Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Suggestions on a New Laptop??

Hey Guys,

My current laptop (Compaq Presario) gave me the ol' blue screen of death routine. The Iowa State IT people couldn't fix it and the Geek Squad wanted an arm and a leg to fix it, so I guess it's time for a new machine.

Here's what I do with my computer. I do some video editing, and movie making. Some photo editing and a very small amount of graphic design stuff. I have a ton of music and I want something that is somewhat based on multimedia prinicples. Other than that, just the usual jargon, email, cyclonefanatic, etc.

I have scanned some of the consumer report sites and have heard good things about the new VAIO and the Dell Studio XPS 16 (which may be more than I need). I'm a PC man so far, so Macs are really foreign territory for me.

Anyone have some good advice or recommendations? Thanks in advance!!!

"I loved it dearly for the experiences, for the people. I've never seen people embrace you with love as much as they did when I was in college," he said. "They just opened up their arms. I'm proud to be a Cyclone. They gave me a chance when nobody else would." -Ellis Hobbs III

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 528
    Given: 1,104

Re: Suggestions on a New Laptop??

Check out the dell outlet. I got a really good deal on a scratch and dent xps 13. They have all sorts of stuff. Early in the week is usually the best time as far as selection goes.

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 2

Unless you are wanting something top of the line, if you spend much more than $600, you are probably overpaying. Unless it comes with a bunch of software or something.

Check out Slickdeals.net: The best coupons, deals and bargains to save you money!, they seem to have one or two good laptop deals found per day.

st8

forget the laptop. save your money and get a tomagotchi !

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 397
    Given: 191

Give these a look:

Toshiba - Satellite Laptop with Intel® Core™ i7 Processor - Quantum Black - A505-S6033

Sony - VAIO Laptop with Intel® Core™ i7 Processor - Black - VPCF115FM/B

Commons:

Quad-core Intel processor (i7-720QM) Second highest model of mobile processor by Intel currently.
    500GB Hard drives
    Windows 7 H.P.

Main differences:

Toshiba - $899 / 4GB Ram / 512MB dedicated video / 16" screen
    Sony - $1349 / 6GB Ram / 1GB dedicated video / 16.4" screen with higher resolution / Blu-ray

I just ordered the Toshiba today for work. It is being sold below cost according to Best Buy for Business. The Sony may have some perks for your video stuff (video/resolution/Blu-ray).

Last edited by ISUAgronomist; 03-25-2010 at 12:36 AM.

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 638

I recently bought this one, or one very similar to it, and I love it.

Asus K61IC-X3 Notebook PC - Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.20GHz, 4GB DDR2, 320GB HDD, Blu-Ray/DVDRW, 16" Display, Windows 7 Home Premium, Black at TigerDirect.com

Blu-ray, 1 GB vid card, 4gb Ram, windows 7.

"Dog Eat Dog"
    Read the news
    Someone win,
    Someone lose

Pro
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 710
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 251
    Given: 86

Whatever you do, do not get an HP they are garbage my brother, dad, and I have all been through one each in less than a year.

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by IowaStateClones View Post
    Whatever you do, do not get an HP they are garbage my brother, dad, and I have all been through one each in less than a year.
    I'm on my HP Pavilion that hasn't had any major software issues in 3.5 years. It's been acting fishy (very slow) every once in a while lately, but I can do a "system restore" and it fixes the problem. I have had to replace the battery and AC cord, but it seems like everyone has problems with batteries. My hinges have started to come apart and the plastic is starting to crack.

But for a 3.5 year old laptop, it's been pretty darn good.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 280
    Given: 32

I'm posting this from an HP as we speak. I've had two good laptops in a Toshiba and HP.

Pro
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 392
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 16

There's a really nice deal on http://www.woot.com if you catch it in the next 21 hours. I just got a new dell a couple weeks ago; I'd have bought this if I had waited.

Gateway NV5378u Athlon II X2 2Ghz 4GB DDR2 500GB SATA 15.6” LCD DVD Dual Layer Burner Win7 Home Prem - $435 shipped

Last edited by kucyclone; 03-25-2010 at 03:40 AM.

Legend
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 438
    Given: 646

I would second the person who recommended the Asus. I would also agree with the person who recommended not spending over $600. About 2 years ago my sister bought a $1,200 dell and I bought a $400 dell and today they both seem a little outdated but we both can do similar things on the laptops. Just make sure to upgrade the battery.

Addict
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 898
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by kucyclone View Post
    There's a really nice deal on Woot : One Day, One Deal (SM) if you catch it in the next 21 hours. I just got a new dell a couple weeks ago; I'd have bought this if I had waited.

