Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 214
    Given: 0

What we're GAINING next season

There has been a lot of discussion about all of the guys that are leaving, and I'm always a little saddened to see guys leave before their time. But I thought I'd write a little something about what we're gaining because I think McD did a great job of addressing needs.

Lets look at our weaknesses last season - we turned the ball over, shot it terribly, were bad at setting up teammates, didn't have guys that could penetrate and get to the rim, and we didn't have any athleticism on the inside (unless we're talking about 6'7" 195 W. Johnson) and our guards were very slight.

I think that McD brought in guys to address all of these needs based on the scouting reports. Brister is a strong guy with the ball that sets up his teammates and can penetrate. Garrett can control an offense, set up his teammates, get to the rack and score it. Staiger is a good passer and shooter and has excellent height and weight. Boozer can shoot and defend and is also thick. And of course Brackins supplys an athletic big man who can block shots and score in a variety of ways.

Here's the things we struggled with. We were dead last in the Big 12 in scoring (60.1 ppg) FG % (39.0%) 3 point FG% (29.0%) Assists (10.56 per) and A/TO ratio (.70).

I mean that's awful. Really bad. But we were also fourth in scoring defense, FG% defense, and 5th in rebounding. If we can maintain those numbers and maybe bump them up a bit, you have to think our 8th in blocks will go up. We have a good foundation laid for defense after the first season.

If we're even a throughly mediocre offensive team in the Big 12 it will be a huge improvement and could translate into us being a bubble team next year. It's sad to see guys go, but the future is bright and sometimes you have to let the guys make their own decisions in life.

Rookie
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 466
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Re: What we're GAINING next season

I agree with you BryceC, except I'm not sure we have any "great" shooters yet. I think we are improved, but there aren't any "Jake Sullivan" types being brought in that I can see. Time will tell

All-Star
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

i think were bringing in some good shooters with staiger, and boozer for sure. we are also gaining alex, which should be some good size next year. ive been friends with alex since 7th grade and i can tell you that he can shoot the ball. dont be surprised with him at all. he should be a good center for us next year.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 606
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

On a scale of 1-100 on how excited I was for next season before McIntosh, Dunson and Marsden left (100 being wetting my pants with excitement). I was about a 95. Now that I know they are leaving, I'm a 94.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 214

Quote Originally Posted by CYKXBUT View Post
    I agree with you BryceC, except I'm not sure we have any "great" shooters yet. I think we are improved, but there aren't any "Jake Sullivan" types being brought in that I can see. Time will tell
    Well, Jake holds almost every ISU 3 point shooting record, so it's unlikely we'll see a player like Jake for a while. I'm not anticipating anything like that from any of the guys. But we certainly should be able to help our terrible percentages with the guys being brought in.

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Everything I've heard about Staiger is that he's a great shooter. How does everyone think he'll do in his freshman season?

Asst. Regional Manager
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 934
    Given: 846

There were two things we did horribly that caused everything else to go to crap.

1). We did not move the ball around well. Other teams could double team our dribble because they knew our inability to pass.

2). We did not move without the ball. We waited for someone else to take the initiative. We need a guy to be the catalyst next year to keep things fluent.

That being said. There were flashes of things that still have me pumped for next year; When Taylor is making 3s instead of turnovers, when Wesley and Clark are having high flying dunks and rebounds, when Jiri's inside game was working.

@RandomGeoFacts

Recruit Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I have played against and watched boozer play..now this was a couple years ago and then he wasn't all that good, he just had a last name thas why people watched him, including me.....he obviously has gotten better.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I think Brackins will be an immediate starter. I also expect big things from Garrett. Staiger may be good in a few years but I don't expect any immediate impact. I think both Brister and Boozer were "stretches" and probably will not be able to contribute anything significant (and will probably not be around long term). Just my opinion.

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 509
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

Quote Originally Posted by mjones34 View Post
    There were two things we did horribly that caused everything else to go to crap.

1). We did not move the ball around well. Other teams could double team our dribble because they knew our inability to pass.

2). We did not move without the ball. We waited for someone else to take the initiative. We need a guy to be the catalyst next year to keep things fluent.

That being said. There were flashes of things that still have me pumped for next year; When Taylor is making 3s instead of turnovers, when Wesley and Clark are having high flying dunks and rebounds, when Jiri's inside game was working.
    If you think last year's team didn't move without the ball and didn't move the ball around, then Morgan's last year our guys wore cement shoes. I thought I saw a major improvement in that area from Morgan's last year to McD's first year. I agree with you though that it can definitely improve. I think getting a point guard that can start the offense without getting knocked off the ball everytime he crossed half court will help us tremendously.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 775
    Given: 488

I was not impressed with our ability to pass the ball around. it would be nice to be impressed but we have a long ways to go. Corey was too small, Mike was too out of control, others like Dodie were too shy, some were too thin like Gray to muscle out to the ball, some could not move fast like Ross and Brock. I have seen UNI teams be much better than we were last year. Thius will have to improve to run a better offense. Our defense was much better than our offense.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Bench Warmer Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone#1 View Post
    I think Brackins will be an immediate starter. I also expect big things from Garrett. Staiger may be good in a few years but I don't expect any immediate impact. I think both Brister and Boozer were "stretches" and probably will not be able to contribute anything significant (and will probably not be around long term). Just my opinion.
    I realize that this is just your personal opinion but you need to realize that our opionions don't mean squat. The only opinion that counts is that of the coaching staff that are putting together a TEAM not a group of individuals. Each piece, if it works with the whole makes a winning team. I trust GMac to put together a group that will make a team that wins.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 93.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,844
    Given: 869

I am really excited about the additions for next year. It's too bad that Dunson, McIntosh and Marsden are leaving though. Whatever happened on the court is secondary. I'm glad they chose the Cyclones, and I wish them well.

Rookie Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ArathornClone View Post
    If you think last year's team didn't move without the ball and didn't move the ball around, then Morgan's last year our guys wore cement shoes. I thought I saw a major improvement in that area from Morgan's last year to McD's first year. I agree with you though that it can definitely improve. I think getting a point guard that can start the offense without getting knocked off the ball everytime he crossed half court will help us tremendously.

I just didn't see this at all. We had WAY more assists the year before.

All-Star
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 782
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

I always thought guys like Ben Jacobsen, Brooks McKowen, or Grant Stout wouldn't amount to much but it was those guys that have smoked us the past few years. I'm guessin whoever is out on the floor next year has the most to contribute to a team