Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 593
    Given: 365

The Drive

Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome back to Lawrence, Kansas and this fantastic Big 12 battle between the Cyclones and Jayhawks.

As it stands now, it looks like Kansas may win 3 straight against Iowa State - wining in OT back in '05 and going to Ames and delivering a spanking last season. Today they're up by 7 with 2:35 left to play…31-24.

Yet again, ISU faces a season of jubilation or disappointment. Win and they obtain that ever-so-elusive Big 12 North title and a date with Oklahoma in the Big 12 title game. Lose and it’s a lower-tier bowl game. Yet again, the decider comes down to the final game of the season - in the final minutes.

Kansas just completed a 76 yard, 12 play drive capped with a 4 yard TD run to break the tie.

The kickoff is in the air, Singleton has it and...drops the ball! He's fumbling around with it, picks it up but is quickly brought down at the Cyclone 3 yard line. Not a good start for the Cyclones.

Here comes Bret Meyer and the offense onto the field, having gone 3 and out on the previous 2 drives. They setup in a 3 wide formation with Scales as the single back.

Meyer fakes to Scales, looks right and fires - complete to Sumrall for a first down at the 14, yet he didn't get out of bounds.

The offense hurries to the line, Meyer barks out a play - this time from the gun. Meyer gets the snap, pumps to the left...the toss the ball out to Scales in the right flat! Scales heads for the sideline, then...WOW...skips and spins back to the left to evade a would-be-tackler. He's got some room! To the 25...30...finally pushed out of bounds by the safety at the Cyclone 38 yard line.

With 1:49 left on the clock, the Cyclones just may have a shot!

Back in the gun, Meyer changes the play at the line - moves from under center to the gun. Blythe in motion from the left side of the field, moving inside Hamilton.

Meyer catches the snap, looks right - pumps toward Sumrall - looks back left - lets a deep ball go toward Blythe. Leaping....CAUGHT! Down at the Jayhawk 29 yard line, McFarland dialed up a Meyer-to-Blythe connection and puts the Cyclones in business.

Timeout, Iowa State with 1:30 left to play. Iowa State has just one timeout remaining.

The Cyclones return to the field and lineup in a 2-wide, double tight set and Scales behind Meyer in the backfield.

Hand-off to Scales off the left side, gets a nice block from Barkema and he's down to the 24. The Cyclones quickly get back to the line.

Quick snap and pitch to Scales to the right, catches the Jayhawks off-guard - Jason gets the corner and is pushed out of bounds at the 18. Clock stopped at :58

First down, Cyclones!

Coming out of the huddle, the Cyclones line up in a 5-wide set with Meyer in the gun. Ball is snapped, Meyer looks left then…darts up the middle…QB draw. Only a pickup of 3 yards.

Quickly back at the line, Meyer in the gun again – ball snapped – bubble screen right to Sumrall – breaks an arm tackle! Cuts back inside and is brought down at the 6. Clearly the Cyclones had 2 plays called in that huddle as they got this one off quickly, again catching Kansas by surprise.

First down with :33 left and the clock briefly stopped.

Meyer quickly gets to the line and spikes the ball. 2nd and goal from the 6 with :29 seconds left!

Scales back in this time and the Cyclones trot to the line and setup in a 4 wide formation, Blythe to the left and Sumrall, Hamilton and Franklin to the right. Meyer drops back, pump fakes toward Blythe…fires a rocket over the middle – he’s got Sumrall….and….it’s…incomplete! Boy, Meyer zinged that ball in there and it was just too much for Sumrall to handle – who had a step on his defender.

3rd and goal and the clock is stopped at :21.

Same formation, Meyer in the gun. Scales goes in motion, in the slot next to Blythe on the left. Ball snapped, Meyer rolls toward the left – nothing doing. He’s got a defender in his face! Barely escapes a sack and scampers back to the right. Push up the middle from the Jayhawks, Meyer eludes another tackle….rolling…looking…finally throws it away. A near disaster for the Cyclones as Meyer was as far back as the 15 yard line.

It all comes down to this – 4th and goal with 5 seconds left.

