Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 403

Lawn Care Treatment Program Question

I use the Earl May lawn care program (6 bag) and have been thrilled with it over the past couple of years. The first bag includes crabgrass preventer. When I picked up my first bag yesterday I forgot to ask when I should apply it. Seems too cold and wet still but I have no clue if that is good or bad to be honest? Any suggestions for me? I don't mind stopping back at the store...but I thought I would check here first.

Thanks!

Recruit
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 132
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Lawn Care Treatment Program Question

Wait until mid April when it warms up some. Also make sure you don't apply it to any areas that you want to reseed new grass. It prevents all grass from germinating.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 718
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by GrayerClone View Post
    Wait until mid April when it warms up some. Also make sure you don't apply it to any areas that you want to reseed new grass. It prevents all grass from germinating.
    Thanks. Yard was pretty strong last year so I don't have to reseed this spring. In the past I remember being told to throw it down when something about red-something was budding. I just can't remember what that "red-something" was...

I take it that crabgrass doesn't germinate until mid-April then?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 262

I'm not an expert but I'm going to disagree with waiting until mid-April. Crabgrass can only be killed pre-emergent so I think you need to get it down at your first convenient opportunity. I might do mine this weekend now that the snow is melted.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 419
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ruxCYtable View Post
    I'm not an expert but I'm going to disagree with waiting until mid-April. Crabgrass can only be killed pre-emergent so I think you need to get it down at your first convenient opportunity. I might do mine this weekend now that the snow is melted.
    Actually, there are a few products that kill crabgrass post emergent and they work quite well.

A good rule of thumb for pre-emergent is apply when the forsythia bloom. Forsythia are the yellow flowered shrubs that bloom in spring. You don't want to apply pre emerge too soon or it breaks down not giving complete control throughout the season. Although, these days, pre emerges have greater windows.

If you follow the forsythia rule you will be just fine. Seed germination is based on soil temps not time of the year so using plant indicators really helps as they react to weather conditions as well. Using a specific date will work but in years of odd weather, it will hurt you.

To be honest, if you have a thick healthy lawn, you don't even need pre emergents. The turf will outcompete the weeds. It is only if you have voids or thin grass where weeds can creep in.

Last edited by tazclone; 03-12-2010 at 08:25 AM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 262

Quote Originally Posted by tazclone View Post
    Actually, there are a few products that kill crabgrass post emergent and they work quite well.

A good rule of thumb for pre-emergent is apply when the forsythia bloom. Forsythia are the yellow flowered shrubs that bloom in spring. You don't want to apply pre emerge too soon or it breaks down not giving complete control throughout the season. Although, these days, pre emerges have greater windows.

If you follow the forsythia rule you will be just fine. Seed germination is based on soil temps not time of the year so using plant indicators really helps as they react to weather conditions as well. Using a specific date will work but in years of odd weather, it will hurt you.

To be honest, if you have a thick healthy lawn, you don't even need pre emergents. The turf will outcompete the weeds. It is only if you have voids or thin grass where weeds can creep in.
    Wow, now THIS is damn good info.

All-Star
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 505
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 68

A good rule of thumb for pre-emergent is apply when the forsythia bloom. Forsythia are the yellow flowered shrubs that bloom in spring. You don't want to apply pre emerge too soon or it breaks down not giving coplete control throughout the season. Although, these days, pre emerges have greater windows.

I agree that waiting till the ground temp warms up is a great idea. Most grasses germinate when soil temps are between 50-60 degrees. Right now in central IA they are just slightly above the freezing mark. IMO there is no reason to apply just yet as there needs to be a stretch of warm weather before you need to worry about germination.

http://extension.agron.iastate.edu/N...mphistory.html Here is a link that shows current and recent history of soil temps at a 4inch depth.

Good Luck

“It’s beyond pride. It’s a restored trust. There’s a confidence again, a passion that teeters on swagger. More than anything, (Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads) has restored the Iowa State “it” factor, the steadfast belief that it is great to be a Cyclone...the man’s enthusiasm is genuine to the core...”
    – columnist Sean Keeler, Des Moines Register

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CykoAGR View Post
    I agree that waiting till the ground temp warms up is a great idea. Most grasses germinate when soil temps are between 50-60 degrees. Right now in central IA they are just slightly above the freezing mark. IMO there is no reason to apply just yet as there needs to be a stretch of warm weather before you need to worry about germination.

http://extension.agron.iastate.edu/N...mphistory.html Here is a link that shows current and recent history of soil temps at a 4inch depth.

Good Luck
    Be careful, you talk soil temps/degree days/ germination with typical homeowners and there eyes will roll back in their heads. I mean we could really talk about how they could not use winterizers and instead just put down potash and then follow up with a spring nitrate based N application when soil temps were 43 for maximum root producttion.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

OK...now I need to do a google image search for "forsythia"! No idea...

Walk On
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 75
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by ruxCYtable View Post

I completly agree. The earlier you get it down the better.

Walk On
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 75
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 8

Last year I switched from the Earl May brand fertilizer to the Menards brand. I liked Earl May but it is very expensive. Honestly, I couldn't tell any difference between the two. That is besides the price.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 196
    Given: 123

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling4Cy View Post
    No. Preemergence herbicides, especially those used in lawns, breakdown naturally in the soil over a short period of time. It would be a waste of money to put it out now. As someone said above you need to wait until soil temperatures are higher (ie. seeds able to germinate) before applying preemergence herbicides.

EDIT: Attached (abbreviated) herbicide label for the active ingredient of the crabgrass preveter product. Includes map for approximate crabgrass germination dates by region. You will want to apply about 2-weeks prior to that date (given average temperatures). Rainfall/Irrigation is essential to active the herbicide and get it into solution for uptake by germinating seed.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Last edited by ISUAgronomist; 12-20-2011 at 05:13 PM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Last year I switched from the Earl May brand fertilizer to the Menards brand. I liked Earl May but it is very expensive. Honestly, I couldn't tell any difference between the two. That is besides the price.
    It seems a little bit more expensive than in past years. With the $50 gift card I will receive for purchasing a yard treatment factored in...I spend about $200 for a 6-bag/application program for a 10,000 square foot yard. I don't mind $200 as it covers the entire year.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Not correct. If you put it down too early, it will break down and not give you full season coverage.

"Not at the table Carlos."

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Here you gohttp://blog.silive.com/weather/2009/04/forsythia.jpg

You will know what I am talking about when you see them this spring. Or check soil temps in the 3" range When it is around 50 degrees throw it out.

"Not at the table Carlos."