Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 269
    Given: 355

This is Ross Marsdens Possible replacement

My sources which are usually really good. Threw this name out to me. Now this is no way myself saying this guy is comming. Just don't be shocked to see him wearing our colors next year. Here is the link

http://www.iowastate.rivals.com/view...=58703&sport=2

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,266
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 1

Re: This is Ross Marsdens Possible replacement

Sounds like a decent guy.

He is looking..

http://www.wichitaeagle.com/250/story/40600.html

Rookie
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 290
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    My sources which are usually really good. Threw this name out to me. Now this is no way myself saying this guy is comming. Just don't be shocked to see him wearing our colors next year. Here is the link

http://www.iowastate.rivals.com/view...=58703&sport=2
    I don't want to rain on the party but I wouldn't get my hopes up. IMO, the team won't sign any Jucos any time soon.

Psyched about the Clones!!!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 161

I don't want to rain on the party but I wouldn't get my hopes up. IMO, the team won't sign any Jucos any time soon.
    I don't have any problem with that, I've made it abundantly clear on here I'm pretty anti-juco as far as basketball goes.

I still think we'll be alright depth wise next season. A rotation of Hubalek, Brackins, Thompson, and C. Johnson with a little W. Johnson thrown in is plenty as far as I'm concerned. You have Clark and Johnson at the 3. You have Garrett and Brister at the PG position and Taylor, Staiger, and Booz at the 2. A lot of teams would kill to have that much depth.

Legend
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

They will sign Juco's if needed. When you lose a Junior you need to replace that Junior with someone with experience who is ready to come in and compete. You cant take a project freshman center at this point. If you get a center or power forward they need to come in and at least give what Ross gave and more.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

They will sign Juco's if needed. When you lose a Junior you need to replace that Junior with someone with experience who is ready to come in and compete. You cant take a project freshman center at this point. If you get a center or power forward they need to come in and at least give what Ross gave and more.
    I would consider a five star recruit that McDermott has repeatedly said is a very special player over a JUCO any day. I would consider Brackins to be a lot less of a project than an unrated juco player with no major offers who verballed to Wichita State. That's a project player right there.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 338
    Given: 239

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    I still think we'll be alright depth wise next season. A rotation of Hubalek, Brackins, Thompson, and C. Johnson with a little W. Johnson thrown in is plenty as far as I'm concerned. You have Clark and Johnson at the 3. You have Garrett and Brister at the PG position and Taylor, Staiger, and Booz at the 2. A lot of teams would kill to have that much depth.
    Ya know, I've been bummed with these player defections and the depth we're losing. When I looked at our possibilities in depth for next year and even in '08, I've been rather excited. Seeing that slip away has really sucked.

Having said that, Bryce - your post here brightened my day a bit. That is a pretty nice rotation.

The only downside being a number of them are new players. As long as they can come in and figure out the system and adjust to college ball - we could be just fine.

PsychedClone - thanks again for the inside info.

Addict
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 923
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 4

What does this kid weigh? Anyone have his JUCO numbers?

Rookie
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 290
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I respectfully disagree. If you want a "quick fix", the team will continue to be a merry-go-round of players coming and going. I'd rather see a long-term plan than a "Band Aid" solution with Jucos year after year.

With AT and Brackins in the mix, I think Ross saw his role diminishing greatly next year.

Psyched about the Clones!!!

Addict
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 923
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by PsychedClone View Post
    With AT and Brackins in the mix, I think Ross saw his role diminishing greatly next year.
    Let's just hope AT is an upgrade over Ross, who was contributing some nice minutes there at the end of the season. I don't know what to expect out of Brackins defensively, but Jiri definitely struggled against some of the bigger guys that Ross handled relatively well.

We do have the potential to be adequate or better down low with Jiri, Brackins, Thompson, and Cory Johnson.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The only downside being a number of them are new players. As long as they can come in and figure out the system and adjust to college ball - we could be just fine.
    I know exactly what you are saying, but in reality, we were going to be playing a bunch of newbs no matter the situation. I highly doubt we would have seen C-Mac in the starting lineup. Brister probably would have pushed him because their weaknesses are the same (shooting) and brister is a lot bigger kid at this point.

Marsden most likely would have been # 5 in the frontcourt rotation behind those 4 anyway, and it's not often teams go 5 deep between two positions.

Dodie leaving (if it's true) bums me out because I think he was a smart player and he had big upside. But again, I didn't see him starting.

As far as the inexperience goes, Garrett is used to playing in a system similar to McD's. Diener coaches a discliplined halfcourt game at Vincent. Brister is a prep school guy so he's old for a freshman. Staiger has played a crapton of competetive basketball being an international player in summer leagues for his national team. And as stated before, McD considers Brackins to be a very special player and expects a lot from him.

Obviously injuries could change this a lot. but I don't consider any of the defections so far as being crippling by any means. My outlook for next year doesn't change. I still think we'll be a bubble team with an upgraded schedule but a probably NIT team.

I'm never happy to see players leave. But I'm an Iowa State fan more than I'm a Ross Marsden fan. The program continues on.

CF Founder
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 340
    Given: 205

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    I know exactly what you are saying, but in reality, we were going to be playing a bunch of newbs no matter the situation. I highly doubt we would have seen C-Mac in the starting lineup. Brister probably would have pushed him because their weaknesses are the same (shooting) and brister is a lot bigger kid at this point.

Marsden most likely would have been # 5 in the frontcourt rotation behind those 4 anyway, and it's not often teams go 5 deep between two positions.

Dodie leaving (if it's true) bums me out because I think he was a smart player and he had big upside. But again, I didn't see him starting.

As far as the inexperience goes, Garrett is used to playing in a system similar to McD's. Diener coaches a discliplined halfcourt game at Vincent. Brister is a prep school guy so he's old for a freshman. Staiger has played a crapton of competetive basketball being an international player in summer leagues for his national team. And as stated before, McD considers Brackins to be a very special player and expects a lot from him.

Obviously injuries could change this a lot. but I don't consider any of the defections so far as being crippling by any means. My outlook for next year doesn't change. I still think we'll be a bubble team with an upgraded schedule but a probably NIT team.

I'm never happy to see players leave. But I'm an Iowa State fan more than I'm a Ross Marsden fan. The program continues on.

Well put and great analysis!

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Legend
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I would consider a five star recruit that McDermott has repeatedly said is a very special player over a JUCO any day. I would consider Brackins to be a lot less of a project than an unrated juco player with no major offers who verballed to Wichita State. That's a project player right there
    Come on Bryce. You know I was not talking about Brackins being a project. I am saying that about all the 2007 recruits who are centers that are left on the board are projects except for JUCO guys. Brackins would be a semi project if he were expected to come in and play only the center position. He is more of a natural 4. I am saying we will need some center help or a Power forward who can come in and contribute. Anybody Mac get's now won't probably be able to help for a year or two. Wes Johnson was out of nowhere. He plays a position that you don't need a lot of power to go up against the big 12.

I still say I think we see one Juco guy this year.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Good point, I didn't think your post through. I'm of the opinion that we shouldn't get anybody let alone an unrated juco. I don't think they'd be any more of a project than anybody signed at this point. Who's left that is really exciting? It isn't like Patrick Patterson is coming here. Plus at 6'8", I wouldn't count on a lot of help from the guy you linked at the center position.

Legend
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Fair enough. This guy I am talking about is not thrilling by any means. He does bring Bulk to the table which is something we have been missing for a few years now. When we lost Homan and Staple we started getting pushed around down below. Until Jiri showed some sack the second half of last year. He still is wearing down at the end of games. If we could get a big guy that could help wear down the other guy it would be nice.