Out of the huddle come the Cyclones, 4 wide again, this time with Blythe and Sumrall to the right and Hamilton and Franklin to the left. Meyer under center this time…

Ball is snapped…Meyer drops back, looking at Blythe – lets it go….and…it’s….CAUGHT! A one-handed catch by Todd Blythe in the corner of the end zone. Meyer was looking his way the whole time and laid the ball beautify over the hands of the defender and right into Todd’s outstretched left hand. Much like that catch Todd had against A&M a few years ago, his other hand never touched the football. What a play by this senior wide receiver! Looks like this one is headed to overtime – something Cyclone fans are all too familiar with.

The kicking team trots onto the field. What’s this? Chizik is sprinting onto the field, waving his hands, demanding a timeout. He looks very upset and throws his headset in the direction of offensive coordinator McFarland. Gene Chizik is livid about something.

It now looks like he’s gathered the offense around him. If I didn’t know any better, I’d say it looks like the Cyclones are going to attempt a 2 point try here. Bold move by the first year head coach if they do.

And that’s exactly what is going to happen as Meyer and Co. take the field!

Lined up in the same formation as the last play and Meyer in the gun, the Cyclones have decided the game will end on this very play. Ball snapped, Meyer looking back at Blythe again! No…pump fake…then a quick look back left and fires…looks short…no….Hamilton is coming back for it…dives…and…CAUGHT? I can’t tell…no ruling yet from the officials. They’re discussing it…the head official now steps away and it’s…A CATCH!

Looked like it was a stop fade comeback to Hamilton all along. The ball was a little short though and Hamilton made an amazing catch! The fans here in Lawrence are booing and the folks in Cardinal & Gold that made the trip

The Cyclones have done it ladies and gentlemen – their first outright Big 12 North title. What’s more important, they get the choke-monkey off their backs – hopefully for good.

When asked what happened on the sidelines after that final touchdown and why he went for 2, Chizik had this to say…
    “McFarland sent the kicking unit back on the field before checking with me. Now I loved Coach McFarland, but I’m the **** head coach and I make those decisions. I didn’t want to waste the timeout there just in case Kansas lined up in a defense we didn’t like.

Why I went for 2? That’s simple, two reasons.

First, I felt we had the momentum and had a great play for that scenario.

Second, our fans have been through a few too many overtime games to end the season and I didn’t feel like subjecting themselves to that, even though we would’ve stomped the Jayhawks in OT too.”

Rookie
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 99
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 2

Re: The Drive

Haha great read...only if that could happen for real?!?!?!?

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Second, our fans have been through a few too many overtime games to end the season and I didn’t feel like subjecting themselves to that, even though we would’ve stomped the Jayhawks in OT too.
    This just made me laugh.

"Seven minutes to glory."

Pro Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Are you sure about that drive? I think we should have run a qb draw for a loss of 3, followed by Scales off tackle for no gain. On third down, take a 10 yard loss on a sack and then punt it away with 1 minute left, hoping the D can get the ball back. Instead, they give up a 70 yard run and game over.

Oh, I forgot we have a new head coach. My bad!!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 593
    Given: 365

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone62 View Post
    This just made me laugh.
    I assumed that part would get a few chuckles.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 147
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

That's nice, but i hope it's not that close with kansas anymore.

Pro
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 820
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 74

play calling was all to familiar...although there was at least a bubble screen

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by PolkCityClone View Post
    Are you sure about that drive? I think we should have run a qb draw for a loss of 3, followed by Scales off tackle for no gain. On third down, take a 10 yard loss on a sack and then punt it away with 1 minute left, hoping the D can get the ball back. Instead, they give up a 70 yard run and game over.

Oh, I forgot we have a new head coach. My bad!!
    See you forgot the part where, early in the game, the QB draw worked for like a first down, and it worked a couple more times so our coaches used that valuable play. Then came halftime, and therefore the other team made these things called adjustments, something our coaches never heard of.

So then the QB draw loses yardage the whole second half, but darnit it worked a couple times in the first half, so it is a good play.

Jeffrey A Crawford