Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 13

I'm shocked!

I thought sure when I logged on this AM that I would see a multiple page thread about about the teams that finished behind ISU(I count 4) getting better seeds than us.

My guess is number one factor was strength of schedule. Since they usually claim most of the work is done before the conference tournament, losing in the quarters without our best player shouldn't have been a big issue.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 524
    Given: 1,247

Re: I'm shocked!

Quote Originally Posted by gizzsdad View Post
    I thought sure when I logged on this AM that I would see a multiple page thread about about the teams that finished behind ISU(I count 4) getting better seeds than us.

My guess is number one factor was strength of schedule. Since they usually claim most of the work is done before the conference tournament, losing in the quarters without our best player shouldn't have been a big issue.
    Unless the best player won't be back (see Purdue on the mens side).

We certainly didn't get the respect we deserve for getting 2nd place in by far the best conference in the country.

Legend
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 432
    Given: 300

Quote Originally Posted by gizzsdad View Post

I think most of us saw the writing on the wall when Lacey wasn't able to play in KC, thus the outrage is way less than it would have been if we had picked up another win or two.

I also have a theory that we ended up in Dayton because of a conspiracy by the committee to set up match-ups with the UConn juggernaut that have some sort of story they can sell to make it more compelling. Rematch of '99 in the sweet sixteen is pretty good in that regard.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 143
    Given: 28

Seed is what we deserved for playing the sisters of the poor in the non-conf.

We guard Riley on that screen play better, beat OSU, and we end up with a 3 seed instead.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 388
    Given: 58

Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    I think most of us saw the writing on the wall when Lacey wasn't able to play in KC, thus the outrage is way less than it would have been if we had picked up another win or two.

I also have a theory that we ended up in Dayton because of a conspiracy by the committee to set up match-ups with the UConn juggernaut that have some sort of story they can sell to make it more compelling. Rematch of '99 in the sweet sixteen is pretty good in that regard.
    Yeah, they have to try and make this thing interesting somehow.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 436
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post

While I certainly think that if we face UConn in the Sweet Sixteen they will "revisit" that game from 1999 it won't be the central story.

We got a bad seed because of strength of schedule and while it would have been possible to throw us in the KC region that would have meant a 3 seed so the earliest we would have rematched Nebraska again would have been the Elite Eight. Not sure the Big XII wanted that (maximize potential for as many teams to get far in the tournament) and I know on the Men's side teams from the same conference can't face each other until the Sweet Sixteen so that probably played a factor as well.

I also think the potential ISU vs UConn matchup would be an ESPN dream just because of our up and coming status (3rd in attendance behind UConn and Tenn) and we are probably one of the few teams in the country that could reasonably give UConn a game. Not saying we can beat them but we certainly have a coach who will get a lot out of the girls if we make it that far.

Wide Right & Natty Lite - Loyal Sons, Forever True. With beer!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 337
    Given: 138

Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post
    Personally, i dont think that should matter so much. Object is to pick the best teams for the tourney and to place the best teams highest. When comparing teams in the same conference, it doesnt matter who they played in the non-conference. ISU proved they were the second best team in the toughest conference in the country.

Starter
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 371
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 31

Look at the bigger picture. This team has already over achieved. Show up and support them in their home games. Had you been able to sign us up for a home game, two if we're lucky, in the tournament, everyone would have been thrilled with it. Few people expected them to return to the tournament this year. Be happy with what they have done, not complaining about what could have been.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 337
    Given: 138

Quote Originally Posted by heyguy85 View Post
    Look at the bigger picture. This team has already over achieved. Show up and support them in their home games. Had you been able to sign us up for a home game, two if we're lucky, in the tournament, everyone would have been thrilled with it. Few people expected them to return to the tournament this year. Be happy with what they have done, not complaining about what could have been.
    that goes without saying, overall, yes, great to be there in what was supposed to be a down year. But we did get screwed.

stupid hawk running the committee....

Speechless
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 349

Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post

We guard Riley on that screen play better, beat OSU, and we end up with a 3 seed instead.

Yep, the game was bigger than we thought and we were so close if we had made a defensive change in the last three minutes. I bet BF is upset with himself in the end. Riley did the same play four times in a row. Curious as to why we went the samne direction to force her to the middle in each case.

Playing UCONN is like the Washington Generals playing Harlem Globetrotters at this point. No one is close.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124
    Given: 257

Yeah, one and done in the b12 tourny did not help our cause.

Anyway - we are in the dance and if we can make any kind of run it should be a very special finish to a great season that took us farther than we predicted!

Legend
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 197
    Given: 116

It seems that the seeding committees (both MBB and WBB) give significant consideration to how a team is playing as they finish the year. The committee guy who spoke on the Sunday selection show said as much. I agree completely with that philosophy.

Lacey hasn't been playing, and without her, ISU is not the #2 team in the Big 12, and I think a case could be made that they are not a top 20 team without her. She will not have played in a game in quite some time, and will not be in game shape for the first couple of tourney games. Given this, and perhaps the non-con schedule, I was expecting a 4/5 seed, and possibly slipping to a 6. IMO, ISU is very fortunate to be a #4 playing at home.

Last edited by jbhtexas; 03-16-2010 at 10:47 AM.
    "Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Pro
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 88
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 19

the committee put us in the Dayton regional because that was where Bill used to coach and they wanted him to get back to his roots...at least we can think that. You have to play UCONN sooner or later.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day".-Frank Sinatra

@cyfert26 on Twitter

Starter
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by heyguy85 View Post
    Exactly--well said! The team members who were interviewed were not the least concerned about a possible meeting with Conn. Instead, they were thrilled to be playing at Hilton and concentrating upon beating Lehigh, which is precisely the right attitude. For those who are complaining about our seed and being in the UConn regional, answer this question: how many teams in the tourney are playing essentially home games for their first two games? Worrying about UConn is premature, to say the least.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

To be the best you must play the best! This is always a great recruiting tool. To have ISU mentioned in the same category as Connecticut is important. How great is it to tell a recruit your competition is the best and you get to play in the best conference in the country.