Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 332
    Given: 63

Pollard needs to make a move now

My rationale is this:

We have already had 4 players leave the program since JP made his 'I love Greg' speech. It sounds like there is a very real possibility that Colvin and Dendy are not far behind. Those two guys could be cornerstones of the team next season. Clearly they are not happy playing for Greg.

I think JP needs to get someone new in here like yesterday to try to re-recruit these guys into staying in Ames. A new coach might be able to talk them, and anyone else who might be leaving, into staying and giving him a shot.

JMHO

Last edited by snowcraig2.0; 03-13-2010 at 03:50 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 183
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Pollard needs to make a move now

Quote Originally Posted by snowcraig2.0 View Post
    My rationale is this:

We have already had 4 players leave the program since JP made his 'I love Greg' speech. It sounds like there is a very real possibility that Colvin and Dendy are not far behind. Those two guys could be cornerstones of the team next season. Clearly they are not happy playing for Greg.

I think JP needs to get someone new in here like yesterday to try to re-recruit these guys into staying in Ames. A new coach might be able to talk them, and anyone else who might be leaving, into staying and giving him a shot.

JMHO
    I'm with you. JP should own up to his mistake take his lumps and pull the plug on this regime. I've been the biggest JP cheerleader around, but this BB program is a mess and getting worse by the day. I fail to see how starting over with a new coach could result in any more harm than what is being done by keeping GM for another year.

URBCLONE

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 950
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 4

Who is going to pay for it? I really think he would be fired if there was funds to do so. Can't fire him if you can't afford 2.5M buyout and another 1.5M for a new coach plus assistants.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,380
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 6

So long as we don't spend millions on another bad fit...

Pro
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,384
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 36

I would offer my opinion to JP, but in checking my records I have confirmed that JP has not become a member in the National Nobody Beats Cy Club (NNBCC) nor has he purchased any tickets to see me in action, nor has he contributed to any of my kids' schollarship funds (what about the children!! )

If he wants me to play, he'll have to pay!

"Explode and tear this whole town apart
    Take a knife and cut this pain from my heart
    Find somebody itching for something to start"

"The Promised Land" Bruce Springsteen

All-Star
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 373
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 16

I think if we can get up to paying for 4 or 5 head basketball coaches at the same time, we will start getting the most results.

i mean what are we at now? only 2/3? that's not going to get anything done on the court

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 260
    Given: 110

Quote Originally Posted by cyatheart View Post
    Who is going to pay for it? I really think he would be fired if there was funds to do so. Can't fire him if you can't afford 2.5M buyout and another 1.5M for a new coach plus assistants.
    Yeah... but look at the math on lost customers.

Say we lose 1000 season ticket holders (a conservative amount... considering we were 2k below current levels just a couple years ago). Even if theyre all $99 (lets say 100 for ease of math. Thats $100,000 in lost ticket sales.

Now assume each game each average ticketholder buys $5 worth of other stuff (a conservative amount since you can practically blow that on a bottle of water there.. though some may not buy anything). 20 home games * $5 * 1000= another $100,000.

And with that, with those two *conservative* estimates, you're already at 200k, almost halfway to McD's yearly buyout. You could easily adjust that number up since you know some of those losses will be in the non-$99 ticket range.

This doesnt even account for any donors that may jump ship. Those could hurt even more, a few hundred or thousand bucks at a time.

Addict
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,780
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 36

Quote Originally Posted by snowcraig2.0 View Post
    My rationale is this:

JMHO
    You're over generalizing in your rationale.

We have 2 players going pro...one of which only because he NCAA screwed him over even though he still wanted to play.

Ham is the only bad mark you can pin on Mac this year. Starters transferring to other schools year after year is getting old.

I really wish the problems of players going to the NBA on us was a problem we had to face year after year.

