Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 22

Positives

As hard as yesterday's game was to watch and digest, I think there are a lot of positives to take away from the game as well.

Youth/Future-There was only one senior on the court yesterday for ISU, and at times there was 3 fresh, 1 soph, and 1 junior, playing against a upperclassmen dominated team. To hang in there, fight back into the game in the first half shows tenacity, and I commend the team for not giving up. Williams is improving. She missed some shots, but still got 11 and only had one turnover and several assists. I actually think the turning point in the game is when she and Anna got silly fouls and went to the bench. They were the duo controlling the game offensively, and without them, we couldn't score.

We can hash what went wrong, the missed layups, silly fouls, posts getting pushed around, bad turnovers, etc., but they still only lost by 3 to a good team without their best player on the court. Frankly, I am proud of their effort.

At the beginning of the season I was worried whether or not we would make the dance and thought we would be a bubble team given the depth in this league and lack of non-con statement win opportunities. As sad as I am we didn't do well in the tourney and improve our NCAA seeding, a 4 or maybe 5 seed is still an excellent accomplishment for this team.

I think it has been hard for us to watch some of their games this year because they have been ugly, but we don't have the offensive weapons of past, but our defense and toughness has improved. Thus, not as pretty to watch, not the scoring offense we are used to, but I will take that along with the massively improved defense and rebounding that we aren't so necessarily accustomed to. As Pat Summit says, offense sells tickets, defense wins games, and rebounds wins championships.

Go Cyclones! Thank you for a great season. Can't wait to see you play in Ames this weekend.

Last edited by twistedredbird; 03-13-2010 at 07:53 PM.

Starter
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 338
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Positives

The positives are: 1. useful to start to see what kind of team we have without Lacy because we are not going to have her much longer anyhow. 2. Anna showed that she can get more than 3 or 4 boards, and she will have to do that next year. 3. Williams has had two games now where she has had a good ratio of assists to turnovers. Not sure she will start at point next year, but we will have to get a lot of minutes from her because we lose two good guards: Stuckey and Lacy. 4. This is more a footnote to point 3 rather than a positive: it is not likely we will get two starters at the 1&2 from the two guards coming in because one is a frosh and the other has had only juco experience.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 121

They have a much bigger upside than the men. Their young inside group will get better and better.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 9

Desperately need a stronger PG than Williams. I like what she brings off the bench for short stints but not 30 min/game.

Stuckey's athleticism will be missed tremendously. On a team that has very little pure athleticism, she was a much needed asset.

I see us as a bubble team next year, but I think we'll squeek in due to some good conf. wins at Hilton. I expect 8-8 or so in Conf. and around 20wins overall.

Recruit
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 487
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 17

This team deserves all the respect in the world. No one thought they'd be able to make any noise in the league this year and look where they're at now! Sure we lost a couple tight games without our top player to a team that we probably would've blown out if she had been playing...but you have to give these girls credit for the amount of heart and effort they put into every single game. Great coaching from BF doesn't hurt either

I will never give up on this program because they take tough situations and make the best out of them. Next year will definitely be tough without Aus and Stuckey, but remember that everyone said this year was supposed to be a rebuilding year and this group shined all year long! On to what I hope will be a very successful (and healthy!) NCAA tournament!!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 73.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 286
    Given: 632

my three points for next year.

1. pretty much a given next year as the lone senior Kelsey needs to up her aggressiveness on offense. She is, can be, and I believe will be a first team all big 12 selection next year
    2. Whitney can't be afraid to shoot. I have said before I will never complain about any shot Whit takes.
    3. Poppens is probably not ever going to be a three point threat but needs to develop the ability to shoot the mid range shot (16-18 feet). Last night OSU sagged off. If she can shoot that shot it be huge.

Quote Originally Posted by cyowan View Post

Rulzzz 3:16 says I just liked your post!

Starter
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 114
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I have problem with saying this was not a well coached game by Bill. I think, in fact, he wrote it off. No Allison, no win. My 11 year old nephew couldn't understand why there was no switch or help on the shot that Riley hit in the second half from the left side over and over? I couldn't answer.

Bolte let a smurf push her out of her offense. Prins missed bunny after bunny in the first half, so they never went back to her. This team lacks toughness. I think they can be good, and that's in Ames, and it felt like Ames in Municlple. I was there. They need to handle the ball better, and had better find a shooter besides standing around on offense. They had what, 2 shot clock violations?

Last edited by Sobchakcyclone; 03-13-2010 at 11:28 PM.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Lacey, that is all I have to say about yesterday's performance.

Starter
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 114
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

It's funny, but imagine if the teams at the top of the conference had to lose their best payer? OSU without Riley, done. NU without Griffin, we saw, they lost after her foul trouble. Any of these other teams, same thing. We need to practice up, but I hope the guards we have next year are ready for the load they have to carry.

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 684
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

BF is the coach. Nuff said.

Starter
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

Quote Originally Posted by Sobchakcyclone View Post
    I have problem with saying this was not a well coached game by Bill. I think, in fact, he wrote it off. No Allison, no win. My 11 year old nephew couldn't understand why there was no switch or help on the shot that Riley hit in the second half from the left side over and over? I couldn't answer.

Bolte let a smurf push her out of her offense. Prins missed bunny after bunny in the first half, so they never went back to her. This team lacks toughness. I think they can be good, and that's in Ames, and it felt like Ames in Municlple. I was there. They need to handle the ball better, and had better find a shooter besides standing around on offense. They had what, 2 shot clock violations?
    This is pure undiluted BS. Why is it that anybody who can type at a keyboard thinks he can coach basketball? How many big 12 basketball games have you won as a coach? Compared to Bill Fennelly?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgeezer View Post
    This is pure undiluted BS. Why is it that anybody who can type at a keyboard thinks he can coach basketball? How many big 12 basketball games have you won as a coach? Compared to Bill Fennelly?
    BF is a great coach. He isn't god. He makes mistakes just like everyone.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I have to completely disagree with you on this. What you saw was a problem of having no on court leadership and still we played a good enough game against a top 25 team that we had a chance to win. You said yourself, "how would other Big 12 teams do without there best player?". I think Baylor and Nebraska and definitely OSU would all have a hard time winning against any ranked team, we came very close.

How many freshman and bench players were on the court yesterday? First time in the Big 12 tournament and they are without leadership against a team that likes to pressure you. Why do you think they had trouble with the ball at the beginning. Also, they kept coming back to Prins all though the second half.

Most likely Bill's objective was to make Riley beat us, much like our objective in the Baylor game was to make the guards beat us. It kept us in the game until very late. If it wasn't for a couple of bad bounces I think we would have won that game.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

I guarantee you that BF NEVER writes off a game!!! Before the game Bill said that they were not going to foul Riley. They were not going to let her beat them at the freethrow line. Riley is a temendous player. Her speed and athletic ability create mis-match issues when you ask one of our posts to step out and cover her when they set a screen on Stuckey. Riley has the ability to create contact with larger players and then gets a foul called. As BF said pregame, you can't guard someone at the freethrow line. I thought Stuckey did a great job of getting around the ball screen. Riley is just a tremendous talent. I couldn't be more proud of this team for the fight that they showed without Aus. Imagine how this game looks if OSU plays without Riley. There is a lot of future potential on this team. I'm excited for a nice NCAA tourney run! Go State!

Pro
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 950
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 41

I’ll throw in my positive take, Lacey participating in the warm-ups! Earlier I was pleased to see that she was well enough to travel down for the tournament. Last week she was barely able to take the court for her two seconds on Seniors Day. Sure looks good now for a competitive return for the NCAA game on the 21st.

Last edited by BoxsterCy; 03-14-2010 at 02:59 PM.