Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

2009-2010 Season evaluations

These evaluations are based on the expectations I had for players before the season, their performance, and their improvement as the year went on:
    Gilstrap-
    Our best rebounder and pure scorer. Marquis carried us offensively for many long stretches during the season. Was usually a defensively liability despite his athleticism. He was one of the few players that exceeded my expectations and was really hoping he'd get another year. Grade- B+
    Brackins
    Brackins was the guy every team tried to take away from us. In most games they succeeded. Whether you blame it on the coaches not getting him in good positions or him trying to be an outside player it is obvious this year was a disappointment for CB. He never really took over for us on the offensive end like last year and didn't show any improvement on the defensive side of the ball. Grade- C-
    Garrett
    Why do people hate DG so much? He may not be an above average Big 12 point guard but at least he belongs in our league. DG had another solid assist to turnover ratio and played really well defensively in a few games, something we did not see last year. He really showed what he was capable of in the KState game and I look forward to seeing more of that next year. Was also one of our most vocal leaders. Grade- B
    Christopherson
    Scott stepped it up this year despite mono and being put into a role he didn't know he'd be in this early. He was inconsistent offensively but was one of the few players who was an adequate defender in almost every game. I was usually happy with SC's play but if he's our starting 2-guard for the next couple years we may be in trouble. Grade- B+
    Hamilton
    Some of you aren't going to be happy about this grade. Justin Hamilton wasn't a Big 12 starting center and he was never going to be. Am I ****** he left? Yes, but whatever he showed you guys this year was usually because of double teams on Brackins or people helping on Gilstrap or Garrett. I will admit he was good on defensive rotations but whenever he was challenged at the rim or on rebounds opposing players generally won. He did improve as the year went on but still could never really make up for his lack of athleticism that would have plagued him throughout his career. Grade- C+
    Colvin
    Colvin really showed some flashes this year of the guy we were all pumped about getting. He also showed flashes of being not only a turnover machine and bad shooter but a locker room problem. I think the locker room problem was cleared up as the season went on but Colvin really hurt us at times with turnovers. The guy shot 20 some percent from the field yet people were still wanting him to start over DG. Offensively he had some nice passes and big 3 pointers but the stats indicate he had a poor year. Defensively he was able to put some nice pressure on the ball in some games and really looked decent for a freshman. CC will be the key for us next year. Grade- C
    Dendy
    Like Colvin, Dendy showed flashes of being a solid Big 12 player. He was our best shot blocker and second best rebounder (IMO) and was a very efficient offensive player. There were also times, such as the UNI game, in which Dendy's decisions left us questioning him a little. Hopefully next year Dendy improves his on ball defense and is able to develop a post game. Big question about Dendy is, will he be back?
    Grade- B-
    I will refrain from grading Lucca, JVD, Boozer, or Dorr just because we didn't see much of them or in the case of Lucca his move to Germany.

Last edited by Mr Janny; 03-15-2010 at 06:45 PM.

Pro
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Re: 2009-2010 Season evaluations

