Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Beer Wars

Since it is St. Patty's day, here is a thread about beer.

I got this movie from Netflix last week. It has really changed my perspective of the beer industry as a whole. I never realized some of the "tricks of the trade" (ie political power, grocery market monopolies, imbalance of the three tier system, etc.) that the big three have over the rest of the industry.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY-Bg5Odi0M"]YouTube - Beer Wars Movie Trailer[/ame]

I would encourage beer drinkers to at least watch the trailer for this movie.

I for one will do my best to not drink any beer that is associated with the big three (sorry Stella, Blue Moon, etc.). I fortunately have quite a few local breweries that I will be supporting more (as well as making my own ).

Has anyone else seen this movie?

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,211
    Given: 116

Re: Beer Wars

Streamed it through Netflix this past weekend, I liked it, but I thought the best parts were when they were talking to the owner of Dog Fish Head.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 446
    Given: 304

If Leinenkugel's is part of the big three, then I'm sorry, I'm just going to not be able to oblige...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,211
    Given: 116

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    If Leinenkugel's is part of the big three, then I'm sorry, I'm just going to not be able to oblige...
    They've been owned by Miller I think for awhile.

All-Star
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 77
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14

The only advice worth taking in my opinion about any beverage (beer, wine, or spirit) drink what you enjoy and tastes good to you. Don't let anyone ever tell you what you should or shouldn't be drinking.

When all is said and done, more is said than done

Starter
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 279
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by HGPuck View Post
    The only advice worth taking in my opinion about any beverage (beer, wine, or spirit) drink what you enjoy and tastes good to you. Don't let anyone ever tell you what you should or shouldn't be drinking.
    I guess if you enjoy shopping at Wal-Mart then by all means continue. However, I will not step into a Wal-Mart unless absolutely necessary.

I want my money to go to the smaller guys who have everything on the line trying to live the dream and not the large corporations whose goal is to destroy or consume anything in their path.

Starter
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I've seen it twice now and I think that it does a good job of pointing fingers at the "Bad Guys", while also showcasing some good brewers like Sam from Dogfish and Jim from Sam Adams. I still think that it could have been done better. For me it is about drinking quality beer. It wouldn't matter if Budweiser was making the most tasty beer out there. The fact is that Bud makes a beer that tastes like water and that is why I will never drink it. Not because of the marketing tactics they use.

I do think that Americans are slowly getting into craft beer, though. And with the new legislation in Iowa that allows for less restriction on high ABV beers, I think that this State's beer selection will only get better.

Starter
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by HGPuck View Post
    To your point, I agree that people should be drinking what makes THEM happy. But I think that if people opened their minds and started drinking beers with some flavor, then they would be more happy for it.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by CO4Cy View Post
    I guess if you enjoy shopping at Wal-Mart then by all means continue. However, I will not step into a Wal-Mart unless absolutely necessary.

I want my money to go to the smaller guys who have everything on the line trying to live the dream and not the large corporations whose goal is to destroy or consume anything in their path.
    I get what you're saying but its booze man, for the most part cheap and cold wins out.

Thumbs Up

So you love capitalism up until someone actually achieve their dream then you hate it. Sam Walton was once a small store owner too.

@LeSchmick

XBox Live: Le Schmick

Pro
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 366
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 17

Free beer is my favorite!

2009 FLHR - Vivid Black

I don't sweat the petty things,... I pet the sweaty things

Pro
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 730
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 1

It is good to have these documentaries out there to help level the playing field. I would agree though...drink what you want to drink and not because some one tells you that you should drink it. Obviously I side on the craft brew position, but it goes both ways.

I found it hilarious that the people didn't even know "their" beer. Also found it very infuriating that the big companies are putting out these fake craft brews. They are easy to spot though, because they look so generic they can't be real.

All-Star
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 77
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14

I think my thoughts were misconstrued a little bit. I am talking both about advertising and the opinions of other people. I am all for trying as many things as you can and seeing what you like. That is exactly my advice actually, but I would never constrict myself based on anything other than how I like the product. And if you like a product better because of who makes it that still falls within my line of thinking, because it probably makes you enjoy it more.

When all is said and done, more is said than done

Pro
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,214
    Achievements:
    Created Album pictures50000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Sorry, as much as I like even competition... I'm also a poor college student, and Natty Light is from the Big 3.

Keepers of the Faith -- The Unknown

Pro
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 653
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 3TrueFans View Post
    They've been owned by Miller I think for awhile.
    Leinie's has been owned by SABMiller since 1988.

Leinies, like a lot of small breweries in the 80's, was nearly squeezed out of business by the large distributors. They realized in the early 1980's that they'd have to start doing craft brews (at that point it was all Leinie's original lager and Leinie's light). After Bill Leinenkugel stepped down as president in 1987, his cousin, Paul Mayer, oversaw the sale to Miller in 88.

To their credit, Miller saw the benefit of keeping Leinie's as a separate entity (much like Chipotle is owned by McDonalds - but you never hear about that) for some craft brews. To that end, they gave the reigns to Jake Leinenkugel, who's been running it ever since. Most of the brews people associate with Leinie's - Honey Weiss, Berry Weiss, Creamy Dark, Red, Sunset, the seasonals - all emerged in the 1990's, under Miller's direction.

Even though SABMiller is the overseer, 95% of all Leinie's is still brewed in Chippewa Falls, with the remaining 5% coming out of 10th Street in Milwaukee - former home of the Blatz and later the PBR breweries. I still heckle my dad about not going into business with Jake - they grew up and went through school together in Chip Falls.

Honestly, I'm not a fan of the Big 3. If you looked in my fridge right now, you'd find a mix of Leinies (craft subsidiary of Miller), Shiner Frost (Spoetzl Brewery, Shiner, TX), Yuengling Lager/Black & Tan (Yuengling Brewery, Pottsville, PA), Sam Adams (Boston Beer Co., Boston, MA), Guinness (St. James Gate Brewery, Dublin, Ireland) St. Arnold's Spring Bock (St. Arnold's Brewing Co., Houston, TX), and Texas Bock (Superfan Brewery, my kitchen/driveway, TX).

Still, to each their own.* As long as you like what you're tasting. I just like to try as many different types of beer as possible, especially locals - Rush River, New Glarus, Summit, New Belgium, Boulevard are all awesome small brewers.

*Unless you're Flag Guy and choose to drink Smirnoff Ice over some Boulevard Wheat. Then you deserve to be heckled mercilessly.

Last edited by superfan; 03-17-2010 at 04:26 PM.