Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 3

Iowa City and the 21-age limit war: Revisited

Poor IC city council. Tonight they have to put up with a flood of students that are so concerned that they can't control themselves at house parties that they demand that the bars stay open for anybody 19 and above. A petition has actually been circulated to try to lower that age to 18.

This is a mess. These students only vote when this issue comes up.

I would love to see it on a July ballot instead on November, just to see what the result would be if the UofI "entitled" students were not around to vote for the first time since they moved to IC.

All-Star Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Iowa City and the 21-age limit war: Revisited

I'm really glad Ames bar-age is 21. If you want to get in the bars bad enough, you'll get a fake. Some of my funnest nights were at house parties when I was under-age, and even when I was of-age.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 313
    Given: 95

If Iowa City goes to 21, there will be a LOT of empty building fronts in downtown IC. The reason there are so many bars in IC is because the pool of bar goers is so much larger than other towns in Iowa.

I think this is a bad move for downtown Iowa City. Lots of business will leave that area.

Quote Originally Posted by dtclones
    I'm really glad Ames bar-age is 21. If you want to get in the bars bad enough, you'll get a fake. Some of my funnest nights were at house parties when I was under-age, and even when I was of-age.
    I agree with this 100%. I always loved the Ames house party scene, and then when you were 21, you could get away from puking freshmen if you wanted to. Ames is set up for this, though. Campustown would have a LOT more bars (like Iowa City) if 19 year olds could get into them. As it stands, the bar to bar goer ratio is pretty complimentary. Iowa City may soon have a bar to bar goer ration that is really skewed.

Last edited by Al_4_State; 03-23-2010 at 08:48 AM.
    In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    If Iowa City goes to 21, there will be a LOT of empty building fronts in downtown IC. The reason there are so many bars in IC is because the pool of bar goers is so much larger than other towns in Iowa.

I think this is a bad move for downtown Iowa City. Lots of business will leave that area.

I agree with this 100%. I always loved the Ames house party scene, and then when you were 21, you could get away from puking freshmen if you wanted to. Ames is set up for this, though. Campustown would have a LOT more bars (like Iowa City) if 19 year olds could get into them. As it stands, the bar to bar goer ratio is pretty complimentary. Iowa City may soon have a bar to bar goer ration that is really skewed.

This is because they can. Many of these bars only are only open to cater to the kiddies. They make money off cover and drinks. The underage drinking in the bars is horrible. They don't want to get caught with the drink their 21-over friend got them, so they slam everything. This leads to many many stupid drunks by the end of the night.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 509
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15

In my opinion Ames would be a completely different town if they had the same rules as IC. You are talking about increasing your Bar goers pool by 10,000 students when you have 19 and older bars.

Addict
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 612
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

I'm glad that Ames was 21 and over, bars were already crowded enough on the weekend and byt the time I was 21+ I really didn't care to hang out as much with 18 and 19 year olds that didn't know how to hold down their liquor. The Iowa City bars are a joke, the 21 and over age limit is loosely inforced, all you have to do is get you of age buddy to order you a mixed drink and dump it in your cup or just put your drink in the middle of the table and be careful when you drink from it.

Had no problems drinking at parties off campus or in the dorms, in fact they were much cheaper and more fun.

Go Cubs Go!

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneYoda View Post
    This is because they can. Many of these bars only are only open to cater to the kiddies. They make money off cover and drinks. The underage drinking in the bars is horrible. They don't want to get caught with the drink their 21-over friend got them, so they slam everything. This leads to many many stupid drunks by the end of the night.
    Right. I understand all of this.

My only point, is that if you make Iowa City bars 21+, a LOT of those bars will go out of business. There aren't enough 21+ year olds to keep that many bars profitable.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    Right. I understand all of this.

My only point, is that if you make Iowa City bars 21+, a LOT of those bars will go out of business. There aren't enough 21+ year olds to keep that many bars profitable.

On the plus side, there is also a dining-out culture. Maybe some more food to replace those bars.

Also, if these places are only open because they are allowed to break the law, who cares if they close?

Pro
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 405
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

On the plus side, there is also a dining-out culture. Maybe some more food to replace those bars.

Also, if these places are only open because they are allowed to break the law, who cares if they close?
    Just curious what your beef is with IC and their law?

Yes, I'm sure there are rules being broken... but they are in Ames as well, as well as every other college city. In a time where jobs and successful small businesses are at a premium, it would need to be a very compelling argument and reason to enact a law that would mean shutting down multiple businesses.

Addict
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 168
    Given: 55

Agreed on this one. Those bars only exist because they are making money selling to under age patrons. If they can't make it without that business, they shouldn't be in business. This argument comes out every time this issue comes up, and to me it doesn't make any more sense than getting worried that we will have a bunch of unemployed crack dealers if we work harder on stopping drug trafficing.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Property owners in downtown. You might get some restaurants to move in, but there are already plenty of eateries in that area. You get empty storefronts, property value decreases, property tax revenue decreases, and the whole area is at an increased risk for blight.

The Coralville Mall was the first hit to downtown, and this would be the second. Having the bars at 19 brings revenue into downtown, and if you cut away that revenue source, it's going to hurt business there, period.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 824
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

I wish there was a way there could be a couple bars that are 18/19+ and the rest 21+ like Cedar Falls. They have the best set up in Iowa IMO.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jtd9046 View Post
    [Just curious what your beef is with IC and their law?

Yes, I'm sure there are rules being broken... but they are in Ames as well, as well as every other college city. In a time where jobs and successful small businesses are at a premium, it would need to be a very compelling argument and reason to enact a law that would mean shutting down multiple businesses.
    Are you suggesting that it is okay for a business to promote and profit off of illegal activity just to keep the economy floating?

If you really believe this, I would like to work in your ma & pa cocaine processing center. Hey, it's illegal, but times are tough!!!!!

st8

Quote Originally Posted by jtd9046 View Post
    Just curious what your beef is with IC and their law?

like if the law was being broken? this has nothing to do with small business and jobs, it has everything to do with the fact that it is ridiculous to think that 19-20 year olds can be let into a bar and won't in some way be obtaining alcohol from that establishment.

All-Star
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 60
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

i have partied in iowa city a few times, my thoughts are that you can tell they let 19 year olds in the bar, why? because in iowa city it really seems like half the crowd is fine, but then you have the other half that is freshman and all d-bags, immature, and ralphing all over the place. not saying i haven't had my moments getting super drunk, but the bar with thousands of other people is not the place. So glad ames is 21.

Personally, I would love to see their law change, they wouldn't know what to do themselves, and we wouldn't have to hear about how awesome parties are in iowa city.

how would you feel as 5th year senior at iowa and he has been going to the same bars for 5 years. At iowa state, more variety, I always enjoyed my times at house parties