Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 11

Schedule-Quit complaining

It is just something that is unavoidable, suck it up.

Every story, article, CF thread about ISU football has the built in excuse and or feel sorry for us notion, because of next seasons schedule. We have a great opportunity every time we have our turn at this screwy, unfair, scheduling quirk.
    I mean, it is like hearing about a football player eating 6 pizzas last night, and every time you read an article, watch a televised game, read a message board for the next 10 years, you are going to hear about this guy eating 6 pizzas. Play the games, OH MY GOD LOOK AT OUR SCHEDULE NEXT YEAR!!!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Schedule-Quit complaining

I like the schedule; It will show us what we actually have as a team, I would rather play a good opponent over a fluff piece any day. It makes you stronger and dosnt blow air under our skirts about how good we are.

Walk On
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 188
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

Amen. You play who is on your schedule, and that's that. Some years the schedule is much easier than the others, but I don't see anyone writing articles this past year showing who we missed from the South.

Pro
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,415
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 4

There are some daunting tests, but at second glance, there are a lot more winnable games than originally anticipated. I'm pretty jacked that we get Mizzou & Nebraska at home and K-St. in a neutral site game, because those are going to be arguably the three biggest foes when it comes to winning the division. I'm not saying that ISU is going to do that, but I fully expect another year in the North where the winner will go 5-3 in conference play.

It's asking a lot of us to go 5-3, but when you factor in the three games I just mentioned and then think that we get a complete mystery KU team at home as well as a TTU team that is in flux, plus our final road game is at Colorado, who may have given up on their season and their coach by that point, I can see how we have some favorable matchups.

"Karl Malone love making up jokes. Karl Malone always say, 'laughter is the best Mexican.' "

-Jimmy Kimmel impersonating Karl Malone

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 474
    Given: 324

Not sure I ever complained about the schedule - it is what it is. All I've ever said is progress next season needs to be viewed objectively because the team will most certainly be better next season, but it may not show up in the standings. However, if we pull off a bowl game with this schedule, it will stand as much more impressive than what we did last season.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mkadl View Post

Every story, article, CF thread about ISU football has the built in excuse and or feel sorry for us notion, because of next seasons schedule. We have a great opportunity every time we have our turn at this screwy, unfair, scheduling quirk.
    I mean, it is like hearing about a football player eating 6 pizzas last night, and every time you read an article, watch a televised game, read a message board for the next 10 years, you are going to hear about this guy eating 6 pizzas. Play the games, OH MY GOD LOOK AT OUR SCHEDULE NEXT YEAR!!!
    If I had a nickel for every time I used the six pizza analogy....

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 950
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26

Quote Originally Posted by mkadl View Post

I guess I don't see anyone complaining. It is a statement of fact more than anything. You have to realize the schedule is harder this year. The Clones could win 4 or 5 games and be a much better this year. People that don't realize that will be the ones starting the "fire PR" threads if we lose games to Utah, TT, OU, TX, Neb and Iowa. All of which, with the possible exception of Utah, we will be huge underdogs. I still am hoping for 6 or 7 wins, but I won't be crying if we get a couple less, the schedule is not an excuse, it is just a reality this year and I think it is important that people realize how difficult it is.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 913
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 46

I agree, our schedule is hard every year, its never easy. We play in one of the best conferences. Even when it was the Big 8, it was never easy. Some years it may be a little bit tougher than others, but there's only 12 games every year so its not like there is a monumental difference in strength of schedule from year to year.

Pro
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,415
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by balken View Post
    You have to admit. One guy eating six pizzas is pretty damn impressive. Brent Musburger would have an aneurysm trying to wrap his brain around this.

"Karl Malone love making up jokes. Karl Malone always say, 'laughter is the best Mexican.' "

-Jimmy Kimmel impersonating Karl Malone

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 324
    Given: 98

We go to a bowl game if we beat: NIU, UNI, KU, CU, K-State, and Mizzou.

We might be favored in all of those games. There are only two "unwinnable" games on this schedule: @OU and @UT.

This all said, at the end of the day, I think we lose one of the games I mentioned, and score an upset of either Iowa, Nebraska, Utah, or Tech, and I think it's really possible that Utah and Tech might be significantly worse teams than they were this past year.

Useless stat of the day: We've never lost to Iowa coming off a bowl victory.

Last edited by Al_4_State; 03-24-2010 at 10:39 AM.
    In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Legend
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 480
    Given: 928

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Not sure I ever complained about the schedule - it is what it is. All I've ever said is progress next season needs to be viewed objectively because the team will most certainly be better next season, but it may not show up in the standings. However, if we pull off a bowl game with this schedule, it will stand as much more impressive than what we did last season.
    This is pretty much where I am. I've responded on a thread about winning the North that I thought our schedule this year made it too tough to be a real possibility. I don't think that constitutes complaining about the schedule. I think it is looking at the season ahead realistically.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Pro
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,254
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 12

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    We go to a bowl game if we beat: NIU, UNI, KU, CU, K-State, and Mizzou.

We might be favored in all of those games. There are only two "unwinnable" games on this schedule: @OU and @UT.

This all said, at the end of the day, I think we lose one of the games I mentioned, and score an upset of either Iowa, Nebraska, Utah, or Tech, and I think it's really possible that Utah and Tech might be significantly worse teams than they were this past year.

Useless stat of the day: We've never lost to Iowa coming off a bowl victory.
    I would file that under useless. I am not sure 2 examples counts as a very good data sampling.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

Keep in mind, many people thought that us playing Neb. there was an "unwinnable" game as well.

I look at this season as a great opportunity to continue to make waves. It started wth Nebraska and the lockerroom vid, now it can conitnue with a shocker in Norman or in Texas.

Judging by how the players played, acted,and bought into the system if CPR said to run through a brick wall, 100% of our guys would do it....and probably comple the task. This team really doesn't fear anyone now. They don't roll over anymore. That's a pretty good damn nice thing to know given where we were two years ago.

If CPR is selling the Kool-aid, I'm buying....in bulk.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 324
    Given: 98

Quote Originally Posted by RyCy04 View Post
    I would file that under useless. I am not sure 2 examples counts as a very good data sampling.
    That's why I labeled it as such. Believe me, I'm not predicting victory over Iowa, just thought it was interesting.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Pro
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 405
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by balken View Post
    ... you'd have 1 nickel?