Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Rutger's and Don Imus controversy

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/0...ers/index.html

Anyone been following this? While I think his comments were inappropriate I really think that that some people are taking this too far or giving it too much attention. The reason I say this is because I think it brings up the double-standard issue again. We live in a society where everyone preaches "equality" but let's play a "what if" scenario here. What if Don Imus was black and not white. Would Al Sharpton being calling for his job still? I don't really know what a "fair" punishment for Don is, I probably have not read enough on this story to be knowledgable enough to have a fair opinion on it. I know that he's probably not the first nor the last to say something controversial.

The double standard thing really bothers me and I even get a dose of it from time to time at work. Why is it ok for black people to call each other things but when a non-black does it we all the sudden are racist? If you don't like being called that don't use it yourself then. We are called crackers yet that's supposedly not racist. I blow it off if I hear it but it doesn't mean that I still don't find that a little racist. And the best example I have from work is we were in an elevator and my black co-worker who is a rather large guy starts jumping up and down which ironically is how some of our other co-workers got stuck in the elevator once. I asked him to stop and explained that it could cause the elevator to stop and he says "sure blame the black guy" jokingly. Then the hispanic cleaning lady in the elevator with us just starts cracking up laughing. Was an akward situation so I said "being black has nothing to do with it." He knew that and wasn't offended but it still ****** me off that he said it.

Hope I'm not opening up a can of worms with this but I get very frustrated how in a society that everyone preaches equality that whenever something bad happens for some reason it's a racial thing and some people will use their race as the excuse behind it. If you mess up at work or break a law or something and get in trouble for it, it's not because of your race, sex, or how you look it's because you messed up and should be reprimanded just like anyone else would if they did the same thing. Which brings me back to the orginal topic, if Don Imus was not a white man would this be as big of an issue as it is right now?

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 174
    Given: 27

Re: Rutger's and Don Imus controversy

I am just sick and tired of everyone whining about everything... Jeez if i whined like this everytime someone called me a name, I would never get anything done. Can't anyone just take the high road anymore and let it go?

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Rookie Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Short answer. No.

Stuart Scott was on Mike and Mike this morning waxing poetic on this topic. He defended the exact side that you are against...I am as well. He basicly said that had a black person said this it would be meant as a term of endearment. Pahlease. He also stated that Imus only said this b/c it is what is in his heart. (Meaning that Imus is obviously racist) I don't know if he is racist, I do know he is not funny. This whole "issue" is a bit out of proprtion at this point.

Cy Created by MC Doder

Speechless
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 174
    Given: 27

Quote Originally Posted by travman23 View Post
    http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/0...ers/index.html

What if Don Imus was black and not white. Would Al Sharpton being calling for his job still?
    Another thing I don't get is why is Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson supposedly speaking for all blacks? Who appointed these two race trolls? They both have made their entire career of playing the race card and complaining about how the white man is keeping them down. They have made a fortune off the suffering of others...They are two of the lowest class hate mongers in america. I feel those two are no different from the head of the KKK.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Legend
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 254

It was something that could have helped. The problem was Sharpton and Jesse Jackson got involved. At that point it turned into just another witch hunt.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    It was something that could have helped. The problem was Sharpton and Jesse Jackson got involved. At that point it turned into just another witch hunt.
    I agree for the most part. It seems these two, mostly Jesse - make issues worse rather than improving upon them.

I do think this person could've chose some better words as well.

All-Star
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I don't like Imus, so I hope loses his job. I don't like his comments because I think it sets white males back, not black women. I don't think most people (white males included) watching Rutgers-Tennessee were thinking what he was thinking, and would say what he said. I think Imus represents the good 'ol boy network, of which I am not a member.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 1

I think the Rutgers Women should all call Imus something racist and be done with the whole thing. I'd start with something like "ashen, 80's metal band-haired, loud-mouthed windbag."

In all seriousness, how dumb do you have to be to have a major radio show, say something like he did, and expect that to be OK? I am most surprised about the fact that he also referred to them as "jigaboos" and no one seems to be upset at that!

Forever trying to find a cure for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

Addict
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 460
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    Another thing I don't get is why is Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson supposedly speaking for all blacks? Who appointed these two race trolls? They both have made their entire career of playing the race card and complaining about how the white man is keeping them down. They have made a fortune off the suffering of others...They are two of the lowest class hate mongers in america. I feel those two are no different from the head of the KKK.
    I couldn't agree with you more. I don't know if you caught the South Park episode awhile back where Stan's dad said the n-word on Wheel of Fortune. Well then he appologized to Jesse Jackson so Stan told Token that since Jesse Jackson accepted the apology everything was ok. Token said something about how Jesse Jackson is not the spokesperson for black people so that meant nothing and Stan still did not understand.

I agree with both of your posts.

Rookie Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Someone should call Sharpton to the mat concerning the Duke Lacross players. He had those guys convicted in the court of public opinion. Any apologies in this matter forthcoming? I won't hold my breath. Seems racist to me to assume that the rich white kids raped the helpless black woman. Especially if you host a radio show and have a national forum.

Cy Created by MC Doder

Rookie Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isucyfan View Post
    I think the Rutgers Women should all call Imus something racist and be done with the whole thing. I'd start with something like "ashen, 80's metal band-haired, loud-mouthed windbag."

In all seriousness, how dumb do you have to be to have a major radio show, say something like he did, and expect that to be OK? I am most surprised about the fact that he also referred to them as "jigaboos" and no one seems to be upset at that!
    To be fair he didn't say that but someone on his show did. Since it is his show and he did not refute it he is ultimately responsible for the comment, but he did not say it.

Cy Created by MC Doder

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 634
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 14

The media circus is annoying and getting old, but his comments were stupid. If he were an employee of any one of us, we'd fire him and move on. However, since his job is to walk the line between controversy and humor, he is getting a slap on the wrist.

It looks like hypersensitivity, but I'm guessing most CF users are white males. You know, walk a mile in their shoes, etc etc. Their outrage over this seemingly small incident will prevent future broadcasters from making the same mistake. Battle won.

Addict
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 460
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by JJ4ISU View Post
    I don't like Imus, so I hope loses his job. I don't like his comments because I think it sets white males back, not black women. I don't think most people (white males included) watching Rutgers-Tennessee were thinking what he was thinking, and would say what he said. I think Imus represents the good 'ol boy network, of which I am not a member.
    I want to give you some rep for this but says I've given too much out in the last 24 hours.

I agree, I'm embarassed by his comments because unfortunately it stereotypes that this is how white males are. Maybe some of these people should listen to some of the "shock jocks" like Stern and Mancow who say racist and sexist sounding things all the time because what he said is no worse than what those 2 guys say regularly. People really need to get a grip sometimes and realize they are stronger than stooping to the level of people that say things like this. By taking the high road you look a lot classier.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,560
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 93

I agree it has gone a little over the top, but it is a pretty serious slandering. I mean he didn't make fun of women or just race, it was a compilation of both. He might as well of just made fun of the mentally handicapped as well. The guy said, "nappy headed hos" guys. I mean if I said that at my job I would sure as he double hockey sticks get fired and I am not on the air with millions, or in his case hundreds, of people listening to me.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by jparker22 View Post
    To be fair he didn't say that but someone on his show did. Since it is his show and he did not refute it he is ultimately responsible for the comment, but he did not say it.
    You're right...my bad. I listened to the whole thing and it was sometimes hard to tell who was saying what. All those radio guys sound the same. You're also right in saying that Imus is responsible for the content of his show.

Forever trying to find a cure for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.