Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Article on Lick...last 3 paragraphs

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/art...ches-one-theme

please merge if already posted, but I saw this on CR and thought it very appropriate.

Read the last part of Keeler's article on Lickliter - specifically about the conversation he had with Lick about Butler and how he thought Lick's heart never left Butler.

I have long thought that McD's heart never followed him to Ames from UNI, and I think that is one of the major problems he is having at ISU, and the reason he will never really find success here. His heart is just not in it.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 306
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Article on Lick...last 3 paragraphs

Quote Originally Posted by TheHelgo View Post
    Keeler: Four Iowa basketball coaches, one theme | desmoinesregister.com | The Des Moines Register

please merge if already posted, but I saw this on CR and thought it very appropriate.

Read the last part of Keeler's article on Lickliter - specifically about the conversation he had with Lick about Butler and how he thought Lick's heart never left Butler.

I have long thought that McD's heart never followed him to Ames from UNI, and I think that is one of the major problems he is having at ISU, and the reason he will never really find success here. His heart is just not in it.
    FACT: You could not be more wrong.

Starter
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Yeah I dont question MAC's heart

Brain maybe heart no

Last edited by CycloneJoe; 03-16-2010 at 05:12 PM.

If you have a problem - if no one else can help - and if you can find
    them - maybe you can hire: The A-Team.

Addict
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 710
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 210
    Given: 52

Keeler: Four Iowa basketball coaches, one theme | desmoinesregister.com | The Des Moines Register

I would guarentee that McD wants to win more than anyone on this board. His heart is in it and you can see that with his players.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 748
    Given: 522

Yeah, I don't question McDermott's heart or desire to win here - it's just pretty clear at this point that he just doesn't know how.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

All-Star
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 465
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 72

[QUOTE=kg-cyclone;1609763]FACT: You could not be more wrong.[/QUOTE]

This may very well be FACT, however the coaches heart does not often win games. At least not in this case.

“It’s beyond pride. It’s a restored trust. There’s a confidence again, a passion that teeters on swagger. More than anything, (Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads) has restored the Iowa State “it” factor, the steadfast belief that it is great to be a Cyclone...the man’s enthusiasm is genuine to the core...”
    – columnist Sean Keeler, Des Moines Register

Speechless
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 556
    Given: 357

Quote Originally Posted by erikbj View Post
    I would guarentee that McD wants to win more than anyone on this board. His heart is in it and you can see that with his players.
    Charles Dickens Quotes - The Quotations Page

TALE OF TWO CITIES
    It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to heaven, we were all going direct the other way - in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.
    Charles Dickens

********AMES***************

So what is it going to take to actually compete in the Big 12 which means win half the games and be solid at Hilton? Just what changes will be worth 5-10 more points differential that we foresee coming on the horizon.

Right now we need a better overall gameplan, better finish to our offensive sets, better entry passing, more defending the perimeter, more players, more hard nose, better out of bound plays, better game finishes, better free throw shooting.

************IOWA CITY********

Lick also had a litany of problems that he needed to fix, but was he ever going to fix them adequately? How was he ever going to recruit? We will not know for now. So how fast can the new guy fix it?

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 243
    Given: 88

Yeah, I am going to have to pile on with everyone else here and say I have no question that his heart is in this. The guy looks just like I feel. He obviously cares, and he cares a lot. I think the issue is managing a different kind of player and dealing with the egos. That is something he didn't have at UNI, and he is struggling with it here. That is driving player turnover which is driving poor results on the floor.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by aeroclone View Post
    Yeah, I am going to have to pile on with everyone else here and say I have no question that his heart is in this. The guy looks just like I feel. He obviously cares, and he cares a lot. I think the issue is managing a different kind of player and dealing with the egos. That is something he didn't have at UNI, and he is struggling with it here. That is driving player turnover which is driving poor results on the floor.
    That's pretty accurate other than this...

Speechless
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 415
    Given: 64

I consider that pretty serious accusation to be throwing around with no evidence to back it up.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 415
    Given: 64

Quote Originally Posted by kg-cyclone View Post
    Than what is driving player turnover KG? I mean really, what is it? I have been on your "side" for a long time but these short little statements are worthless. Any time it is even said something may be Mac's fault or something he is responsible for you post some 5 word statement indicating it is not, yet you never bring any facts to say doesn't fall onto him. Somehow, somewhere, there is a mismanagement of player. Either he is recruiting the wrong guys or there is a disconnect when he gets here, I don't know. The players certainly do not feel a loyalty to him. Up to this point I was willing to call a lot of things luck. We have moved beyond bad luck and have moved to a trend. When things like this happen this often it is a pattern.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 583
    Given: 510

Quote Originally Posted by kg-cyclone View Post
    You are quick to point out something wrong with no explanation.

Holy crap! I'm late. What he said.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 556
    Given: 357

Tough question, but too many different people have left for their own greener pastures.

Could he be running the team as an aloof CEO and the players are then choosing just to switch jobs at another location?

Is he truly involved in the players' lives or his he raising his own family and recruiting and does not have time to be rooted deep with some of the players?

I only mention that Wayne was Dad to his players and maybe the young type of players we have want Dad types for coach.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    Than what is driving player turnover KG? I mean really, what is it? I have been on your "side" for a long time but these short little statements are worthless. Any time it is even said something may be Mac's fault or something he is responsible for you post some 5 word statement indicating it is not, yet you never bring any facts to say doesn't fall onto him. Somehow, somewhere, there is a mismanagement of player. Either he is recruiting the wrong guys or there is a disconnect when he gets here, I don't know. The players certainly do not feel a loyalty to him. Up to this point I was willing to call a lot of things luck. We have moved beyond bad luck and have moved to a trend. When things like this happen this often it is a pattern.
    Excellent question...I don't have a definite answer for you. What I can tell you is that is not just ISU. The name on the jersey doesn't mean anything. I've talked to several people about this...Starting to spread to mid-major level also.

Nothing personal...I give what I can.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post

excellent post.