Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23
  1. #1
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 56,516, Level: 73
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 534
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CyCloned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Robins, Iowa
    Posts
    4,563
    Points
    56,516
    Level
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 72

    does this Vette thing seem a little contrived to anyone?

    Maybe I am just too much of a conspiracy theorist, but a whole lot of stuff happened in a very short time with the MBB team. One big guy quits the team to concentrate on school, a couple days later a big guy that GMac had previously recruited becomes available, says he would like to look at ISU and boom he signs. I have been an ISU fan for a long time, and things like this don't happen to ISU.

    I am glad he is going to be a Clone. He has a very physical look to him and the Cyclones never looked like they played physical all last year.



  2. #2
    CF Founder
    Points: 240,685, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Jeremy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Urbandale, IA
    Posts
    13,232
    Points
    240,685
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 323
    Given: 165

    Re: does this Vette thing seem a little contrived to anyone?

    I think for once we were just on the good end of luck. I really think Vette is going to come around and be a key player in our rebuilding and it's an added bonus that he's a native Iowan.


    A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 143,526, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    CrossCyed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    9,384
    Points
    143,526
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 0

    Re: does this Vette thing seem a little contrived to anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    I think for once we were just on the good end of luck. I really think Vette is going to come around and be a key player in our rebuilding and it's an added bonus that he's a native Iowan.
    To be fair, I've yet to see you come out and say one of our recruits is gonna suck the big one.



  4. #4
    CF Founder
    Points: 240,685, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Jeremy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Urbandale, IA
    Posts
    13,232
    Points
    240,685
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 323
    Given: 165

    Re: does this Vette thing seem a little contrived to anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by CrossCyed View Post
    To be fair, I've yet to see you come out and say one of our recruits is gonna suck the big one.
    I think Taggart is really going to dissapoint us.... err I mean... Hmmm

    I drink the Kool-Aid a little too quickly when it comes to ISU MBB but that's just because I really have complete faith in our staff and couldn't be any more happy with the way things look a few years down the road.


    A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

  5. #5
    Walk On
    Points: 8,704, Level: 27
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    183
    Points
    8,704
    Level
    27
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: does this Vette thing seem a little contrived to anyone?

    Before I can be as optimistic as you, GMac still need to show us he can compete (means compete for title) in big 12. remember not every successful mid major coach can continue their success in high majors. Think of Collier of nebraska, Manon at Minny.... Jury is still out..........

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    I think Taggart is really going to dissapoint us.... err I mean... Hmmm

    I drink the Kool-Aid a little too quickly when it comes to ISU MBB but that's just because I really have complete faith in our staff and couldn't be any more happy with the way things look a few years down the road.



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 86,763, Level: 91
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 687
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hudson, Iowa
    Posts
    8,107
    Points
    86,763
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 49

    Re: does this Vette thing seem a little contrived to anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by chengyushen View Post
    Before I can be as optimistic as you, GMac still need to show us he can compete (means compete for title) in big 12. remember not every successful mid major coach can continue their success in high majors. Think of Collier of nebraska, Manon at Minny.... Jury is still out..........
    Perhaps, but even the great Johnny Orr from the "Big 10" never had much luck doing that. And remember most great coaches started as assistants or were in in Mid-Major conferences first.



  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 729,991, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    47,458
    Points
    729,991
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,294
    Given: 635

    Re: does this Vette thing seem a little contrived to anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by CyCloned View Post
    Maybe I am just too much of a conspiracy theorist, but a whole lot of stuff happened in a very short time with the MBB team. One big guy quits the team to concentrate on school, a couple days later a big guy that GMac had previously recruited becomes available, says he would like to look at ISU and boom he signs. I have been an ISU fan for a long time, and things like this don't happen to ISU.

    I am glad he is going to be a Clone. He has a very physical look to him and the Cyclones never looked like they played physical all last year.
    I think that it is the coaches job to keep in touch with what his players are thinking, so I think it is very probably that McDermott knew very well that this was coming, and probably kept recruiting with that in mind. I'm very excited to hear that he is coming on board. It's also great to keep Iowa's own out of the Missouri Valley. The names Korver and Funk come to mind.



