Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 13

If The Coaching Doesn't Change

Letís say for a minute that nothing is going to change in terms of personnel for the next year. What bothers me the most about McDermott is that what I see from game to game and season to season never changes. There is no way this team can continue if there arenít changes. What would you like Pollard to say to McDermott to affect those changes? Iíll start:

We donít have the money to buy out your contract at this time, but I have already started talking to donors, and I guarantee you, I will have the money available by this time next year. If you want to keep your job, this is what I want to see:

• The player defections have to stop. Whatever you are or are not doing has to change. I donít want to see one player transfer to another school next year or any year after that.
    • I will not settle for another losing overall or conference record.
    • You need to take this team to the NCAA or NIT next year.
    • Stop leaving kids in the game when they continue to throw away the ball, miss easy lay-ups, step out of bounds, or take three-point shots when they have no business taking them. And donít pat those kids on the back when they come in; make it clear they are going to sit as long as they continue to make bone-headed plays.
    • Likewise, stop pulling out the kids who are on a hot streak to rest them.
    • I want to see a major improvement in free-throw shooting and three-pointers.
    • If you need help, which I think you do, I am willing to pay whatever it takes for outside advice to evaluate your coaching style and the teamís style of play, and I want to see this ball game change for the better.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 17

Re: If The Coaching Doesn't Change

The player defections have to stop. Whatever you are or are not doing has to change. I donít want to see one player transfer to another school next year or any year after that. Ham and WJ leaving the porgram have hurt but every other player that has left has got very little PT.
    • I will not settle for another losing overall or conference record. You and the rest of us.
    • You need to take this team to the NCAA or NIT next year. We said that this year
    • Stop leaving kids in the game when they continue to throw away the ball, miss easy lay-ups, step out of bounds, or take three-point shots when they have no business taking them. And donít pat those kids on the back when they come in; make it clear they are going to sit as long as they continue to make bone-headed plays. Who else is he going to put in. At some point the young guys have to learn in a game sitting.
    • Likewise, stop pulling out the kids who are on a hot streak to rest them. There were players on hot streaks this season. They still need to rest some.
    • I want to see a major improvement in free-throw shooting and three-pointers. What can this staff do to change that? Scotty never misses at practice, DG and MG are good shooters at practice. What changes in a game I dont know.
    • If you need help, which I think you do, I am willing to pay whatever it takes for outside advice to evaluate your coaching style and the teamís style of play, and I want to see this ball game change for the better. Mac talks to other coaches he is well respected as a good coach. He gets pointers from a lot of others.

It all comes down to players making shots at key times, making stops at key times, and getting the ball to bounce your way at key times.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,200
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by urb1 View Post
    Letís say for a minute that nothing is going to change in terms of personnel for the next year. What bothers me the most about McDermott is that what I see from game to game and season to season never changes. There is no way this team can continue if there arenít changes. What would you like Pollard to say to McDermott to affect those changes? Iíll start:

We donít have the money to buy out your contract at this time, but I have already started talking to donors, and I guarantee you, I will have the money available by this time next year. If you want to keep your job, this is what I want to see:

• The player defections have to stop. Whatever you are or are not doing has to change. I donít want to see one player transfer to another school next year or any year after that.
    • I will not settle for another losing overall or conference record.
    • You need to take this team to the NCAA or NIT next year.
    • Stop leaving kids in the game when they continue to throw away the ball, miss easy lay-ups, step out of bounds, or take three-point shots when they have no business taking them. And donít pat those kids on the back when they come in; make it clear they are going to sit as long as they continue to make bone-headed plays.
    • Likewise, stop pulling out the kids who are on a hot streak to rest them.
    • I want to see a major improvement in free-throw shooting and three-pointers.
    • If you need help, which I think you do, I am willing to pay whatever it takes for outside advice to evaluate your coaching style and the teamís style of play, and I want to see this ball game change for the better.
    Pollard doesn't have to say all of those things. Just say one word- "WIN".

Prospect
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

let's say we agree. How much will it take to make the change? If Pollard is not actively seeking money to make a change and big donors are not pushing for it to happen, where is the money going to come from?

We talk alot about making the change. What is it going to take? The buyout is $2.5 million. Does his staff have contracts that need to be bought out? We'll say no. How much will it cost to get a quality coach that doesn't have to learn on the job? $1 million per? $2million per? Minnesota gave Tubby Smith $2million per year within a year or two of hiring GMac. So, I am going going to use it to value what it would cost to hire a quality coach. I expect we would have to give the new coach 4 yr contract at a minimum.

So, if these assumption are correct, $10.5 million would be the coast of hiring a new coach. Probably wouln't need that much once increased ticket sales and prices could be figured in but it's a number, but it would fund the new coaches salary for 4yrs. Where does money come from? How many desperate cyclone fans are there? 10.000? 15,000? 30,000? 100,000?

10,000 = $1,050
    15,000 = $700
    30,000 = $350
    100,000 = $105

The problem is getting enough people to agree to contribute and present it to the AD under the condition the money is used to hire an new coach. At this point, I would be willing to give $1,050 if I new there would be a change. Otherwise, I will sit quitely and hope Gmac can get the job done because the decision is out of my hands.