Quote Originally Posted by Clone5 View Post
    These evaluations are based on the expectations I had for players before the season, their performance, and their improvement as the year went on:
    Gilstrap-
    Our best rebounder and pure scorer. Marquis carried us offensively for many long stretches during the season. Was usually a defensively liability despite his athleticism. He was one of the few players that exceeded my expectations and was really hoping he'd get another year. Grade- B+
    Brackins
    Brackins was the guy every team tried to take away from us. In most games they succeeded. Whether you blame it on the coaches not getting him in good positions or him trying to be an outside player it is obvious this year was a disappointment for CB. He never really took over for us on the offensive end like last year and didn't show any improvement on the defensive side of the ball. Grade- C-
    Garrett
    Why do people hate DG so much? He may not be an above average Big 12 point guard but at least he belongs in our league. DG had another solid assist to turnover ratio and played really well defensively in a few games, something we did not see last year. He really showed what he was capable of in the KState game and I look forward to seeing more of that next year. Was also one of our most vocal leaders. Grade- B
    Christopherson
    Scott stepped it up this year despite mono and being put into a role he didn't know he'd be in this early. He was inconsistent offensively but was one of the few players who was an adequate defender in almost every game. I was usually happy with SC's play but if he's our starting 2-guard for the next couple years we may be in trouble. Grade- B+
    Hamilton
    Some of you aren't going to be happy about this grade. Justin Hamilton wasn't a Big 12 starting center and he was never going to be. Am I ****** he left? Yes, but whatever he showed you guys this year was usually because of double teams on Brackins or people helping on Gilstrap or Garrett. I will admit he was good on defensive rotations but whenever he was challenged at the rim or on rebounds opposing players generally won. He did improve as the year went on but still could never really make up for his lack of athleticism that would have plagued him throughout his career. Grade- C+
    Colvin
    Colvin really showed some flashes this year of the guy we were all pumped about getting. He also showed flashes of being not only a turnover machine and bad shooter but a locker room problem. I think the locker room problem was cleared up as the season went on but Colvin really hurt us at times with turnovers. The guy shot 20 some percent from the field yet people were still wanting him to start over DG. Offensively he had some nice passes and big 3 pointers but the stats indicate he had a poor year. Defensively he was able to put some nice pressure on the ball in some games and really looked decent for a freshman. CC will be the key for us next year. Grade- C
    Dendy
    Like Colvin, Dendy showed flashes of being a solid Big 12 player. He was our best shot blocker and second best rebounder (IMO) and was a very efficient offensive player. There were also times, such as the UNI game, in which Dendy's decisions left us questioning him a little. Hopefully next year Dendy improves his on ball defense and is able to develop a post game. Big question about Dendy is, will he be back?
    Grade- B-
    I will refrain from grading Lucca, JVD, Boozer, or Dorr just because we didn't see much of them or in the case of Lucca his move to Germany.
    Can't argue too much. I'd say Dendy and Colvin should get the same grade as the other and Colvin possibly higher considering he was a true freshman.

I just wonder what you'd grade CB at last year, and if the C- isn't more a result of not meeting your expectations.

Last edited by Mr Janny; 03-15-2010 at 06:45 PM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 452
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cy1010 View Post
    Can't argue too much. I'd say Dendy and Colvin should get the same grade as the other and Colvin possibly higher considering he was a true freshman.

I just wonder what you'd grade CB at last year, and if the C- isn't more a result of not meeting your expectations.
    I think myself and a lot of other people on here expected Colvin to be a little more efficient offensively and really considered Dendy a big question mark. Brackins got the grade he did because he failed to meet last year's numbers and didn't improve as the year went on.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I think myself and a lot of other people on here expected Colvin to be a little more efficient offensively and really considered Dendy a big question mark. Brackins got the grade he did because he failed to meet last year's numbers and didn't improve as the year went on.
    That's fair. Colvin was the bigger name coming in.

As far as CB goes, his numbers were just slightly down this year (arguably largely due to Gilstrap showing up). So, if he got a C- this year I would think he only graded out at a C+ or so last year.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I almost forgot to grade the coach!
    Mcdermott-
    Failed to meet almost everybody's expectations. Lucca quitting and injuries hurt us a lot but we still shouldn't have been as bad as we were after these things happened. There are a lot of pretty valid excuses to explain his failures here but after some point enough has to be enough. Offensively we were ok this year despite injuries but still were hampered with long scoring droughts which has been a staple of the Mcdermott era. Defensively we were usually below average. We possessed no defensive stoppers which can be easily traced back to recruiting and really struggled to guard quick guards. He really has his hands full next year with a host of new players, we'll see if he can get it done.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

As far as CB goes, his numbers were just slightly down this year (arguably largely due to Gilstrap showing up). So, if he got a C- this year I would think he only graded out at a C+ or so last year.
    Shouldn't numbers go up in a player's junior year? Basically I gave him a C- because I was expecting his numbers to increase and for him to be able to takeover games for us. I was really disappointed with his lack of inside game this year (which may be able to be traced back to the coaches) and how he didn't improve at all on defense. Expectations, not performance, explain his grade for the most part.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Shouldn't numbers go up in a player's junior year? Basically I gave him a C- because I was expecting his numbers to increase and for him to be able to takeover games for us. I was really disappointed with his lack of inside game this year (which may be able to be traced back to the coaches) and how he didn't improve at all on defense. Expectations, not performance, explain his grade for the most part.
    That's fine. I just don't know how you grade based off of expectations. Maybe your expectations were too high. It's your thread, so you can grade however you want, I just am not sure it makes sense to grade based on your subjective opinion of how well he should have done. That's not really a "grade." If you took a test and got 80/100 but the teacher thought you should've gotten a 90/100, you don't then lose an additional ten points b/c you didn't meet expectations.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

