Spring game format (Starters vs. Starters, see Nedrick's post)
    All-Star
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Spring game format (Starters vs. Starters, see Nedrick's post)

Anyone know if this will be played like last year the Red team v the White team or something new like Offense v Defense? If there is a similar thread out there, I can delete mine off - just let me know, thanks.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 566
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 10

Re: Spring game format

Quote Originally Posted by clonomaniac View Post
    Anyone know if this will be played like last year the Red team v the White team or something new like Offense v Defense? If there is a similar thread out there, I can delete mine off - just let me know, thanks.
    I believe I heard yesterday, it will be without kickoffs , and will be Offense against Defense.

Starter
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 674
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 30

I thought the Red v. White was kind of boring. The starting team seemed to win every time.

Defense v. Offense style would be a little better but I really like the way Kansas State does theirs. They draft team members onto two teams, alternating picks. I realize this might mean we wouldn't see Meyer to Blythe for 3 touchdowns but it would be a more competitive game.

All-Star
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 170
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 2

this might be a silly question, but what is the offense vs. defense format? Is the one offense just out there the whole game and they see how well the defense can stop them everytime? or what? thanks.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I like Offense v Defense personally, too bad they haven't disclosed anything on the format...

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Here is an article about what the format will be:

Like a car with an overworked odometer and an unrelenting thirst for gasoline, Iowa State's traditional spring football game has been towed to the junkyard.

Instead, Gene Chizik will use a model that's low on accessories and high on competition Saturday at Jack Trice Stadium beginning at 1 p.m.

"It won't be a lot of bells and whistles," said ISU's head football coach during a Monday press conference. "It'll be a situation where we have to get some work done. That's how we're approaching it as coaches and players.

"I know before it might have been touted as a spring game-type situation. We're looking at this as a spring practice."

In other words, the Dan McCarney spring game format, that featured a four-quarter "game" of sorts, has departed with the former head coach. Rather than the first and fourth-stringers taking on the second and third teamers, Iowa State's final day of spring football will feature the offense against the defense. Period.

There won't be any kickoffs. There will be scoring, but in an expanded sense. In addition to touchdowns, points will be awarded for items like first downs and explosive (long gaining) plays. ISU's defense can light up the scoreboard with a 3-and-out series or a sack, to name two examples.

It's the same system Chizik has used during the practices and two scrimmages leading up to Saturday's finale.

"We never go to practice without keeping score," said Chizik. "As I've told the football team, there's always a definitive winner and loser in everything you do when you step on the field. So, we keep score."

Chizik added, "Understanding competition and competing throughout practice -- we think that's paramount."

Chizik's players, from the incoming junior college players to the holdovers from the McCarney Era, think they understand what the new coach wants from his points system.

"It definitely keeps things interesting," said veteran offensive guard Tom Schmeling. "You don't get to a point in practice where you get lulled. You're constantly keeping an eye on the score."

Added Doug Dedrick, an offensive tackle and a juco recruit, " (Chizik's scoring) kind of puts more pressure on you. It somewhat simulates a game situation. Obviously, you can't have crowd noise or a championship on the line and what not. But it definitely heightens the competition from the aspect of making everybody work harder. It's more of a game speed type of thing, you could say. The offense always wants to beat the defense."

Chizik did not issue a revised depth chart Monday. He did say that some Cyclones have begun to separate themselves from the pack in the head-to-head battles of becoming starters. Linebacker Alvin Bowen and wide receiver Todd Blythe have performed well thus far, the ISU coach said.

"Without me trying to name 10 names, it's the guys you would probably guess have been productive, and they have been," said Chizik. "Those are the guys who have pretty much definitively separated themselves."

Meanwhile, the education process continues for the Cyclones and the new coaches. The players are learning the new systems; the men in charge are finding out what the players can do in good times and bad.

Overall, Chizik wants to establish consistency, in effort and expectations.

"We're not going to be chameleons," he said. "We're not going to be this color one day and this color on another day. We'll be the same all the way through -- win lose or draw."

Last edited by Nedrick; 04-11-2007 at 03:17 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 353
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 35

Quote Originally Posted by Dormeezy View Post
    this might be a silly question, but what is the offense vs. defense format? Is the one offense just out there the whole game and they see how well the defense can stop them everytime? or what? thanks.
    If you happened to watch the OU spring game on ESPN last weekend it is what they did. I didn't watch it in great detail but it seemed like 1st team O and D went against each other then 2nd then 3rd and then back to 1st team they seem to rotate every series.

Kyle S. Flander

All-Star
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 170
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 2

thanks for the article post.. sounds like it should be an entertaining 'game' to watch.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 240

I think that's really cool. I'd rather see the starters vs. the starters anyway. I wasn't planning on going this year but it might be fun.

I also think it's really cool how he keeps a score for the offense and defense. I always thought practice was a little boring back in the day but with that competetive aspect to it might have made it a bit more fun for me.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 593
    Given: 365

That's exactly what I saw the other weekend at the coach's clinic. Various "controlled" situations. Personally, I loved it.

I think most of you will too.

Especially being the 1's from each side face off against each other. Much better football to watch.

How it worked...first situation was 3rd and 8. 1's on offense faced the 1's on defense. Then eventually, it switched to 2's on both sides.

Another situation was 1st and 10 from your own 1 yard line. Go as far as you can get/stop 'em. 1's start it off then switch to 2's when the defense stops them or the offense scores.

And so on...

Last edited by ISUFan22; 04-11-2007 at 03:28 PM.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Spring game format (Starters vs. Starters, see Nedrick's post)

good read, I love the Offense v Defense idea now - hope nobody gets hurt though...

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Spring game format (Starters vs. Starters, see Nedrick's post)

Quote Originally Posted by clonomaniac View Post
    good read, I love the Offense v Defense idea now - hope nobody gets hurt though...
    By this point, if they're not hurt yet, they'll probably be fine.