Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 39
  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 48,948, Level: 68
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 802
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Burnsville, MN
    Posts
    3,137
    Points
    48,948
    Level
    68
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 151
    Given: 37

    Haven't given up in next season yet

    Here’s why;
    There is no doubt that losing Hamilton really hurt, but we still have 5 players coming back with significant Big XII experience.

    For the first time in a long time, we aren't counting on a newcomer to fill a gaping hole in our lineup.

    Garrett really stepped up his game late in the season, and I think he is ready to take over the leadership of the team. Remember when Brackins fouled out at KSU. Diante put the team on his back and won the game.

    Dendy finished the season making 11 consecutive buckets. I think he can have a nice season in the starting lineup.

    Once Christofferson got over mono, he played some solid ball. Most players are out for a few weeks when they get mono. Chris playing through it was a testament to his toughness. I believe he can be a star for us in coming years.

    Colvin made some freshman mistakes on the court, but he also showed flashed of brilliance. The big question will be whether he can make the switch to the 2 guard.

    And we get VanderBeeken back. We really missed him this year, because all our big guys played primarily in the paint. Jamie's range should open things up inside for everyone.



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 190,746, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    kingcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Menlo, Iowa
    Posts
    18,098
    Points
    190,746
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 345
    Given: 265

    Re: Haven't given up in next season yet

    Dont forget Booz. Mac has done a good job in the past at getting the right JUCO for what he needs. Some of ISU's best teams have had JUCOs on them.


    The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 73,122, Level: 83
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    5,299
    Points
    73,122
    Level
    83
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 173
    Given: 277

    Re: Haven't given up in next season yet

    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Way up high,
    There's a land that I heard of
    Once in a lullaby.

    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Skies are blue,
    And the dreams that you dare to dream
    Really do come true.

    Someday I'll wish upon a star
    And wake up where the clouds are far
    Behind me.
    Where troubles melt like lemon drops
    Away above the chimney tops
    That's where you'll find me.

    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Bluebirds fly.
    Birds fly over the rainbow.
    Why then, oh why can't I?

    If happy little bluebirds fly
    Beyond the rainbow
    Why, oh why can't I?


    "We are first and foremost an educational institution that values integrity, honesty and treating others with fairness and respect".

    -ISU President Gregory Geoffroy; circa May 2003.

  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 48,948, Level: 68
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 802
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Burnsville, MN
    Posts
    3,137
    Points
    48,948
    Level
    68
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 151
    Given: 37

    Re: Haven't given up in next season yet

    Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    Dont forget Booz. Mac has done a good job in the past at getting the right JUCO for what he needs. Some of ISU's best teams have had JUCOs on them.
    yeah, I didn't want my post to get too long, so I just went with what I think will be the starting 5. I expect Carlos to contribute some solid minutes off the bench next season. Hopefully some of the others coming can give a boost as well, but at least we will be ok if none of them start from day 1 like we have expected of first year guys in the past.



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 51,309, Level: 70
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,241
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Drive4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    972
    Posts
    5,541
    Points
    51,309
    Level
    70
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 43

    Re: Haven't given up in next season yet

    I do think our guard play will be significantly better next year, assuming we don't lose anymore players or have a decommit.

    The problem is, our front court might be the worst in BCS conference basketball.



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 61,629, Level: 76
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 21
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CyCloned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Robins, Iowa
    Posts
    5,222
    Points
    61,629
    Level
    76
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 352
    Given: 159

    Re: Haven't given up in next season yet

    Maybe it is a case of just not having guys that want to play together to win, but I really don't see GMac making the remainders doing much next year.



  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 417,448, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    62,278
    Points
    417,448
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,065
    Given: 732

    Re: Haven't given up in next season yet

    Quote Originally Posted by Drive4cy View Post
    I do think our guard play will be significantly better next year, assuming we don't lose anymore players or have a decommit.

    The problem is, our front court might be the worst in BCS conference basketball.

    We may have fixed one problem, but the new problem will make it a long season as we wi9ll have to play games in the fifties again until we have a shooting star able to score 16-18 a game. We are missing a vital piece.


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, 3sus Naz, Dustin, Bryce, Abdel, Monte, Matt, and Jameel.

  8. #8
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 51,008, Level: 69
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 142
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    enisthemenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Runnells, IA
    Posts
    4,087
    Points
    51,008
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 323
    Given: 276

    Re: Haven't given up in next season yet

    Maybe I'm a dip****, but assuming there are no more defections (here's to keeping my fingers crossed), I am somewhat 'excited' about next year.

    Granted, losing Ham hurts, there's no question about it. However, I like being guard heavy, with no real "star" (a.k.a. EGO).

    I'm just hopeful nothing else bad happens in the off-season, and we add both Clayburn and Wilkens.



  9. #9
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 51,008, Level: 69
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 142
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    enisthemenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Runnells, IA
    Posts
    4,087
    Points
    51,008
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 323
    Given: 276

    Re: Haven't given up in next season yet

    Oh, and one more thing. I really hope our guys don't play in the CCL (please tell me I missed something, and they have discontinued this league). I think it's a joke (perhaps this is for a different thread).



