Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35
  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 25,345, Level: 48
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 205
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,449
    Points
    25,345
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 67

    The dreaded double foul

    What is with the the double foul and Iowa State?

    In the past thirty years I have seen the double foul called only three times and two were in Cyclone games. I didn't see the play too well last night, but it just made me think this is one rule that needs to be eliminated.


    Clone to the Bone with the up and coming IOWA STATE.

  2. #2
    All-Star Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    dtclones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    1,630
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The dreaded double foul

    The Cyclone men had one called earlier this season too.



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 856,821, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 73.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    55,034
    Points
    856,821
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,275
    Given: 1,113

    Re: The dreaded double foul

    Quote Originally Posted by dtclones View Post
    The Cyclone men had one called earlier this season too.
    What game was that? I remember that John and Eric were blown away by it happening, and I was listening on my way to work. Makes me think it was against Oklahoma, but I can't remember which game for sure.


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  4. #4
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 84,929, Level: 90
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 621
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    4,695
    Points
    84,929
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The dreaded double foul

    Quote Originally Posted by CTTB78 View Post
    What is with the the double foul and Iowa State?

    In the past thirty years I have seen the double foul called only three times and two were in Cyclone games. I didn't see the play too well last night, but it just made me think this is one rule that needs to be eliminated.
    I think I saw 4-5 of those this year. Bobby Knight was announcing a game when one happened and I was surprised to hear him compliment the officials. He said it is perfectly understandable that two officials with two different angles see two different things. Said he would hrather have bot officials be confident enough in their call that they won't budge.

    I thought that was an interesting take, especially coming from Bobby


    "Not at the table Carlos."

  5. #5
    All-Star Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    dtclones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    1,630
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The dreaded double foul

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    What game was that? I remember that John and Eric were blown away by it happening, and I was listening on my way to work. Makes me think it was against Oklahoma, but I can't remember which game for sure.

    Yeah I was thinking either Oklahoma or Tech. I know it was an away game early in the conference season. Pretty sure you're right about Oklahoma.



  6. #6
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 107,857, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    ruxCYtable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,949
    Points
    107,857
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 170
    Given: 139

    Re: The dreaded double foul

    Quote Originally Posted by tazclone View Post
    I think I saw 4-5 of those this year. Bobby Knight was announcing a game when one happened and I was surprised to hear him compliment the officials. He said it is perfectly understandable that two officials with two different angles see two different things. Said he would hrather have bot officials be confident enough in their call that they won't budge.

    I thought that was an interesting take, especially coming from Bobby
    I hate the double-foul when you have one official calling a block and the other a charge. That should not happen and is the nightmare of every official.

    Where I feel the double foul is useful and should happen MORE often is when you have two players really mixing it up and it is getting rough. It is unfair to single one out in that situation, although some like to do it that way because they think it keeps the players on their toes. Coaches I have talked to have told me they would actually like to see more double fouls called to clean up rough post play.



  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 856,821, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 73.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    55,034
    Points
    856,821
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,275
    Given: 1,113

    Re: The dreaded double foul

    Quote Originally Posted by dtclones View Post
    Yeah I was thinking either Oklahoma or Tech. I know it was an away game early in the conference season. Pretty sure you're right about Oklahoma.
    I'm halfway guessing, but it seems like their reaction fit in the middle of that passionate comeback attempt.

    But I'm open to the idea that it wasn't Oklahoma if someone remembers better.


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 94,583, Level: 95
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 467
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CYdTracked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    8,671
    Points
    94,583
    Level
    95
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: The dreaded double foul

    Those were the same refs from the 1st game on Sunday that were terrible and they weren't any better last night. There were 6 fouls called in the first 4 minutes of the game then in the second half only 5 fouls called in about the first 8 minutes I think.


    Go Cubs Go!

  9. #9
    All-Star
    Points: 25,110, Level: 48
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 440
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    BenEClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Lincoln, Ne
    Posts
    1,825
    Points
    25,110
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 4

    Re: The dreaded double foul

    In a related matter - Steyer raised up to challenge a line call right in front of her. She had the best vantage point. It seemed to me our player was far from the edge of the court. Was that on tv, or did anyone see it better?