Gateway NV5378u Athlon II X2 2Ghz 4GB DDR2 500GB SATA 15.6” LCD DVD Dual Layer Burner Win7 Home Prem - $435 shipped
    That computer is refurbished just as a fyi.

The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

This is a good deal from dell for $569 should be able to handle the tasks you mentioned just fine. You may want to add in a video card to the system though. On their other systems it is $100 more. It is not a option on this one though, but if you call in you may be able to add it still.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,331
    Given: 932

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    I'm posting this from an HP as we speak. I've had two good laptops in a Toshiba and HP.
    The biggest issue with HP lately is actually the same issue that every computer manufacturer - including Apple - has had to deal with - overheating NVIDIA GPUs. While the NVIDIA graphics are very good, as a result they run excessively hot - in excess of 100 °C (which as we all know is the boiling point of water). Since everyone now uses environmentally-safe solder for computer components, which isn't nearly as durable as the traditional lead-based solder, particularly in heating and cooling cycles, over a period of 14-18 months the solder fatigues, weakens, and the GPU ever so slightly separates from the motherboard and you have graphics failure. I know this because this happened to my HP laptop, but with a little bit of internet research, every manufacture that has used NVIDIA GPUs, particularly the GeForce 8x000m and 9x000m series, has had graphic failure issues.

The difference is in how the various manufacturers have handled this industry-wide problem. As far as I know, HP is the only manufacturer that has gone out of their way to blame the problem on as many customers as possible so they can extend as few warranties as possible to save themselves a few bucks (all you have to do is an Google search on HP NVIDIA 8600m overheating to get the gist of it). They have extended the warranty on some of their laptops, but mine wasn't one of those that fell into that category for two reasons that they claim - mine was a custom-built machine (which is a BS excuse in my opinion because HP was the one that custom-built it), and the "shipment" to HP that my NVIDIA chip was included with, according to NVIDIA, is not affected by the defect (which me having to operate my laptop in Standard VGA mode with NVIDIA drivers uninstalled just to use it would say that particular argument is full of **** as well).

Here's the thing with HP - you're going to get the lowest price on some very powerful mid-market components - for instance, on Amazon, you can find an HP Pavilion DV7 17.3-inch laptop with an 2.40 GHz AMD Turion Dual Core processor, 64-bit Windows 7, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HD, ATI Mobility Radeon GPU with 512 MB dedicated/2302 MB shared graphics memory for as low as $849.99.

Amazon.com: HP Pavilion DV7-3060US 17.3-Inch Espresso Laptop - Up to 4.5 Hours of Battery Life (Windows 7 Home Premium): Computer & Accessories

In the past I have not been able to find another computer with these kinds of specs at this low of a price. Even now it's still difficult. But, if you decide to go with an HP, keep two things in mind - while their laptops have more advanced specs at lower prices than their competitors, they have a history of quality control issues, and their customer service is very lousy while the computer is still under warranty and practically non-existent after the warranty has expired - in fact, all their customer service reps are really trained to do is spit back corporate policy about why they can't do anything about your computer woes and to sell those looking for solutions extended warranties.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 878
    Given: 610

Quote Originally Posted by cstrunk View Post
    I'm on my HP Pavilion that hasn't had any major software issues in 3.5 years. It's been acting fishy (very slow) every once in a while lately, but I can do a "system restore" and it fixes the problem. I have had to replace the battery and AC cord, but it seems like everyone has problems with batteries. My hinges have started to come apart and the plastic is starting to crack.

But for a 3.5 year old laptop, it's been pretty darn good.
    Sure you do not have a virus slowing it down?

LAPTOPS
    Laptops choices include Sony, Toshiba, Dell, HP, etc. From what I can tell the best deals for current laptops are to buy direct from the manufacturer versus buying from Egghead, Tiger Direct or Best Buy (which have older models that need to be sold). Howeevr, if you want cheap, then just buy outdated laptops from them. Buy an extra battery.

DESKTOPS:
    Seems like HP, Dell and Gateway are the biggest builders. Asus is crowding into the market. To me for laptops, HP allowed more custom building than the other companies. It also turned out with a company discount the higher end machines were $100 cheaper at HP than Gateway which was $100 cheaper than Dell. I did not see much in the Asus website of interets. Asus has a push on in Best Buy with computers as they use to be just a motherboard maker.

Last edited by Wesley; 03-25-2010 at 10:39 AM.
    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 11

Just bite the bullet and get the Mac. If you have any decent computer experience at all, you will master it in no time. Sure, you will pay some extra $, but it is worth it for what your described needs.