Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 42
  1. #1
    Recruit
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    89
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Unbelievable Quote from Wes Johnson

    "Really, my mindset was to be aggressive on defense, so I think that carried over to the offensive end," said Johnson, who is finally healed from an injury to his right (shooting) hand in February against Connecticut. "My shot was falling."


    Too bad he didn't have that mindset in Ames.



  2. #2
    Legend
    Points: 273,685, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    VeloClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Posts
    12,910
    Points
    273,685
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 460
    Given: 900

    Re: Unbelievable Quote from Wes Johnson

    I don't like how he left either, however, I refuse to resort to revisionist history. When healthy, he was a our best player. I wish he would have been here last year playing with Brackins.

    I'm not rooting for him, but I still recognize what he did while he was here.


    "There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

  3. #3
    Prospect
    Points: 8,731, Level: 27
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    53
    Points
    8,731
    Level
    27
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Unbelievable Quote from Wes Johnson

    If our medical staff had made a proper diagnosis, he probably would have been here last year and maybe this year. Mac maybe could have been a little less demanding, but I know I would have done the same thing he did if I was told there was nothing wrong.



  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 24,995, Level: 48
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 555
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Skyh13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,830
    Points
    24,995
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 1

    Re: Unbelievable Quote from Wes Johnson

    Syracuse is at the top of my list of teams I want to see knocked out of the tourny ASAP.



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 174,642, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    snowcraig2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    7,224
    Points
    174,642
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 267
    Given: 53

    Re: Unbelievable Quote from Wes Johnson

    After all these defections, I am flabbergasted that some are still putting it on the players.



  6. #6
    Prospect
    Points: 6,757, Level: 24
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 293
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    59
    Points
    6,757
    Level
    24
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0

    Re: Unbelievable Quote from Wes Johnson

    Well, here's another unbelievable quote:

    McDermott visited Johnson at his home in Texas on Sunday, but it did not change anything. "I wanted Wesley to fully understand how a transfer can impact his development for a professional career," McDermott said. "His mind was already made up."

    Transferring certainly impacted his development for a professional career.

    Am I the only person who remembers that McDermott called Wesley Johnson out in public in the DM Register...using a medical redshirt as a threat after insinuating that he was simply not playing up to his potential? The Register reporter then hustled over to Johnson for a response...the poor kid was dumbfounded. That was in early in the season; I told my husband the day I read that story..."well, he'll be gone next year."



  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 63,143, Level: 77
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,047
    Points
    63,143
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Unbelievable Quote from Wes Johnson

    I've been trying to think of another example of a player transferring from a worse team to a better team and then becoming the best player on his new team. Maybe Tyler Smith to a certain extent.

    It's almost always guys transferring to smaller programs for more playing time. And, if they transfer to a better program they usually don't see much playing time, but they're closer to home or something like that.

    Just seems pretty rare.



  8. #8
    All-Star
    Points: 24,859, Level: 48
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 691
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,255
    Points
    24,859
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 30

    Re: Unbelievable Quote from Wes Johnson

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetiecy View Post
    Well, here's another unbelievable quote:

    McDermott visited Johnson at his home in Texas on Sunday, but it did not change anything. "I wanted Wesley to fully understand how a transfer can impact his development for a professional career," McDermott said. "His mind was already made up."

    Transferring certainly impacted his development for a professional career.

    Am I the only person who remembers that McDermott called Wesley Johnson out in public in the DM Register...using a medical redshirt as a threat after insinuating that he was simply not playing up to his potential? The Register reporter then hustled over to Johnson for a response...the poor kid was dumbfounded. That was in early in the season; I told my husband the day I read that story..."well, he'll be gone next year."
    Wow - nice find. So I guess McD was telling Wesley all about how he would be a top three pick if he left, versus being mired in mediocrity (at best) if he stayed...



  9. #9
    All-Star
    Points: 28,175, Level: 51
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 475
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    homeless
    Posts
    1,844
    Points
    28,175
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Unbelievable Quote from Wes Johnson

    Quote Originally Posted by Greglixhislips View Post
    "Really, my mindset was to be aggressive on defense, so I think that carried over to the offensive end," said Johnson, who is finally healed from an injury to his right (shooting) hand in February against Connecticut. "My shot was falling."


    Too bad he didn't have that mindset in Ames.
    Obviously from your statement you never saw him play while at ISU when he was healthy. LIke it even matters now anyway. Pretty clear to me where the real issue lies with ISU basketball. If WJ leaving were an isolated case I could understand being a little upset. When you have players leave early IN MASSES, and have a coach that is completely dumb founded about it time and time again It speaks very clearly what / who the underlying issue is.