    “We’ve got a pretty good football conference, and we’ve got a pretty good conference overall. We’re still walking around with our heads held high and our chest out, about that.” Paul Rhoads

  10. #10
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 6,929, Level: 24
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 121
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    291
    Points
    6,929
    Level
    24
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 12

    Re: The dreaded double foul

    Quote Originally Posted by ruxCYtable View Post
    I hate the double-foul when you have one official calling a block and the other a charge. That should not happen and is the nightmare of every official.
    I seriously doubt if you've seen that - by definition it can't happen.

    I use it 8-10 times a year and wish more officials would use it. If the first one doesn't straighten thwm out, the second one really gets their attention.

    Quote Originally Posted by CYdTracked View Post
    Those were the same refs from the 1st game on Sunday that were terrible and they weren't any better last night. There were 6 fouls called in the first 4 minutes of the game then in the second half only 5 fouls called in about the first 8 minutes I think.
    Actually, two of three were the same as our game Sunday night - and wasn't really any different than the B12 season. They are obviously being told by someone to "let 'em play." I think it's horrible for women's basketball, and I've told BF that on his call in show, and he agreed.



  11. #11
    All-Star Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    dtclones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    1,630
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The dreaded double foul

    Quote Originally Posted by gizzsdad View Post
    I seriously doubt if you've seen that - by definition it can't happen.

    I use it 8-10 times a year and wish more officials would use it. If the first one doesn't straighten thwm out, the second one really gets their attention.



    Actually, two of three were the same as our game Sunday night - and wasn't really any different than the B12 season. They are obviously being told by someone to "let 'em play." I think it's horrible for women's basketball, and I've told BF that on his call in show, and he agreed.
    That was the exact call earlier this season in a men's game against either Oklahoma or Tech, can't remember for sure. One official signalled block, the other signalled charge. A double foul was called. And you're right, by rule it can't happen, but evidently, the two officals saw the same play completely different.



  12. #12
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 6,929, Level: 24
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 121
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    291
    Points
    6,929
    Level
    24
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 12

    Re: The dreaded double foul

    Quote Originally Posted by BenEClone View Post
    In a related matter - Steyer raised up to challenge a line call right in front of her. She had the best vantage point. It seemed to me our player was far from the edge of the court. Was that on tv, or did anyone see it better?
    I have to admit I wasn't looking right at it(was watching for a pick to come), but it didn't even look close to the line. Some kind of a make-up call maybe?

    Reminds me of a play late in the season where we inbounded on the side and threw one quick pass, and the lead official called three seconds on us. BF had his hands out as one of the other officials came by, and she looked right at him and said: "I can't explain that."



  13. #13
    Starter
    Points: 13,878, Level: 35
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 172
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    684
    Points
    13,878
    Level
    35
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The dreaded double foul

    Quote Originally Posted by gizzsdad View Post
    I seriously doubt if you've seen that - by definition it can't happen.

    I use it 8-10 times a year and wish more officials would use it. If the first one doesn't straighten thwm out, the second one really gets their attention.
    I seriously doubt if you've been an ISU fan for long in that case. Stick with it long enough and you will see all the **** the universe can think to pull.


    have you ever got caught outside In a strong rainfall? Yes or NO. If it"s yes, then you might half felt the pane of hard(tought) rain on you head. If it hurt"s then it"s tough. Yes or no. Okay I'm right and you know it.

    So alothough you attempt"ed to say you didn"t understnad, now you do. Fair enough?

  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 135,716, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    clones_jer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    IA
    Posts
    8,337
    Points
    135,716
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Re: The dreaded double foul

    Quote Originally Posted by gizzsdad View Post
    I seriously doubt if you've seen that - by definition it can't happen...
    But also by rule 1 official can not overrule another. So by rule a double call on the same play (1 block, 1 charge) becomes a double foul and a PofI throw in.

    this was all discussed at length in another thread when it happened to the guys this season.

    most of the refs on here (at least a half dozen by my last count) agreed they'd conference and stick with 1 call or just try not to signal too quickly on a double whistle situation... but the college guys have to be by the book, and until the book gets changed that's what it is.



  15. #15
    Walk On
    Points: 3,482, Level: 17
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 368
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    170
    Points
    3,482
    Level
    17
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The dreaded double foul

    The only double fouls I've seen were like last night, rebounding/position fouls. They were holding and daring the officials to call it, several times we got called for doing far less than what was being done to us. Drives a post player crazy, I'm sure!



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM