Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 399
    Given: 458

For all you young people who don't

know what Hilton Magic actually is. You saw it last night if you watched the womens game. I don't watch women basketball. However last night I turned it on to watch. We were down 8 and the crowd started to fired up. Nobody in the stands was jumping up and down yelling OHHHHH. It was just the fans who knew our team needed a lift. So we hit 2 three pointers in a row and cut it to 2 points. I looked at my wife and told her there was no way this team was beating us. Hilton has the old feeling of the crowd not allowing our team to lose. Even when they had the ball with 16 seconds left I knew they had no chance. Crowd would not allow it. Just a loud crowd with no forced cheers. That was the Magic I remember growing up. No organized cheers. Just our band playing our fight song. The team beleiving. The crowd not allowing us to lose. That was Hilton Magic last night folks. You may have forgot what it was like. I don't. I knew we would win when I heard the crowd respond when it was time.

Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

All-Star
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 544
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: For all you young people who don't

That was cool. Good to see for those of us who remember Hilton Magic, but just barely.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 556
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 189
    Given: 336

It could have really been loud if we didn't have the 830 start, it was pretty good for the 7000 that were there.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 631
    Given: 428

Quote Originally Posted by 2020cy View Post
    It could have really been loud if we didn't have the 830 start, it was pretty good for the 7000 that were there.
    Yea, I thought that start time was ridiculous. Of course I was anticipating having to deal with my fiancee totalling her car yesterday, so it kind of worked out for me having it later.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 320
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Amen brother. I remember it well. The court shakes when the crowd gets really loud. It gives you chills to be there. Last night was a classic to be remembered and our fans willed us there. It's not a random coincidence that Green Bay turned the ball over at key moments when they couldn't hear which offensive set to run.

Pro
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 912
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 4

The magic will never die. It may go into hibernation at times due to the recent play of the mens team but it will never die.

Addict
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 11

Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    know what Hilton Magic actually is. You saw it last night if you watched the womens game. I don't watch women basketball. However last night I turned it on to watch. We were down 8 and the crowd started to fired up. Nobody in the stands was jumping up and down yelling OHHHHH. It was just the fans who knew our team needed a lift. So we hit 2 three pointers in a row and cut it to 2 points. I looked at my wife and told her there was no way this team was beating us. Hilton has the old feeling of the crowd not allowing our team to lose. Even when they had the ball with 16 seconds left I knew they had no chance. Crowd would not allow it. Just a loud crowd with no forced cheers. That was the Magic I remember growing up. No organized cheers. Just our band playing our fight song. The team beleiving. The crowd not allowing us to lose. That was Hilton Magic last night folks. You may have forgot what it was like. I don't. I knew we would win when I heard the crowd respond when it was time.

I hate this also. I also hate scripted "cheers".

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 127
    Given: 1,325

Quote Originally Posted by DRCHIRO View Post
    The magic will never die. It may go into hibernation at times due to the recent play of the mens team but it will never die.
    That's a good point. "Hilton Magic" was embedded in the very construction of Hilton Coliseum. Only the engineering students who were there at the time of the construction know how it was done and they swore a code of secrecy at the time. It activates at the proper times and under certain sets of conditions. It cannot ever die until Hilton is torn down and leveled.

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 2

Official attendance was just under 6500. Couldn't believe it was smaller than Sunday, it sure didn't look smaller.

Would love to see that place packed for a women's game someday.

All-Star
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 358
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 25

I agree, Hilton magic can not be manufactured. It was something that is just there. In a way, it has a lot to do with the engineering students. That was the blueprint for what the crowd needs to be. People who love the team and the school pouring their heart into yelling because they want to. Not because some puppet ******* is doing it because it is his job or who knows what other reasons. We need least a person who is up there encouraging them to do calisthenics.

Our fans know when to yell, we don't need the MAN telling us when to yell at every junction of the game, it is actually counter productive. People that were the real Hilton Magic didn't follow a talking head monkey, they follow people just like them that want with their whole body to help the team. They want to be part of the reason the team wins. They want to be the one that makes the difference. They want to be the one to stand up and say lets do this thing. It becomes a little bit of a competition of who cares the most.

When someone next to me gets up and says hey we're not cheering loud enough I respect that, I agree, and I stand next to him. When some schmuck is just doing his job, I follow him and I feel like a heel. The organized crap should stop. It is not the only thing that needs to change, but HILTON MAGIC WILL NEVER BE MANUFACTURED.

Last edited by mikeiastat; 03-24-2010 at 12:05 PM.

Just Win Baby
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

Was at the game and the crowd was solid! Especially for only having 6500 to 7000K fans there. It was far from the old Hilton Magic days but it was a great environment for girls basketball. I love watch the Sisters play and hear how passionate fans are for the girls

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 127
    Given: 1,325

Quote Originally Posted by mikeiastat View Post
    I agree, Hilton magic can not be manufactured. It was something that is just there. In a way, it has a lot to do with the engineering students. That was the blueprint for what the crowd needs to be. People who love the team and the school pouring their heart into yelling because they want to. Not because some puppet ******* is doing it because it is his job or who knows what other reasons. We need least a person who is up there encouraging them to do calisthenics.

Our fans know when to yell, we don't need the MAN telling us when to yell at every junction of the game, it is actually counter productive. People that were the real Hilton Magic didn't follow a talking head monkey, they follow people just like them that want with their whole body to help the team. They want to be part of the reason the team wins. They want to be the one that makes the difference. They want to be the one to stand up and say lets do this thing. It becomes a little bit of a competition of who cares the most.

When someone next to me gets up and says hey we're not cheering loud enough I respect that, I agree, and I stand next to him. When some schmuck is just doing his job, I follow him and I feel like a heel. The organized crap should stop. It is not the only thing that needs to change, but HILTON MAGIC WILL NEVER BE MANUFACTURED.
    Good post, man! As you say, it is a spontaneous thing. It is the will of Cyclone fans expressing itself in an overwhelming blast of vibratory sound, motion, and light. It can only be added to, not artificially started or manufactured. It disorientates opposing teams and makes their coaches do stupid things. Go Cyclones!!

Addict
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,897
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 69

It's always amazing to me how loud Hilton can get with only 6,000 or 7,000 fans in attendance.

Had breakfast this morning with a UNI/Hawk fan and we were talking about great places to watch games. I told him I thought Kinnick was probably the best place to watch a football game while Hilton is the best for basketball.

Hilton Magic is really fun. We've just had a pretty long dry spell...

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 706
    Given: 331

Took me back to the days of the real Hilton Magic. Great to be apart of that crowd and support the women's team last night.

Starter
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 531
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    Was at the game and the crowd was solid! Especially for only having 6500 to 7000K fans there. It was far from the old Hilton Magic days but it was a great environment for girls basketball. I love watch the Sisters play and hear how passionate fans are for the girls
    I think the place looked like more than the 6800 fans that they officially counted; I miss few games, and during the regular season they announced the paid attendance on a regular basis of somewhere in the mid-nine thousand; and yet the 6800 looked like more than the regular season 9500. The discrepancy must be due to the paid vs. the actual attendance. With the NCAA you get the actual, which is less than the paid during the regular season.