That's fine. I just don't know how you grade based off of expectations. Maybe your expectations were too high. It's your thread, so you can grade however you want, I just am not sure it makes sense to grade based on your subjective opinion of how well he should have done. That's not really a "grade." If you took a test and got 80/100 but the teacher thought you should've gotten a 90/100, you don't then lose an additional ten points b/c you didn't meet expectations.
    Not the most scientific method is it? I just wanted to factor in how myself and other Cyclone fans thought these players would perform this year. I think if we were just grading performance Brackins would get a B- or B but when you factor in his great play last year and how many people on here thought he'd be an All-American then the grade looks different.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Not the most scientific method is it? I just wanted to factor in how myself and other Cyclone fans thought these players would perform this year. I think if we were just grading performance Brackins would get a B- or B but when you factor in his great play last year and how many people on here thought he'd be an All-American then the grade looks different.
    Like I said, your thread, so you can grade the players however you want...haha

I just think that a lot of fans overestimated the level of talent in general on the team. Not saying you're one of them, but if you're doing grades based on expectations I'd have to know what those expectations were before agreeing or disagreeing.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Like I said, your thread, so you can grade the players however you want...haha

I just think that a lot of fans overestimated the level of talent in general on the team. Not saying you're one of them, but if you're doing grades based on expectations I'd have to know what those expectations were before agreeing or disagreeing.
    I tried not to overestimate going into the year but I think I did in the case of Colvin and Brackins. I didn't think we'd make the tournament but I thought we'd be a little more successful. I'm guessing we won't be having the overestimating problem before next season.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I tried not to overestimate going into the year but I think I did in the case of Colvin and Brackins. I didn't think we'd make the tournament but I thought we'd be a little more successful. I'm guessing we won't be having the overestimating problem before next season.
    The only thing we may be yet overestimating is the number of players who will be back next year.

All-Star
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 538
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 48

Mcdermott-
    Failed to meet almost everybody's expectations. Lucca quitting and injuries hurt us a lot but we still shouldn't have been as bad as we were after these things happened. There are a lot of pretty valid excuses to explain his failures here but after some point enough has to be enough. Offensively we were ok this year despite injuries but still were hampered with long scoring droughts which has been a staple of the Mcdermott era. Defensively we were usually below average. We possessed no defensive stoppers which can be easily traced back to recruiting and really struggled to guard quick guards. He really has his hands full next year with a host of new players, we'll see if he can get it done.

Sooo.........what's the grade? A-b-c-d or f? Or does he get a big fat E for effort?

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 576
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Your average grade is around a B minus. That's too high for a team that went 4-12 in the conference. Here are my grades. These are based on how I perceive each player contributed to ISU's 4-12 record. You get an A if you played very well in the wins; you get an F if you played horrible in the losses. Because ISU went 4-12, most of the grades are C or worse.

Garrett C+ (75 assists; 47 turnovers; key player in KSU win) **
    Christopherson C- (shot 36.4% FG)
    Gilstrap B- (averaged a double-double in conference games)
    Brackins D+ (shot 38.9% FG; good against CU and NE; horrible in close losses)
    Hamilton B- (led Big 12 in offensive rebounding; shot 55% FG and 75% FT)
    Dendy C+ (shot 60% FG and 40% FT)
    Colvin C- (21 assists; 25 turnovers)
    McDermott D- (kept team from quitting; failed at everything else)

** all stats are conference games only

Interestingly enough, Garrett and Buckley were the only players with a positive assist/turnover ratio.

Iowa State - Season Statistics

Last edited by StLouisClone; 03-15-2010 at 09:52 PM.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 883
    Given: 622

A look at his game for this year for an increase steals, blocks, and assists indicate that he was a wash when compared to a decrease in points and rebounds. Gilstrap took some of his points from last year and some of his rebounds. He had little support last year. However he did shoot 4% worse this year.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 883
    Given: 622

Mcdermott-
    Failed to meet almost everybody's expectations. Lucca quitting and injuries hurt us a lot but we still shouldn't have been as bad as we were after these things happened. There are a lot of pretty valid excuses to explain his failures here but after some point enough has to be enough. Offensively we were ok this year despite injuries but still were hampered with long scoring droughts which has been a staple of the Mcdermott era. Defensively we were usually below average. We possessed no defensive stoppers which can be easily traced back to recruiting and really struggled to guard quick guards. He really has his hands full next year with a host of new players, we'll see if he can get it done Solid D.
    Fixed it for you.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.