  8. #8
    Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    29
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: does this Vette thing seem a little contrived to anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    I think that it is the coaches job to keep in touch with what his players are thinking, so I think it is very probably that McDermott knew very well that this was coming, and probably kept recruiting with that in mind. I'm very excited to hear that he is coming on board. It's also great to keep Iowa's own out of the Missouri Valley. The names Korver and Funk come to mind.
    Don't forget Jacobson.



  9. #9
    Starter Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    9seven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Indianola/Boone
    Posts
    722
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: does this Vette thing seem a little contrived to anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    I think that it is the coaches job to keep in touch with what his players are thinking, so I think it is very probably that McDermott knew very well that this was coming, and probably kept recruiting with that in mind. I'm very excited to hear that he is coming on board. It's also great to keep Iowa's own out of the Missouri Valley. The names Korver and Funk come to mind.
    If he did keep recruitng while people specualted that Vette would ask for a leave from his schoolly, then he committed a recruiting violation... So I hope he wasn't doing that...



  10. #10
    Starter
    Points: 16,038, Level: 38
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 412
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Waukon, Iowa
    Posts
    681
    Points
    16,038
    Level
    38
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 0

    Re: does this Vette thing seem a little contrived to anyone?

    Let's quit looking for dirt, and examine what really happened. Marsden announced his intent to retire on Tuesday. Vette was signed recruit with Indiana State and untouchable until Wed. when he announced his intentions, and recieved his release which was Thursday. McDermott had recruited Vette at UNI, Vette stated publicly that he really liked GMcD, and thought his system fit well with Vette's game. Vette and his parents took an unofficial visit to Ames, and everybody liked what they saw. Vette's HS coach was an assistant at ISU and was a factor in the final outcome. I see nothing illegal or unethical in anything connected with this process. McDermott did not run Marsden off, nor did he contact Vette until he was released from his original LOI.



  11. #11
    Starter
    Points: 16,038, Level: 38
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 412
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Waukon, Iowa
    Posts
    681
    Points
    16,038
    Level
    38
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 0

    Re: does this Vette thing seem a little contrived to anyone?

    DesMoinesRegister.com
    Here's the story on Vette from the Register. Pay attention to the comments. If your reading comprehension level is beyond 5th grade, this should put your contrived, conspiracy theories to rest forever.



  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 30,435, Level: 53
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 415
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    tube1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,017
    Points
    30,435
    Level
    53
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 12

    Re: does this Vette thing seem a little contrived to anyone?

    I hope he works out. But this was a guy that committed to one of the bottom-feeder MVC programs. Now he is a Big XII player? Either this is a very strange turn of events or the MVC is more powerful than I would have ever given it credit for.



  13. #13
    Starter
    Points: 16,904, Level: 39
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 346
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    646
    Points
    16,904
    Level
    39
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: does this Vette thing seem a little contrived to anyone?

    I've not seen Vette play. I did speak to someone who has watched him and indicated that Vette is a good player, but slow. If he's a good player and we can count on him improving each year, I have no problem. I trust Gmac understands this is the big time now, not UNI, and we need big time NCAA tourney talent. Obviously, last years team had numerous players that were not. Gmac is a smart coach. I hope he understands the type of player that is needed.



  14. #14
    Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    114
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: does this Vette thing seem a little contrived to anyone?

    Here's an opinion on the Vette situation from a sports writer who covers Indiana State.



  15. #15
    Facebook Knows All
    Points: 276,917, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cycloneworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NE Oklahoma
    Posts
    16,375
    Points
    276,917
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 361
    Given: 151

    Re: does this Vette thing seem a little contrived to anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by pcyclonatrist View Post
    Here's an opinion on the Vette situation from a sports writer who covers Indiana State.
    Thanks for that article.

    Damn its hard to read an article about Indiana State (ISU) because I kept confusing their ISU to our ISU...



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FOX
  • Iowa State vs. Baylor
  • September 27, 2014
  • 07:20 PM