    Last edited by GoShow97; 03-22-2010 at 07:44 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Accept the truth

  10. #10
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 53,670, Level: 71
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 380
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CyCloned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Robins, Iowa
    Posts
    4,282
    Points
    53,670
    Level
    71
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 25

    Re: Unbelievable Quote from Wes Johnson

    Quote Originally Posted by farcyted View Post
    If our medical staff had made a proper diagnosis, he probably would have been here last year and maybe this year. Mac maybe could have been a little less demanding, but I know I would have done the same thing he did if I was told there was nothing wrong.
    This is what I thought all along. How the heck can you not figure out a guy has a broken foot? Even a casual fan could see he was hurting badly and couldn't move well. WJ must have thought that GMac and the training staff were a bunch on morons after they finally figured out it was broken. I know I would have. GMac was so concerned about WJ hurting his pro career by transfering, what about completely ruining your foot by continuing to play on it after it was broken? I am with the poster that pointed out that the WJ's transfer has much more to do with what Gmac was doing than with ISU.



  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 118,867, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cyclonenum1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,181
    Points
    118,867
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Unbelievable Quote from Wes Johnson

    Some of you just cannot help yourselves.

    WJ is gone...one player in a long list of player turnover under GM.

    It appears clear that our current coach did not know how to handle a player the caliber of WJ...either on the court or off the court.

    It appears our medical staff got it wrong relative to WJ.

    I am cheering for Syracuse because WJ is the only reason ISU will get any mention on TV or elsewhere for the rest of this MBB season.



    I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 854,193, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    54,856
    Points
    854,193
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,165
    Given: 1,020

    Re: Unbelievable Quote from Wes Johnson

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclonenum1 View Post
    Some of you just cannot help yourselves.

    WJ is gone...one player in a long list of player turnover under GM.

    It appears clear that our current coach did not know how to handle a player the caliber of WJ...either on the court or off the court.

    It appears our medical staff got it wrong relative to WJ.

    I am cheering for Syracuse because WJ is the only reason ISU will get any mention on TV or elsewhere for the rest of this MBB season.
    Unless another coach has a temper tantrum like the Morgan State one did. Rice got us a mention for that.


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  13. #13
    Rookie
    Points: 9,612, Level: 29
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 338
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    jcats322's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    374
    Points
    9,612
    Level
    29
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 83

    Re: Unbelievable Quote from Wes Johnson

    Quote Originally Posted by cy1010 View Post
    I've been trying to think of another example of a player transferring from a worse team to a better team and then becoming the best player on his new team. Maybe Tyler Smith to a certain extent.

    It's almost always guys transferring to smaller programs for more playing time. And, if they transfer to a better program they usually don't see much playing time, but they're closer to home or something like that.

    Just seems pretty rare.
    Scotty Reynolds from Oklahoma to Villanova would be close, but clearly not near the margin of difference in teams there.



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 96,983, Level: 96
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 67
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Clonefan94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Schaumburg, IL
    Posts
    5,908
    Points
    96,983
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 91
    Given: 34

    Re: Unbelievable Quote from Wes Johnson

    I can't or don't blame Wes one bit. It was obviously the right move. As others have said, if he was the only one who left, then I would probably feel different. Seems to me he was the smart one to get out while he still had time.

    It's obvious to me that this staff is incapable of running ISU basketball as it should be. Right now, I'm surprised anyone would want to play here.



  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 153,154, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Clonefan32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,316
    Points
    153,154
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 307
    Given: 2

    Re: Unbelievable Quote from Wes Johnson

    First of all, I think it's somewhat funny that people on here get so offended that someone would mention Wesley Johnson's name. It's not like his name has or should be permanently banned for the site, anyone should be able to talk about Wes as they please. You act like just because he slighted us the mere mention of his name is some kind of insult.

    I also find this thread a bit funny in relation to the thread about Ben Jacobsen. The majority opinion on that thread seemed to be Coach Jacobsen would be completely justified to get out when the getting is good, and take off for greener pastures while his stock is still high; yet when Johnson did this people are still incredibly bitter. I know there are many other components to this argument, such as Wesley not getting paid to be here, and the circumstances surrounding Wes's transfer...but in the same sense basketball becomes a business when someone has that much talent. In the same way a coach may justifiably bolt for a better opportunity when their stock is high, so should a player be able to.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM