Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 18

Toughest schedule since I was born ('85)?

If this get's merged into the gripes thread eventually I won't be surprised, but this isn't meant to be a Mac gripes post.

Watching the tourney the last couple days I started viewing our record this year in a different perspective. I'm still VERY disappointed with how we finished but some things stood out to me.

-The big 12 has never received 7 births to the NCAA tournament.

-The big 12 has only ever had 2 teams in the same division as a 1 or 2 seed 1 time (in 2003, and they were 2 south teams) 2003 was probably the only other year with the level of talent at the top as this year

-We played 13 games against tournament teams (Kstate x2, KU x2, Baylor, UNI, Duke, TAMU, Mizzou x2, Cal, Ok State, Texas x2)

-We played 6 games against top 3 seeds, and had a 1-5 record against them.

-Of our 17 losses this season, 13 were from teams in the tourney.

-SO FAR, After day one of tournament play: 5 of our losses were against teams who advanced past the first round (K-state, KU 2 times, Baylor, UNI) Only oppoenet to lose in the first round was Texas on a last second shot. Still to play are Duke, AnM, Mizzou, Cal, and Ok State.

of the 4 losses we had that weren't to tourny opponents:
    -Oklahoma and Colorado suck
    -Northwestern made the NIT and lost first round to Rhode Island
    -Texas Tech is still playing in the NIT

What's my point?
    I'm still disappointed with our season. However, in hindsight our only "bad" losses were to OU and Colorado and were by a total of 8 points. We had 1 big win and that was on the road against a top 5 K-State.

Although we certainly aren't where we want to be, I question the logic that we haven't improved since Mac's first year. Yea the wins/losses column was worse this year, but I think the team was far better than the last 3. We just ran the gauntlet in our schedule this year, and didn't finish the games we were in.

I know we are in the Big 12 and we need to compete at that level regardless, but we were very improved. Any of the past 3 teams wouldn't have been in any of the games this year that we lost by a couple possessions. If we show the same level of improvement we did from year 3 to year 4 it will be enough to make all those close games go our way and we're in the top 4 or 5 teams in the Big 12 (and we're dancing next year). I don't think it's likely with the losses of Strap and Brackins, but I think our guard play may be the best next year since Mac got here, and I have constantly been told that college ball is a guards game.

I know many will call me out for being an overly optimistic Mac backer for this. I might even be called an insider (I'm not). But since Mac is here next year, I want to have something to hope for. I don't want to write off the next 4 year's as rebuilding and consider our basketball team a lost cause. After looking at our season and who it was we actually played and lost to it sucks a lot less. (I know it still sucks) But I'm not willing to assume that since Mac hasn't done it in 4 years (this one being the toughest one ever) that we can't make it.

Sorry that was long, sunshine rant over.

"Blamo"! The new CF approved swear word.

All-Star
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

Re: Toughest schedule since I was born ('85)?

Quote Originally Posted by vmbplayer View Post
    If this get's merged into the gripes thread eventually I won't be surprised, but this isn't meant to be a Mac gripes post.

This is actually one of the only posts I've read that makes sense in support of McD and gives some sort of hope.

You actually back it up with tangible things and it makes sense, not just "McD will be here for a long time, get used to it."

Still not re-upping my season tickets (quit 2 years ago), but you at least show a ray of hope.

Thanks.

Starter
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 667
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

We played and beat Houston as well. They are a 13 seed.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,765
    Given: 1,486

That was a really interesting post. Thanks for the thought you put into it.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Chile Mac is Back!
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 473
    Given: 919

I think that is helpful, but what was tough this year is not beating teams we "could" have beat. In perspective though, yeah it was a tough year schedule wise.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by LindenCy View Post
    I think that is helpful, but what was tough this year is not beating teams we "could" have beat. In perspective though, yeah it was a tough year schedule wise.
    We still have the retention problems, and the lack of teamwork, the intermittent spaced-out spells and such, but this is at least one factor that doesn't make me feel horrible about how things look.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 563
    Given: 306

Yeah, we really did not have a single bad loss this year. This was a tough schedule.

Unfortunately, we had very, very few good wins..... and we had a ton of opportunities to get them.

To be a good basketball team, you have to beat good teams, not just the bad ones. We could not beat good teams, we were definitely not a good basketball team. We were a pretty mediocre team, it was almost crazy how we nearly always beat bad teams and lost to all the good teams (obviously the one outlier being the K-State game).

Legend
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 300
    Given: 1,162

Watching the tourney the last couple days I started viewing our record this year in a different perspective. I'm still VERY disappointed with how we finished but some things stood out to me.

-The big 12 has only ever had 2 teams in the same division as a 1 or 2 seed 1 time (in 2003, and they were 2 south teams) 2003 was probably the only other year with the level of talent at the top as this year

-We played 13 games against tournament teams (Kstate x2, KU x2, Baylor, UNI, Duke, TAMU, Mizzou x2, Cal, Ok State, Texas x2)

-SO FAR, After day one of tournament play: 5 of our losses were against teams who advanced past the first round (K-state, KU 2 times, Baylor, UNI) Only oppoenet to lose in the first round was Texas on a last second shot. Still to play are Duke, AnM, Mizzou, Cal, and Ok State.

What's my point?
    I'm still disappointed with our season. However, in hindsight our only "bad" losses were to OU and Colorado and were by a total of 8 points. We had 1 big win and that was on the road against a top 5 K-State.

Although we certainly aren't where we want to be, I question the logic that we haven't improved since Mac's first year. Yea the wins/losses column was worse this year, but I think the team was far better than the last 3. We just ran the gauntlet in our schedule this year, and didn't finish the games we were in.

I know we are in the Big 12 and we need to compete at that level regardless, but we were very improved. Any of the past 3 teams wouldn't have been in any of the games this year that we lost by a couple possessions. If we show the same level of improvement we did from year 3 to year 4 it will be enough to make all those close games go our way and we're in the top 4 or 5 teams in the Big 12 (and we're dancing next year). I don't think it's likely with the losses of Strap and Brackins, but I think our guard play may be the best next year since Mac got here, and I have constantly been told that college ball is a guards game.

I know many will call me out for being an overly optimistic Mac backer for this. I might even be called an insider (I'm not). But since Mac is here next year, I want to have something to hope for. I don't want to write off the next 4 year's as rebuilding and consider our basketball team a lost cause. After looking at our season and who it was we actually played and lost to it sucks a lot less. (I know it still sucks) But I'm not willing to assume that since Mac hasn't done it in 4 years (this one being the toughest one ever) that we can't make it.

Great post and I completely agree. While it frustrating losing basically all of the close games against good opponents (especially at Hilton) it is refreshing to be able to watch a road game and stay competitive till the end with good teams.

I truly believe if we'd have pulled out that @KState game towards the beginning of the season it'd have been a much different season, even with the injuries.

While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 21

Good post. I don't agree with your argument, but at least you didn't try and sell us "integrity". I wish JP would fact used some of your facts in his "Yipee! I extended GM's contract" email, rather than playing the integrity card. In that case, I may have felt better about the extension.

Pro
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,214
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album pictures50000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

What's my point?

Couldn't agree with you more! I haven't given up all hope yet for next year unlike many people. ISU is still, and always will be, my team.

Keepers of the Faith -- The Unknown

Speechless
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 131

It was a pretty good sched but those Big 8 years were really, really good and our noncon was nothing to write home about this year.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by gogagig View Post
    Good post. I don't agree with your argument, but at least you didn't try and sell us "integrity". I wish JP would fact used some of your facts in his "Yipee! I extended GM's contract" email, rather than playing the integrity card. In that case, I may have felt better about the extension.
    That's the sorts of argument that probably would have played better in general.

The record and the player turnover still wouldn't sit well with most, but it would at least feel like it had a better context.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,025
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100
    Given: 10

Nobody said we didn't have a tough conference schedule, however the non-conference was pretty weak. Bottom line is another losing season and no post season fun, and the continued excuses are getting old.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

This would be a good argument ... if McD was slowly but surely improving the program. If he was bringing back the core of the team that played in the close games. If the players stopped leaving. If Hilton still held some magic.

If the AD's "vote of confidence" was actually based on the state of the program and not on the state of the budget.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bankruptcy_monopoly.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	7046  

Starter
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 798
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 71

When you say a team like CU sucks, you do realize that they played largely the same schedule ISU did and they finished ahead of ISU. No they didn't play Duke or UNI, but they did play Gonzaga away from Boulder.

The problem with your premise is that the Big 12 isn't magically going to become the WAC if we keep our coach. We have a coach that has to perform in the Big 12. Thus far, he hasn't.