Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Cyclone42

A FACT Even McDermott supporters can't deny

The fact is, absolutely everybody in the ISU athletic department who was involved with the ISU men's basketball program going bad is still here. EVERYBODY.

That's the ultimate reason why I don't think this thing is going to turn around: there has been absolutely NO accountability AT ALL, period.

Take the Nebraska football program, for example. When the premier sports program at Nebraska tanked, there developed at Nebraska a real attitude for change, to turning the football program around. They started by firing the athletic director who was involved in the football program tanking in the first place, and replacing him with someone who was highly respected and who could choose a new coach to turn the program around. By all accounts, it has WORKED. I think a pre-season ranking of 5th is a bit too high, but something like 15th probably isn't. Even with losing Suh, the team will be fairly solid this year.

Now, I am not entirely sure if Pollard should be fired or not. He does appear to have improved the football program, although this was after all just PR's first season. But there needs to be accountability for what has happened to the ISU basketball program, and again, there has been none at all.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 596
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 12

Re: A FACT Even McDermott supporters can't deny

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone42 View Post
    The fact is, absolutely everybody in the ISU athletic department who was involved with the ISU men's basketball program going bad is still here. EVERYBODY.

That's the ultimate reason why I don't think this thing is going to turn around: there has been absolutely NO accountability AT ALL, period.

Take the Nebraska football program, for example. When the premier sports program at Nebraska tanked, there developed at Nebraska a real attitude for change, to turning the football program around. They started by firing the athletic director who was involved in the football program tanking in the first place, and replacing him with someone who was highly respected and who could choose a new coach to turn the program around. By all accounts, it has WORKED. I think a pre-season ranking of 5th is a bit too high, but something like 15th probably isn't. Even with losing Suh, the team will be fairly solid this year.

Now, I am not entirely sure if Pollard should be fired or not. He does appear to have improved the football program, although this was after all just PR's first season. But there needs to be accountability for what has happened to the ISU basketball program, and again, there has been none at all.
    Why don't you use a comparison that is at least somewhat relevant. Nebraska football has a history including 5 national championships. Iowa State basketball peaked at one elite 8 appearance.

Pro
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 33

All about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Cyclone42

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Why don't you use a comparison that is at least somewhat relevant. Nebraska football has a history including 5 national championships. Iowa State basketball peaked at one elite 8 appearance.
    The comparison is still valid. These are the premier sports programs at the respective institutions.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 596
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 12

The comparison is still valid. These are the premier sports programs at the respective institutions.
    Not even close to being valid. If you took a national survey, you wouldn't even come up with 1% of the respondents who would buy into trying to compare Nebraska football and Iowa State basketball.

Pro
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 33

Like I said before my message was taken off the board, how can anyone take you seriously with your avatar. Typical fair weather fan.

Last edited by rworkman83; 03-12-2010 at 01:48 AM.

Pro
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 277
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

I'm not even really sure what the point of the original post is, unless it's something along the lines of "look it worked for Nebraska football."

Even if you take your argument as valid, that method hasn't exactly always worked even for Nebraska football. See e.g., Bill Callahan replacing a fired Frank Solich.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,118
    Given: 587

I would guess that the basketball program is being evaluated, and any shortcomings will be dealt with. Not that I know of any, but it would surprise me to see some adjustments.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 361
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 17

At ISU, it's no longer about making $$. It's about saving $. Even if it means accepting mediocrity. Reminds me off the BVD days. He was great at saving money. Yes he fired LE. But whether you believe that LE caused us national embarrassment and deserved to be fired, anyone in the athletic department will tell you that BVD had an axe to grind.

It does appear to me that Pollard's days of glory are behind him. With experience, he has become more like BVD.

All-Star
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,207
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

It does appear to me that Pollard's days of glory are behind him. With experience, he has become more like BVD.[/QUOTE]

Ummm, No. BVD is in a league of his own and thank goodness he is long gone.

Z

The grass always looks greener, on the other side of the fence, but the dog over there might be meaner, on the other side of the fence… Stay in your own yard, play in your own yard!

Cyclone42

Quote Originally Posted by ZJohnson View Post
    Like I said before my message was taken off the board, how can anyone take you seriously with your avatar. Typical fair weather fan.
    It's appropriate. The MBB program is clearly in distress. Four straight losing seasons, we are losing our 2 best players, the incoming players are 3-stars (if we had a 5-star coming in I'd be more excited), and basically not much is being done to turn things around.

I will change it when we have our next football win.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 292
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 41

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    4.5, i dont count '97 as a whole

Husker Hater

Addict
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 1,118
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 46

If we had a former coach who had won like 5 national championships we could bring back as AD then this would be a valid comparison.

We don't so this idea fails.

Addict
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 1,118
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 46

Oh, and your fact is in fact not a fact but very incorrect.

Floyd, Larry, BVD and Wayne all played a vital role in putting the program where it is today.

Floyd - bolted on us early
    Larry - got drunk w opposing teams coeds and embrassed us mightily
    BVD - just failed miserably at being an AD and handling the sports programs
    Wayne - good recruiter forced to be a head coach which exposed his deficiencies. Also did questionable activities that got the NCAA sniffing around

Mac hasn't faired any better but he is the only one still here.

Fact ad stated by OP refuted.

All-Star
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,372
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 6

You're saying there needs to be accountability. So you're saying the current people in the situation are not owning up and instead pointing fingers at excuses. Yet at the same time, you're pointing fingers at them.

I'm not saying you're responsible for the state of the basketball team. But it's so easy to point fingers at someone else isn't it? In which case they are no different than us... you think it's them... they think it's a string of bad luck out of their control. Your opinion vs theirs.

I bet if something bad happened at the company you work for and somebody pointed fingers at you. You'd prolly give an excuse why or point fingers at someone else rather than stepping down from your job.