Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

McDermott vs. Jacobsen

After watching Jacobsen coach this season, I got to thinking about how it compares to McDermott. Both of their styles are to stand at the edge of the coaching box with arms folded and very stoic.....I am guessing Jacobsen learned this from McDermott as this was probably his first coaching experience. UNI's players are coachable, basketball savvy ,unselfish and play as a team...who is the McDonalds all american or the star of the team????? My hope is that with Brackins and Gilstrap gone that we will have better team play and meld into the coaching style that McDermott can work with.

I hope the intelligent posters will reply with their opinions.....I am figuring out who are the junior high graduates by their simple minded posts.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 310
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 92
    Given: 23

Re: McDermott vs. Jacobsen

I don't think our guys were selfish. They just weren't terribly disciplined or cohesive on the court.

edit: They also lacked basketball IQ. So many bad shots and bad fouls and often out of position defensively..

Last edited by benjay; 03-21-2010 at 11:23 AM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 904
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 184

The similarities are obvious. The differences are more important, one of which appears to be that he can relate to his players on a personal level.

Now that MBB is back, do we still have to pretend that WBB matters?

-acgclone

Addict
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,839
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 8

biggest difference is Ben has players that actually execute and make shots in the same kind of offense Greg runs. Farokmanesh has veins of steel, that kid can flat out make big shots. Our kids seem like they don't execute the very same plays with the discipline that UNI does.

Go Cubs Go!

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CYdTracked View Post
    biggest difference is Ben has players that actually execute and make shots in the same kind of offense Greg runs. Farokmanesh has veins of steel, that kid can flat out make big shots. Our kids seem like they don't execute the very same plays with the discipline that UNI does.
    Yep...all the players fault at ISU.

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by number1 View Post
    After watching Jacobsen coach this season, I got to thinking about how it compares to McDermott. Both of their styles are to stand at the edge of the coaching box with arms folded and very stoic.....I am guessing Jacobsen learned this from McDermott as this was probably his first coaching experience. UNI's players are coachable, basketball savvy ,unselfish and play as a team...who is the McDonalds all american or the star of the team????? My hope is that with Brackins and Gilstrap gone that we will have better team play and meld into the coaching style that McDermott can work with.

I hope the intelligent posters will reply with their opinions.....I am figuring out who are the junior high graduates by their simple minded posts.
    I'll tell you the biggest difference I see is that Jacobsen has won conference championships and NCAA games while coaching at UNI...something McDermott never did.

Pro
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,244
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 156

Kids that committed to UNI under McDermott that played yesterday - Egelseder, Ahelegbe and Adam Koch.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 403

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonenum1 View Post
    I'll tell you the biggest difference I see is that Jacobsen has won conference championships and NCAA games while coaching at UNI...something McDermott never did.

This is quite true. I dont think GMAC ever had much of a great conference record while coaching in the Missouri Valley. I think it was decent, but nothing like Ben Js.

I wish there were answers to why we have struggled with Mac. There are no answers and it just seems like we are spinning our wheels doing the same exact things every year. Nothing has changed in the last 3 years and we just keep on about our business. We all wanted Mac to do so well and still do, just wish someone could point to a specific reason why we have been losing other than..... its just not going to work.

In short.. I need legit excuses that makes me feel better!

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 452
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

The UNI kids yesterday seemed like they wanted to win that game badly. The score was 10-2 and they were encouraging each other and having fun playing the game. Our guys never seemed to show that much excitement during the game. I loved watching the effort and enjoyment that UNI played with yesterday and always plays with.

Recruit
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 465
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

The first year of McDermott's tenure, me and a buddy went to the game in Cedar Falls, a fan that sat in front of us told us we got the wrong coach, Jacobsen is the guy you wanted, he did all the coaching. We didn't believe him at the time, and shrugged it off, thinking he was mad we stole his coach. After four years, I believe he was telling the truth.

All-Star
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 201
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonenum1 View Post
    Um, yep...thanks Mr. Obvious.

Ben's style is EXACTLY the same as Mac's. The same offensive concepts, the same defensive concepts. The DIFFERENCES are:

1) UNI executes, we don't
    2) UNI has tough players, physically and mentally, across the board, we don't
    3) UNI has players with high basketball IQ's across the board, we don't
    4) UNI plays hard at all times, at all stages, without question. There are 0 lapses in effort. I can't say I see that in us.

The gameplans are the same. The styles of play are the same. UNI is just better at it all. Call it coaching, all it players, whatever. Doesn't matter. UNI is just better. And Greg, the players, the assistants, everybody has to figure out how to fix it, asap.

Rookie
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 321
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by CYdTracked View Post
    UNI's game against KU should serve as inspiration for our team. They had to be able to see that "hey they run alot of the same stuff we do, maybe it does work if we run it right". UNI played hard, executed their gameplan and maybe most importantly is mentally tough.

Thumbs Up

cyclonenum1
    Addict

Credits: 8,323,584

Originally Posted by number1

Did your see the replay of Newby's gamewinning shot against Missouri....McDermott was coach then

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 310
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 92
    Given: 23

Quote Originally Posted by bdnichols2000 View Post
    The first year of McDermott's tenure, me and a buddy went to the game in Cedar Falls, a fan that sat in front of us told us we got the wrong coach, Jacobsen is the guy you wanted, he did all the coaching. We didn't believe him at the time, and shrugged it off, thinking he was mad we stole his coach. After four years, I believe he was telling the truth.
    Jacobsen's guys play like a team. They defend as a team. They understand shot selection. They look polished and extremely well coached. That is a reflection on Jacobsen.

McDermott's teams... well, we all know what they have played like.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,192
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 168
    Given: 121

Quote Originally Posted by bdnichols2000 View Post
    I'm not sure I can argue with this, but I really believe it's the type of player.

I remember a thread awhile back asking what was more important...athleticsm or basketball IQ (anyone else remember this?) The great majority wanted athleticsm.

Athleticsm is great, unless it's mentally and physically soft. This is the difference, IMO.

Jake has guys who have been told they are too slow, not tall enough, can't jump high enough, etc their whole life. These kids have something to prove and are mentally and physically tough, with high basketball IQs. Also, they stick together...unselfish.

Compare that with what McDermott has. Soft athletes, with zero basketball IQ.

Athleticism is needed to compete in the Big 12. Just need to find the kids with some toughness and IQ (I'm hoping Ejim is this kind of kid).