Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 56

Club Wrestling

Sorry, this is a bit long, but I hope will start some conversation.

I'm an ISU alum, former Nebraska HS wrestler. Walked on at ISU for about 2 weeks before I decided studying hard at engineering and having fun would be better use of my time (personally).

I remember, during the intramural tournament, we always talked about getting an ISU Club Wrestling team going. At the time, Bobby Douglas immediately shot the idea down because he didn't want average students messing with the mats, which is somewhat understandable.

I'm now in grad school at Colorado State. Like many big schools, they do not have an NCAA sanctioned team. Instead, they have a club team. I have been working out with them over the last two seasons. They mostly enter open tournaments (DII mostly), and some club team tournaments during the season. They have a club league, with a regional (national qualifier), and national tournament. The national tournament is currently going on in Virginia. NCWA National Championships - Schedule CSU is currently sitting 11th out of 80 or so teams.

I entered a couple open tournaments and had some fun, but sprained my ankle pretty badly in one. Having some former coaching experience, I basically assumed the role of assistant coach after that. We have a pretty good team, mostly CO kids, but a couple state champs and some pretty solid kids. I would consider the level of competition similar to that of a really good high school team, or an average DIII team.

I think it would be a great benefit for schools like ISU to have a club team. The intramural tournament is always tough as nails, and usually features a lot of great wrestlers. A lot of wrestlers want to keep on the mat, but may not be willing to put in the time it takes for varsity. Obviously teams like ISU are pretty deep. However, at times there are kids who step up, and might be willing to make the next step if offered the chance. Some schools use club teams as "farming" teams. For example, we compete against Air Force Prep, which is where most of the kids in the Air Force use a redshirt year.

Anybody have thoughts on this? Anyone else have experience with club teams? While some may worry that an increase in club teams may make it easier to get rid of NCAA teams, I think any wrestling is good for the sport in the long run. Curious to see your thoughts.

All-Star
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 329
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Re: Club Wrestling

I'm curious how many DI programs have club teams: Iowa, Okie St, Minny, or Penn St.? These schools could really generate some great wrestlers.

Could ISU use the club program to help their walkon program. So a good kid in high school really develops. The club program could help identify potential kids that would get passed over otherwise.

Or would the club program take away from ISU walkon program? A kid would rather be on the club and do tournaments than walkon and spend time behind an AA.

I would really like to see the sport expand and this is a good way to accomplish that. Great Post. Thankyou.

All-Star
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,078
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 56

I'm going to bump this once, I'm curious to see what other people think about this...thanks!

All-Star
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 311
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Melvin View Post
    I'm curious how many DI programs have club teams: Iowa, Okie St, Minny, or Penn St.? These schools could really generate some great wrestlers.

Could ISU use the club program to help their walkon program. So a good kid in high school really develops. The club program could help identify potential kids that would get passed over otherwise.

Or would the club program take away from ISU walkon program? A kid would rather be on the club and do tournaments than walkon and spend time behind an AA.

I would really like to see the sport expand and this is a good way to accomplish that. Great Post. Thankyou.
    I don't think Iowa has a club team. At least I never heard about one when I went to school there ('97-'01). I probably would have joined. I kind of wish I could still wrestle, but there aren't any real avenues for that past high school for the non-elites.

All-Star
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 882
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

myself and a guy I know got a group of students together to start one, and have done a little bit each year for the last 3. The main problem we ran into is that Cael would not let us use the mats, nor would the high school or the middle school. I am not sure if the guy that tried taking it over this year contacted KJ or not, so that might be an option now... but every attempt in the past has been shot down. we even went as far as to practice on the judo mats in forker, which is like wrestling on sandpaper. that didnt last long.

Starter
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 602
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

I thought Kansas State had a club team that was competing here and there. (Kansas as a state has some good wrestlers see Boaz Beard). I don't know where. You need to talk to the University, see if they'll let you have some use of facility. Seems like there could be some space in Beyer, where they used to practice, maybe not. That was a long time ago.