Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Prospect
    Points: 6,665, Level: 24
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 385
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    64
    Points
    6,665
    Level
    24
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    financial management software

    I was wondering if anyone has advice for a type of financial software to use. I'm looking for something very basic and very cheap. Mostly want to categorize expenses to keep track of budgeting. I used to use quicken but don't see very good reports/reviews of their more recent software.



  2. #2
    All-Star
    Points: 19,457, Level: 42
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 393
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    kcclones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    1,702
    Points
    19,457
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 6

    Re: financial management software

    use mint.com



  3. #3
    Rookie
    Points: 17,054, Level: 39
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 196
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Clone1450's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    591
    Points
    17,054
    Level
    39
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

    Re: financial management software

    Excel...



  4. #4
    Starter
    Points: 19,034, Level: 42
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 816
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    bufante's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    DMI
    Posts
    968
    Points
    19,034
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

    Re: financial management software

    I'm in the middle of figuring this out myself.

    I used to use Microsoft Money and I liked it, but my computer crashed, so we are moving our money stuff to my wife's Mac. So far I have downloaded several trials, to check out. iBank and Quicken seem to be the front runners.

    I'll take any suggestions from others too...



  5. #5
    All-Star
    Points: 44,188, Level: 64
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    zach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Subs
    Posts
    1,553
    Points
    44,188
    Level
    64
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: financial management software

    Quote Originally Posted by bufante View Post
    I'm in the middle of figuring this out myself.

    I used to use Microsoft Money and I liked it, but my computer crashed, so we are moving our money stuff to my wife's Mac. So far I have downloaded several trials, to check out. iBank and Quicken seem to be the front runners.

    I'll take any suggestions from others too...

    I am considering moving to Mac on the next go around too.
    Z


    The grass always looks greener, on the other side of the fence, but the dog over there might be meaner, on the other side of the fence… Stay in your own yard, play in your own yard!

  6. #6
    Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    DaddyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    14,375
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: financial management software

    I've been moving away from Money as well. So far Quicken is the leader, but it's been bloody. Heard alot of good things about Mint (which is now Quicken and will be their online product - retiring QuickenOnline apparently), but my primary bank isn't part of their system - which makes it pretty much worthless. I notified them back in September about it, coincidentally they are just getting around to it last week. Some tech support.

    As for Quicken, they have problems. For desktop, if your banks, credit cards, etc aren't in their database, you're pretty much SOL. They don't support .qif file import any longer. Their answer is basically "get to typing". And for the online, you can't add manual accounts- for instance my Amazon.com and Nebraska Furniture Mart cards aren't supported, and I can't add them - so it's a bit of a trick to get the reminders worked out. The online also has zilch for retirement or investment, so I you have to use desktop. Of course, the two don't synch. Which is fine, except I really like the iPhone app for entering and quick access - and it requires Online.

    So gaping holes with Intuit. They claim total integration is coming. My guess is 2020 or so. They haven't been speedy or responsive to this point.

    Never heard of iBank. Have to give that a look.



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 88,722, Level: 92
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 628
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    capitalcityguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    5,268
    Points
    88,722
    Level
    92
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 115
    Given: 69

    Re: financial management software

    If you want cheap and you want basic, check out what reporting your online bank offers already. That won't cost you anything. I use Principal Bank, for example, and I can catagorize each entry (just like I used to on Quicken) and there are some basic reports you can run. I have to assume all online banks offer similar features.

    Might be worth a look.


    CCG

  8. #8
    Rookie CardinalAndGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    426
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: financial management software

    Sorry, would have gotten to do this sooner but I was traveling. I recommend mint.com very highly. However, if you feel comfortable with Excel, it is a very powerful program that can be personalized for your needs. Good luck



  9. #9
    Burgermeister!
    Points: 356,545, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    TykeClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    22,633
    Points
    356,545
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 162
    Given: 311

    Re: financial management software

    Quote Originally Posted by larrybob33 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has advice for a type of financial software to use. I'm looking for something very basic and very cheap. Mostly want to categorize expenses to keep track of budgeting. I used to use quicken but don't see very good reports/reviews of their more recent software.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    I've been moving away from Money as well. So far Quicken is the leader, but it's been bloody. Heard alot of good things about Mint (which is now Quicken and will be their online product - retiring QuickenOnline apparently), but my primary bank isn't part of their system - which makes it pretty much worthless. I notified them back in September about it, coincidentally they are just getting around to it last week. Some tech support.

    As for Quicken, they have problems. For desktop, if your banks, credit cards, etc aren't in their database, you're pretty much SOL. They don't support .qif file import any longer. Their answer is basically "get to typing". And for the online, you can't add manual accounts- for instance my Amazon.com and Nebraska Furniture Mart cards aren't supported, and I can't add them - so it's a bit of a trick to get the reminders worked out. The online also has zilch for retirement or investment, so I you have to use desktop. Of course, the two don't synch. Which is fine, except I really like the iPhone app for entering and quick access - and it requires Online.

    So gaping holes with Intuit. They claim total integration is coming. My guess is 2020 or so. They haven't been speedy or responsive to this point.

    Never heard of iBank. Have to give that a look.
    gnucash (Free Accounting Software | GnuCash) - open source software so it's free. And it isn't like quicken that keeps adding features for the sake of adding features - it's meant to work.

    As far as banks tying to Quicken, several years ago Intuit dropped the QIF format for downloads in favor of a sync that must go through them and rolled it out at an extra cost to banks (even those that use Intuit's own online banking hosting services). (gnucash supports QIF import)


    Asteroids are nature's way of asking "How's that space program going?"

  10. #10
    Prospect
    Points: 4,516, Level: 19
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    41
    Points
    4,516
    Level
    19
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 2

    Re: financial management software

    Try GNUCash... it's open source and totally free. I've used it for about 3 years... LOVE IT!

    MOClone



  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 404,705, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    21,064
    Points
    404,705
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 250
    Given: 103

    Re: financial management software

    I had mint recommended to me by someone the other day, but my small bank (liberty bank here in iowa) isnt supported.



  12. #12
    Burgermeister!
    Points: 356,545, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    TykeClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    22,633
    Points
    356,545
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 162
    Given: 311

    Re: financial management software

    Quote Originally Posted by alarson View Post
    I had mint recommended to me by someone the other day, but my small bank (liberty bank here in iowa) isnt supported.
    Looking at the mint.com site, it doesn't say exactly how it gathers all of your information. I presume that you must set up accounts at your own institution and then disclose to the mint.com website your online credentials to make it work?


    Asteroids are nature's way of asking "How's that space program going?"

  13. #13
    Starter
    Points: 13,377, Level: 35
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 673
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Longmont, CO
    Posts
    669
    Points
    13,377
    Level
    35
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 2

    Re: financial management software

    I have never used MINT but I highly recommend YODLEE.



  14. #14
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 59,308, Level: 75
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Kyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,075
    Points
    59,308
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: financial management software

    Another option to consider is the "You Need a Budget" (YNAB) program. When I was looking at programs several years ago it was highly rated, and it is still around and going strong. I haven't used it for a while though, mostly because I'm kind of lazy.
    http://www.youneedabudget.com/

    If you are ambitious, a simple spreadsheet program is also more than capable of doing the trick. They can be quite powerful if you know how to use them.


    Seneca Wallace.

  15. #15
    Starter
    Points: 23,641, Level: 47
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsSocial
    MadCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    783
    Points
    23,641
    Level
    47
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 13

    Re: financial management software

    Do any of you who use Excel care to share a template of what you've made? Just curious about some of the layouts people have. Thanks!



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM