Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 303
    Given: 0

MBB formula for success?

First off... talent alone does not equal success. I think after yesterday we can all agree on that. Nobody on UNI will probably ever be in the NBA, with the exception of possibly Egleseder ONLY because he's 7 ft tall. KU has a team full of future NBA players.

I think it all starts with DEFENSE. KU was frustrated from the opening tip. UNI made Sherron Collins look like me out there. Collins was AWFUL! ISU does not play good defense for the most part. CB and MG were liabilities on defense IMO. And our team defense this year was horrible. We hardly ever helped out on defense. UNI does it wonderfully. We were a team of 5 individuals out there. If someone got beat on defense there was no help. It was as if everyone else thought... "it's not my problem!".

After defense, I think you need guys that can penetrate and dish, and I think you need good ball movement. Kwadzo was penetrating KU's defense all night and either getting fouled or finding the open shooters. DG can penetrate too, but he has trouble converting or finding the open guys. And as far as ball movement, UNI really gets great ball movement, where ISU stands around and DG dribbles all over the place.

And finally... you need guys that can knock down shots... period. You just cannot afford to leave guys like Farokmanesh, Moran, Koch, etc open from the outside. Other than Scotty on ISU, who do you really need to guard out there? Teams can just pack it in on us. And that's why Brackins was so frustrated all year. I really thought that Staiger was going to be a huge asset for us this season. I saw him having games like that Drake game most of the season. When teams packed it in on CB, like Drake did, Staiger would light up the scoreboard with 3's. We probably lost our 2 best 3 pt shooters this year in Staiger and JVB. And Boozer's no slouch from 3 either.

The great equalizer in all these NCAA tourney games thus far has been the 3 pt shot. These mid major teams are winning because of 3's. St. Mary's is doing it. Ohio beat G-town with 13 three's. And UNI beat KU by hitting their 3's and KU missing theirs.

UNI made their 3's, and KU went 6 for 23 on their 3's.... and KU still lost by only 2. If KU had made their 3's and UNI shot 6 for 23 on 3's, KU would have won by 20+ pts. That's where talent is huge. This was a two point game with UNI playing their best game of the year and KU playing probably their worst game of the year. KU had open 3's, they just couldn't make any of them like they usually do.

So... ISU needs to play great team defense, penetrate and get good ball movement on offense, and knock down shots at a good percentage. It's really not a very complicated game. DG and CC will be the ones responsible for penetrating and finding open guys. DG will really have to work hard on this. He doesn't seem to have the knack for finding open guys like CC does. Defensively, it will take the entire team, but I think this is actually one area that could improve next year without CB and MG? And as far as knocking down shots, we will depend on Scotty, JVB, Boozer, and I think we need to recruit one good shooter... maybe Barnes?

I think we can be halfway decent if GMac can get through to these guys? He has to be more tough with them and force them to be a great defensive team. He has to get rid of his 100+ page playbook, and just teach the team to move the ball. We cannot stand around and watch DG dribble for 20 seconds. That doesn't work.

It can happen, but some things definately have to change.

Starter
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 658
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 1

Re: MBB formula for success?

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    ....I think we can be halfway decent if GMac can get through to these guys? He has to be more tough with them and force them to be a great defensive team. He has to get rid of his 100+ page playbook, and just teach the team to move the ball. We cannot stand around and watch DG dribble for 20 seconds. That doesn't work.
    IMO part of Mac's problem is he got rid of the 100+ page playbook!. The first couple years all the talk was Mac's 250+ half court sets. Discipline!

After Mac's 2nd season (Wesley Johnson left & Diante/Criag just finished their freshman years), I think Mac got the bug planted in his ear (from players and asst. coaches) that Big 12 quality players didn't want to play in a structured offense & to continue with philosophies that helped him win at UNI, would make it tough to recruit at ISU.

As a reaction Mac scrapped a structured offense and the last 2 year's our offense is basically the high pic & roll. Heck it worked for Stockton & Malone- why couldn't it work at ISU! We've seen we don't have Stockton at PG or Malone at PF. A good half court offense needs movement players need to be physical. Watch teams like Mich State & Kansas - they recruit NBA talent & run great half court sets.

The other issue is Mac's relationship with his team. I think he put all his eggs in the Diante/Craig basket and that was a mistake. As a Cyclone fan, I probably should have realized our early season success this past season was a paper tiger; when after an early season game, Mac mentioned this team was mentally "fragile". IMO when a coach says that it means there are issues with guys desire to take instruction and do the little things to work toward team success.

Last edited by isucy86; 03-21-2010 at 11:00 AM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 416
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

It's about mental and physical toughness.

I'm on twitter @mookjnsn ... me, not her.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

People...you are trying to draw far too many conclusions from one game...it is a mistake to do so.

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

All-Star
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 416
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm not just talking about the UNI game. I believe that the more mentally and physically tough team wins most games, not just yesterday.

I'm on twitter @mookjnsn ... me, not her.

Pro
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,214
    Achievements:
    Created Album pictures50000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonenum1 View Post
    People...you are trying to draw far too many conclusions from one game...it is a mistake to do so.
    TRUTH! While the UNI game was great, no one will argue that, I will take another 99 games and I would bet Kansas wins at least 97 of those. UNI shot well, Collins and Aldrich were on off-shooting nights, and no one from Kansas stepped up to answer the call.

If you want a formula for success, I think its something like
    (good coach/system)^100 + (athletes)*8 + (luck) + (home court advantage) = WINS

Keepers of the Faith -- The Unknown

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 576
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by geburgess View Post
    TRUTH! While the UNI game was great, no one will argue that, I will take another 99 games and I would bet Kansas wins at least 97 of those. UNI shot well, Collins and Aldrich were on off-shooting nights, and no one from Kansas stepped up to answer the call.
    I don't know about that. UNI matches up pretty well with KU. I think UNI would win about 25% of the time on a neutral court. Let's not forget that KU had some other scares throughout the season.

Addict
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 781
    Given: 9

That style of play works well in March, where a team has all of 1 day to prepare for your style. As we saw with Mac, running sets constantly and playing that slow style doesn't seem to equate to winning in the Big 12. Coaches are too smart, and you give them 4-5 days to gameplan, and they will have you figured out.

I agree with you that it all starts with toughness on defense, but adopting a slow-tempo, mid-major type offense doesn't seem like a great formula for success in the B12.

Starter
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 1,218
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 18

Having players stay for 3-4 years and getting them to gel is huge part of UNI's success. McDermott can't get players to stick around long enough to build any team cohesiveness. Not many can pull a Kentucky and just bring in a bunch of studs and dominate.

read this post quickly - it might not last long

Recruit
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

KU shot horrendously from 3. That is why they lost. The other thing is, that KU is not loaded with NBA talent, not like their championship team from a few years back. Collins is a maybe, Aldrich yes, Taylor maybe, Morris twins maybe, all others that play much will not make it.

Addict
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 303

Quote Originally Posted by idaclone View Post
    KU shot horrendously from 3. That is why they lost. The other thing is, that KU is not loaded with NBA talent, not like their championship team from a few years back. Collins is a maybe, Aldrich yes, Taylor maybe, Morris twins maybe, all others that play much will not make it.
    Collins might be, although yesterday hurt his chances big time. Aldrich yes, Taylor maybe, Morris twins yes, and Xavier Henry for SURE.

KU would win this game 9 out of 10 times. They coudn't hit any shots, FTs included, and UNI was lights out.... and still only won by two points.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 710
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

I couldn't agree more about defense. When you can't bring in a top 25 recruiting class, you need to be solid on the defensive end. We were as bad defensively as I've ever seen, with very little offensive fire power.

Starter
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 600
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

Mr. Obvious, thanks for the post.

Pro
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 259
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 86
    Given: 38

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonenum1 View Post
    This^^

Trying to do everything the way UNI does it (recruits, playbook, practices, retention, etc) is no more a recipe for success than trying to do everything the way Cornell does it.

UNI played very well, Collins stunk it up. ---> upsets happen.

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,093
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 12

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneWarning View Post
    This^^

Trying to do everything the way UNI does it (recruits, playbook, practices, retention, etc) is no more a recipe for success than trying to do everything the way Cornell does it.

UNI played very well, Collins stunk it up. ---> upsets happen.

Exactly. We might as well sprinkle in a little Mount Saint Mary's while we are at it. GMAC has already stated he underestimated what type of player to recruit. Now unless someone wants to make the case he was talking of Wayne State type of athletes...then I think it is safe to say his admission closes up this debate.