Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 0

Re: Nick Gallick Article

Good Luck Nick, looking forward to seeing you wrestle next year.

I agree, ISU has a good shot. Need some wrestlers to come through.

All-Star
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 117
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 57

I would obviously love to see ISU pull it out, but IMO Iowa is going to run away with the team title.

Pro
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 561
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15

Quote Originally Posted by GoCubsGo View Post
    I would obviously love to see ISU pull it out, but IMO Iowa is going to run away with the team title.
    . . and if they do, it will drive another nail into the coffin called NCAA wrestling. But hey, former ISU wrestler Gable will have another reason to complain about how NCAA wrestling needs better coverage and expansion. LOL

Addict Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Madclone1 View Post
    . . and if they do, it will drive another nail into the coffin called NCAA wrestling. But hey, former ISU wrestler Gable will have another reason to complain about how NCAA wrestling needs better coverage and expansion. LOL
    It does need exposure and expansion, and having a powerful team (or dynasty) for a while isn't what is killing it. The lack of support from major sport networks and them never covering it is helping to bury it.

"Seven minutes to glory."

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone62 View Post
    It does need exposure and expansion, and having a powerful team (or dynasty) for a while isn't what is killing it. The lack of support from major sport networks and them never covering it is helping to bury it.
    You have to understand, its madclone's job to come on here and bash gable and say hes bad for the sport and Iowas run is bad for the sport. But Iowa didnt win for several years there and wrestling didnt flurish.

You nailed it with the major sports network. Also when you get two high quality wrestlers squaring off it tends to be a lower scoring affair and whether its in baseball or basketball or football everyone loves a high scoring game. Its better for the ratings. Wrestling to the casual fan can sometimes be dull, I dont believe so obviously. I cant wait to get into my seat on thursday, I love every single second of every match but the everyday fan will not.

Pro
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

I think the Big Ten network has helped immensely. I've seen more wrestling this year than any other two years combined. If the Big 12 could get it's own network similar to the Big Ten you could have 50-70% of the top ten teams in the nation on TV at any given time.

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone1306 View Post
    You have to understand, its madclone's job to come on here and bash gable and say hes bad for the sport and Iowas run is bad for the sport. But Iowa didnt win for several years there and wrestling didnt flurish.

You nailed it with the major sports network. Also when you get two high quality wrestlers squaring off it tends to be a lower scoring affair and whether its in baseball or basketball or football everyone loves a high scoring game. Its better for the ratings. Wrestling to the casual fan can sometimes be dull, I dont believe so obviously. I cant wait to get into my seat on thursday, I love every single second of every match but the everyday fan will not.
    Believe me, I understand his position quite well. Like soccer (and hockey), I think the low scoring makes people leery of figuring out how the sport operates, so they don't get into it as much.

I'm only going to be there for the Friday Session(s), and can't wait for it.

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cy1010 View Post
    I think the Big Ten network has helped immensely. I've seen more wrestling this year than any other two years combined. If the Big 12 could get it's own network similar to the Big Ten you could have 50-70% of the top ten teams in the nation on TV at any given time.
    This is what I mean by having large networks carry it. The exposure will help 100x more than it just being reported in the paper the day after.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone62 View Post
    This is what I mean by having large networks carry it. The exposure will help 100x more than it just being reported in the paper the day after.
    And that's IF it even gets reported by the papers. Look at "all the coverage" ISU got for their 1000th win.

IMO, the eastern Iowa papers do a faaaaaaaaar better job of covering wrestling than the central Iowa papers do. I mean, Andy Hamilton has a live blog at just about every Iowa meet.

AM 800 in eastern Iowa also covers all the Iowa wrestling meets live on their broadcasts.

It has to start locally.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone1306 View Post

Right . . that's my job.

But you are correct in one thing. Gable is not my hero and I do not believe he cares a wit about ISU or any other program except Iowa. But you keep right on believing he has shed his bully . .bad boy image for the sport. All you have to do is see how he scrambled back to Iowa when ISU started to put some heat on for the title. IMHO, he is still locked into his myopic competitiveness at the expense of the sport at large.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Right . . that's my job.

But you are correct in one thing. Gable is not my hero and I do not believe he cares a wit about ISU or any other program except Iowa. But you keep right on believing he has shed his bully . .bad boy image for the sport. All you have to do is see how he scrambled back to Iowa when ISU started to put some heat on for the title. IMHO, he is still locked into his myopic competitiveness at the expense of the sport at large.
    Your post assumes that helping Iowa defend it's title from ISU and helping the sport as a whole are mutually exclusive. I don't think that's the case at all.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Your post assumes that helping Iowa defend it's title from ISU and helping the sport as a whole are mutually exclusive. I don't think that's the case at all.
    100% correct, I want to beat Gable more than anything. But hes a great ambassador for the sport. But to put a whippin on him would bring a big smile to my face.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Okay. You love Gable and the Hawks and would hate to see them dethroned for the benefit of the sport. Correct? Gable hustles back to Iowa and helps them plus up their program as an assistant coach because the mighty Hawks were starting to lose steam . . . but that is good for the sport correct? Man some of you guys really demonstrate poor logic by defending the indefensible.

But I'm sure Jon Miller will be on here to take up your position . . now go watch the Hawks dominate the NCAA tourney . . I won't be watching.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Okay. You love Gable and the Hawks and would hate to see them dethroned for the benefit of the sport. Correct? Gable hustles back to Iowa and helps them plus up their program as an assistant coach because the mighty Hawks were starting to lose steam . . . but that is good for the sport correct? Man some of you guys really demonstrate poor logic by defending the indefensible.

But I'm sure Jon Miller will be on here to take up your position . . now go watch the Hawks dominate the NCAA tourney . . I won't be watching.
    I realize this is the internet, but I think I sense that vein in your forehead beginning to pop out a little too much.

Again, you're assuming that helping Iowa and growing the sport can't be done simultaneously.

Gable can help Iowa, and at the same time promote the NWCA All-Start meet to be held in California to help grow the sport there; can suggest having a dual with Utah Valley State to help that program; can help support the initiation of 100 or so start up high school programs in Arkansas.

None of those things is hindered by him helping Iowa defend a title.

Now, please calmly explain how Iowa winning three titles in a row NECESSARILY works to the detriment of wrestling as a whole.