Fanatic #25

Recruit
    Thumbs Up

I think it is safe to assume that JP had zero knowledge of the Ham and Buck transfers when he had the "I'm standing by my man" press conference. Obviously Greggy knew it was coming, therefore JP has to feel lied to. That in itself changes the whole situation and I have to believe JP is doing some serious soul searching this weekend and probably making a few phone calls. I don't think this is over and I wouldn't be surprised if we all get what we deserve as ISU fans, which is a new MBB coach and a renewed sense of hope. I have said all along that if the administration wants to go in this direction they will find the money. Thats how big business works and make no mistake about it, ISU MBB is BIG BUSINESS!

All-Star
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 183
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by westcyedclone View Post
    I think it is safe to assume that JP had zero knowledge of the Ham and Buck transfers when he had the "I'm standing by my man" press conference. Obviously Greggy knew it was coming, therefore JP has to feel lied to. That in itself changes the whole situation and I have to believe JP is doing some serious soul searching this weekend and probably making a few phone calls. I don't think this is over and I wouldn't be surprised if we all get what we deserve as ISU fans, which is a new MBB coach and a renewed sense of hope. I have said all along that if the administration wants to go in this direction they will find the money. Thats how big business works and make no mistake about it, ISU MBB is BIG BUSINESS!
    I hope you're right. Man, do I hope this is what is going on.

URBCLONE

All-Star
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 332
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by BigBake View Post
    You're over generalizing in your rationale.

We have 2 players going pro...one of which only because he NCAA screwed him over even though he still wanted to play.

Ham is the only bad mark you can pin on Mac this year. Starters transferring to other schools year after year is getting old.

I really wish the problems of players going to the NBA on us was a problem we had to face year after year.

We Fanatics talk a lot about "going pro". What does "going pro" mean? Is it always a good thing? Lucca "went pro"...is that a notch on the belt for ISU? Stinson and Blalock "went pro"...but not to the NBA, does ISU get to use those examples as positive reinforcement of a good program? Hornacek went from ISU to starter in the NBA Finals. Hoiberg had a long respectable career in the NBA. Fizer, Shirley, Grayer, etc. Do all of these count the same? How many players from ISU left for a CAREER in the NBA and how many were just leaving college or ISU because there was nothing at Iowa State worth staying for? Making it in the NBA after graduation, or leaving early to start a career and making it in the NBA are really the same positive reflection on ISU. I'm not sure leaving early to play for the Iowa Energy or in Europe has the same effect.

Pro
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 568
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 37

That won't happen:
    1. JP will look foolish in the coaches' eyes. What coach will want to come here if JP fires McD shortly after saying that he was going to return ?
    2. McD, like Chizik, is JP's personal investment. Would he want to admit that 2 of his biggest hires are flops ?
    3. Money issue. Where can we get the money ?

Addict
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,194
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 111

JP better be in contact with BIG DONORS/ALUMNI right now at this hour and come up with a decision to get this guy out of town. This program is in the toilet right now because of GMac. This is outragious.....McDermott has no control of this gig....and does NOT deserve this job with his poor coaching....and keeping these kids around. It has been an utter failure. Cut your losses JP....be a man and admit that this guy is not right for the job. Do it now....or else you will be gone either next fall....or next spring because of THIS situation with MBB.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 411
    Given: 282

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingCY View Post
    JP better be in contact with BIG DONORS/ALUMNI right now at this hour and come up with a decision to get this guy out of town. This program is in the toilet right now because of GMac. This is outragious.....McDermott has no control of this gig....and does NOT deserve this job with his poor coaching....and keeping these kids around. It has been an utter failure. Cut your losses JP....be a man and admit that this guy is not right for the job. Do it now....or else you will be gone either next fall....or next spring because of THIS situation with MBB.

This cracks me up. Says who?

Starter
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 667
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone13 View Post
    That won't happen:
    1. JP will look foolish in the coaches' eyes. What coach will want to come here if JP fires McD shortly after saying that he was going to return ?
    2. McD, like Chizik, is JP's personal investment. Would he want to admit that 2 of his biggest hires are flops ?
    3. Money issue. Where can we get the money ?
    If he doesn't, he will be next.