  10. #10
    Pro
    Points: 48,948, Level: 68
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 802
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Burnsville, MN
    Posts
    3,137
    Points
    48,948
    Level
    68
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 151
    Given: 37

    Re: Haven't given up in next season yet

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    We may have fixed one problem, but the new problem will make it a long season as we wi9ll have to play games in the fifties again until we have a shooting star able to score 16-18 a game. We are missing a vital piece.
    I think Christopherson can do this. He was in double figures each of the first 5 games of the season, and finished avereraging 12 pts per game over the last 6.



  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 195,629, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Dryburn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    9,207
    Points
    195,629
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 341
    Given: 7

    Re: Haven't given up in next season yet

    Quote Originally Posted by MNclone View Post
    Here’s why;
    There is no doubt that losing Hamilton really hurt, but we still have 5 players coming back with significant Big XII experience.

    For the first time in a long time, we aren't counting on a newcomer to fill a gaping hole in our lineup.

    Garrett really stepped up his game late in the season, and I think he is ready to take over the leadership of the team. Remember when Brackins fouled out at KSU. Diante put the team on his back and won the game.

    Dendy finished the season making 11 consecutive buckets. I think he can have a nice season in the starting lineup.

    Once Christofferson got over mono, he played some solid ball. Most players are out for a few weeks when they get mono. Chris playing through it was a testament to his toughness. I believe he can be a star for us in coming years.

    Colvin made some freshman mistakes on the court, but he also showed flashed of brilliance. The big question will be whether he can make the switch to the 2 guard.

    And we get VanderBeeken back. We really missed him this year, because all our big guys played primarily in the paint. Jamie's range should open things up inside for everyone.
    If ISU is not counting on a newcomer to fill a gaping hole in the lineup, then please explain who is taking Ham's place that is not a newcomer. Dorr?

    Also, if JVB is not going to play underneath, then exactly who is going to rebound? You said 5 coming back with significant Big 12 experience, but don't you mean 6? SC, Colvin, JVB (last year), DG, Dendy, and Boozer.

    Even so......4 of the 6 coming back are guards. And the JC player coming in is a guard. The two redshirts from this year are guards. You have two freshmen frontcourt players coming in. So right now the team consists of 7 guards and 5 frontcourt players.

    Another thing you have to take in to account....this year opposing teams were concentrating their defense on CB and MG, including double teams on CB most of the time. That won't be necessary any more. That was what initally concerned me about those guys leaving was the effect that would have on Ham inside. Guess we don't have to worry about that now? Point is.......teams will be able to concentrate on shutting down any improvement from DG, SC and JVB.


    Last edited by Dryburn; 03-13-2010 at 07:11 PM.

  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 87,063, Level: 91
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 387
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Erik4Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    7,655
    Points
    87,063
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 429
    Given: 339

    Re: Haven't given up in next season yet

    Quote Originally Posted by MNclone View Post
    For the first time in a long time, we aren't counting on a newcomer to fill a gaping hole in our lineup.
    uhhhhh...what?



  13. #13
    Pro
    Points: 58,649, Level: 75
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,401
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CloneState1028's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ames, IA via Cedar Rapids
    Posts
    3,273
    Points
    58,649
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Haven't given up in next season yet

    If you're not counting on Phillips, Clyburn and Wilkins (If we get the last two) to make a huge contribution, I'm assuming you're expecting a 10-win team?



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 146,976, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    6,187
    Points
    146,976
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Haven't given up in next season yet

    Quote Originally Posted by MNclone View Post
    yeah, I didn't want my post to get too long, so I just went with what I think will be the starting 5. I expect Carlos to contribute some solid minutes off the bench next season. Hopefully some of the others coming can give a boost as well, but at least we will be ok if none of them start from day 1 like we have expected of first year guys in the past.
    Carlos Boozer would definitely give us some solid minutes... but I'm looking for a good season from Charles...



  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 48,948, Level: 68
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 802
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Burnsville, MN
    Posts
    3,137
    Points
    48,948
    Level
    68
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 151
    Given: 37

    Re: Haven't given up in next season yet

    Quote Originally Posted by Dryburn View Post
    If ISU is not counting on a newcomer to fill a gaping hole in the lineup, then please explain who is taking Ham's place that is not a newcomer. Dorr?

    Also, if JVB is not going to play underneath, then exactly who is going to rebound? You said 5 coming back with significant Big 12 experience, but don't you mean 6? SC, Colvin, JVB (last year), DG, Dendy, and Boozer.

    Even so......4 of the 6 coming back are guards. And the JC player coming in is a guard. The two redshirts from this year are guards. You have two freshmen frontcourt players coming in. So right now the team consists of 7 guards and 5 frontcourt players.
    Dendy and VanderBeeken will start at the post replacing Ham and Brack.
    7 guards and 5 frontcourt players seems like a decent mix in college basketball. Nothing wrong with going to a 3 guard line up if you have to.

    The world isn't coming to an end just because Hamilton left.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: ESPNU
  • Iowa State vs. TCU
  • January 31, 2015
  • 01:00 PM