pro
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 64

Ditto to all of this!

All-Star
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 207
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I completely agree. ISU success starts with signing the best from the state of Iowa. Mission accomplished this year.

Pro Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I haven't seen a guy with that much muscle since Fizer and Horton.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I will trust McDermott's judgment at this point.

However, I think we all need to remember that a guy signing with us is going to have to play against more than 7 BCS schools in two years. I'm not certain why so many on this site are "in love" with the Stout kid but I don't believe we should be using UNI as a standard to compare our players to...we need to match up against Kansas and Texas...not UNI.

As for the Mr. Basketball tag...that worked out great for us with Hoiberg. Not so much with Johnson and Bergman (our two other Iowa Mr. Basketball signees from the past). Hopefully, this guy will produce more like Hoiberg at ISU.

Personally, I don't think we will have trouble recruiting the best Iowa kids to ISU with our program and our coach (Iowa boy himself). The only question is whether or not Iowa's top players can help us be a competitive Big 12 team.

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Walk On
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Paul shirly is not from Iowa but Kansas, if I remember correctly.

The last Iowan on team, is Marden.

Both Homan and Marden were 3 star recuits while Vette is only 2 star.

Of course you can argue that Wesley Johnson was a two star too.

I am not saying Vette is a bad pick. Maybe he will be a contributor. But if we bank the schooly for 2008 0r 2009, maybe we can catch a bigger player, a player who has better chance of being a good contributor.

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    I'm shocked at the number of people coming on here and saying that Vette is not a high major player. I don't know if you guys realized this, but the front of our jersey's still say Iowa State. That's not to knock us, but we've had a lot of success with players like Vette. What's the difference in him as a prospect and Paul Shirley or Jared Homan? From all accounts he's already more polished offensivly than either of those two at this point in his career and he's a LOT heavier than they were at this point. Havne't you guys seen the photo of him dunking? He is freaking jacked!

Not every player we are going to sign is going to be heralded like Brackins. We need some bangers and grinders and hard working salt of the earth Iowans as well. I am pumped up over the signing of Vette. He steps on campus next year as the heaviest player on the team (245) and a proven winner and the first Iowa Mr. Basketball we've signed since Hoiberg. Plus it's important to get these guys because it causes people from around the state to lift their eyes up and take a look at the program that might not have.

A lot of people are also saying he's a "Grant Stout" type player like we're above that. I posted this in another thread but here are Stout's #'s against BCS schools the last 2 years:

ISU 7-15 17 pts 10 rebs
    Iowa 3-9 8 pts 10 rebs

ISU 4-6 10 pts 5 rebs
    Iowa 5-11 11 pts 9 rebs

So basically he's had 1 bad game in 7 (where he still got 8 rebs) against major conference opponents the last two years. In those two years he's shot 47.2% from the floor in those games and has averaged 11.57 pts and 8.28 rebounds which would have led our team this year.

I would hope that Clayton could match that because then he would have better numbers than Shirley or Homan ever had over the course of a year. We don't know what this kid can do yet on the basketball court but we've seen McD do great things with local Iowa talent? Why wouldn't he be able to mold a kid who's already physically mature enough to play in the Big 12? Honestly, coach is the guy making the big bucks for a reason. Vette is one of our own. I'm not saying you have to think he's going to be a first team all conference player, but not everybody you sign is going to do that. At the LEAST he can be a productive rebounding banger. We always need guys like that, especially from our home state.

Rant over.

Chile Mac is on vacation.
    Overall activity: 62.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 834
    Given: 2,100

If he can provide 5 points and 5 rebounds a game, that would be a great pickup. I don't think we signed a McDonald's All-American or anything, but we clearly could use a guy like this. And honestly, we should be in a position (we are not yet), where we don't have to see Freshman as "saviors," but as talent that can grow and learn. I don't really think it is great for our program if we always have 4 year starters. Young guys can learn from older guys and you keep reloading.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,100
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124
    Given: 28

It's really hard to justify this as a bad pickup, but I wouldn't call it a class-defining pickup, either. He's big, he's strong, and he's got some athleticism. He's got a great opportunity to develop into a solid contributor and possibly a future starter a la Homan.

Shed the pessimism, folks. McDermott is on the right track.

Rookie Achievements:

Thumbs Up

ISU 7-15 17 pts 10 rebs
    Iowa 3-9 8 pts 10 rebs

ISU 4-6 10 pts 5 rebs
    Iowa 5-11 11 pts 9 rebs

Rant over.
    Are what Grant Stout did against Iowa State and Iowa last year meaningful at all? Why do you think he is so much better than Shirley offensively in high school? Have you ever seen his high school stats? They were off the charts ridiculous and WAY better than Vettes. Homan was a better defensive player than offensive, and our all time leader in blocked shots. Your last paragraph comparing Vette to Homan using Grant Stout's stats against BCS conferences is a lot more shocking and flawed than any post I have read on Vette.

Personally, I think Vette is an ok signing and am glad we got him. But the concerns that some of the other posters have brought up are valid, and were obviously shared by most D1 coaches. Why is this so unbeleivable?

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 240

Hey, I said it was a rant, some stuff is bound to be rambling and disjointed.

Homan is our all time blocks leader, and I'm sure Shirley had amazing high school stats. Where I meant to go with that was that it took them a while to develop physically and Clayton is already there. Homan didn't get over 240 until his senior year and Shirley never weighed that much in college.

I have great faith in McD's ability to coach up big men and Vette obviously can move fairly well and had some athleticism as well. Shirley never averaged over 10 and 7 in his entire career. I guess I just just a little miffed because I don't see how people can think this guy is incapable of matching that sort of output.

I could be totally wrong and that's fine if I am. I'm a Cyclone fan, and I'm excited about the kid. I doubt McDermott signed the kid if he thought he couldn't be competetive at this level.

And as for the other D1 coaches, why was he contacted by Purdue as well when he was granted release? Painter has no problem recruiting quality players. Something to think about.

Rookie Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Hey, I said it was a rant, some stuff is bound to be rambling and disjointed.

Homan is our all time blocks leader, and I'm sure Shirley had amazing high school stats. Where I meant to go with that was that it took them a while to develop physically and Clayton is already there. Homan didn't get over 240 until his senior year and Shirley never weighed that much in college.

I have great faith in McD's ability to coach up big men and Vette obviously can move fairly well and had some athleticism as well. Shirley never averaged over 10 and 7 in his entire career. I guess I just just a little miffed because I don't see how people can think this guy is incapable of matching that sort of output.

I could be totally wrong and that's fine if I am. I'm a Cyclone fan, and I'm excited about the kid. I doubt McDermott signed the kid if he thought he couldn't be competetive at this level.

And as for the other D1 coaches, why was he contacted by Purdue as well when he was granted release? Painter has no problem recruiting quality players. Something to think about.

You do make a good point, he is very mature physically for a high school player. I think some posters would just rather see McDermott turn someone like Nweke into Horace Grant than Vette into Grant Stout. But you're right, there is nothing wrong with a Jared Homan type player, lets hope C Vet can live up to those high standards.

Pro Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by chengyushen View Post
    Paul shirly is not from Iowa but Kansas, if I remember correctly.

The last Iowan on team, is Marden.

Both Homan and Marden were 3 star recuits while Vette is only 2 star.

Of course you can argue that Wesley Johnson was a two star too.

I am not saying Vette is a bad pick. Maybe he will be a contributor. But if we bank the schooly for 2008 0r 2009, maybe we can catch a bigger player, a player who has better chance of being a good contributor.
    Bigger than 6'9" ad 245? I bet Vette will prove everyone wrong and be a solid player for ISU.